• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Show us your flintlock squirrel rifles!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Been thinking about a 32 caliber squirrel rifle. Just now had a good range session with my 45 flinter, so....I am toying with the idea of flintlock ignition for the new rifle.

Please share any photos and/or thoughts about your squirrel-getters! Thanks! :bow:

I am unable to post pic's of my squirrel rifle, but consider a .36 instead of a .32. IMO

My only .32 is by Danny Caywood. It's as pretty as it shoots. But my favorite limb bacon gun was by an unknown builder of sorts. It's a .36 Wheeler and the prettiest rifle I own and the best built custom. I've tried to track the builder down but always came to dead ends....

Somethin' about the small bores!!!!!

RBOY.jpg

LBOY.jpg

13/16 X 37" X .36 cal Green Mountain bbl, L&R John Bailes Flintlock.
The stock is a Northampton style and has 5/16 cast for RH shooter.

This is the smallest caliber rifle I have so I can't show a .32. :(

Very nice swampy and zonie. Swampy is the rear sight forward for your eye? Larry Wv

My next project is a squirrel rifle, was thinking a 36 but some of my friends have said a .40 would be better any sugestions?

larry wv said:
Very nice swampy and zonie. Swampy is the rear sight forward for your eye? Larry Wv

Yep, I need the rear site way forward, usually above the entry pipe for these eyes to shoot open sites.

PICT0377.jpg

This is my squirrel rifle of the past three years, .36 x 38" SMR. Prior to this it was a .32 Crockett.

My squirrel rifle is the same as my deer rifle - a .54 cal flintlock.

I'm not flush enough to keep a rifle on hand for every species, so I picked what I need for the largest I might encounter and can load it down for the smaller critters.

HPIM0452.jpg

HPIM0434.jpg

HPIM0428.jpg

cherry28.jpg

cherry33.jpg

Stumpkiller, may we assume you rely on head shots for harvesting squirrels with that shoulder mounted howitzer of yours? Beautiful rifles, fellows, every one of them.

Lobo

I have two. The first is a .36 I built about 30 years ago. I originally built it to take turkey but have never hunted turkey with the rifle. It has done well with match shooting and bunny killing. It is the top rifle in the picture.

Flinters1.jpg

The second is See'pea, a .32 I built about four years ago. I wanted something lightweight to carry all day chasing bunnies. It has a 36" - 3/4" GM barrel.

SweePea1.jpg

Here it is, it ain't much to look at being a dirt poor boy. 42 inch .40 caliber barrel, hand forged trigger guard and trigger, small Siler lock, ramrod and grease hole filled with Deer tallow.
I went with the 40 because the 32s and 36s do not
hit the heavy steel plates hard enough. The 40 does much better.

100_0069.jpg

Here's my little beauty! .36 cal. No idea who made it about 50 yrs. ago. All it has on it is the initials "SK" and the monogram of "RB" on the patch box cover. Came from a guy that bought it used in 1987. It's really accurate and I shot a 20 out of 25 at the range 2 weeks ago. I bought a Maxi-Bullet mold that cast 125 grn bullets for long range. It's a nice piece of curly maple on the stock and excellent workmanship.
IMG_3226.jpg

IMG_3227.jpg

IMG_3228.jpg

IMG_3229.jpg

IMG_3230.jpg

Latest posts

Back