• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

poor boy???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trader47

32 Cal
Reaction score
This rifle was found in central Illinois. I'm thinking it could be a poor boy. Looks to me like salvaged barrel, lock & triggers. Newly made stock (walnut) trigger guard & but plate (steel). Barrel is 34", 36 cal. at least refreshed if not re-bored (looks like new bore), overall length is 50" muzzle to toe. There are no markings other than Golcher on the lock and a dot capital L dot ( . L . ) on the muzzle This is the limit on photos for a post but I have more if anyone would like. Your thoughts please

Attachments

• DSCN5744_1154.JPG
    DSCN5744_1154.JPG
    190.1 KB · Views: 134
  • DSCN5745_1155.JPG
    DSCN5745_1155.JPG
    220.4 KB · Views: 128
  • DSCN5746_1156.JPG
    DSCN5746_1156.JPG
    208.6 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCN5747_1157.JPG
    DSCN5747_1157.JPG
    187.8 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCN5748_1158.JPG
    DSCN5748_1158.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 105
  • DSCN5749_1159.JPG
    DSCN5749_1159.JPG
    183.7 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCN5750_1160.JPG
    DSCN5750_1160.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCN5751_1161.JPG
    DSCN5751_1161.JPG
    188.1 KB · Views: 100
  • DSCN5752_1162.JPG
    DSCN5752_1162.JPG
    166.1 KB · Views: 104
  • DSCN5753_1163.JPG
    DSCN5753_1163.JPG
    212.1 KB · Views: 102
I would agree with @hanshi . He knows stuff!

I think of a "poor boy" as a real minimalist-type rifle... No butt plate, no nosecap, no inlays, and usually fullstocked. I think what you have there is a nice, plain, Midwestern halfstock, a "squirrel rifle," from the late percussion era. If it were stouter, heavier, and had a larger bore, most people would call it a "plains rifle," although that is a term coined by collectors in the mid-twentieth century. Golcher (or Goulcher) is the name of the lockmaker. Locks like that were sold by thousands in hardware stores, and were routinely used by the gunsmiths of that period. I have no idea about the ".L." mark. So many old, handmade guns have little or nothing to go on with regard to identification of the maker.

If that rifle was recently (within the last 50-75 years or so) restocked, it was very professionally done by someone who not only had the skills, but the knowledge to build a stock of the appropriate style.

It may be worth your while to look through Curtis Johnson's books on the gunmakers of Illinois. I believe this is in two volumes. The books are pretty expensive, but you might borrow them through interlibrary loan. Mr. Johnson is the foremost authority on the muzzleloading rifles of that region.

Rifles of this type are under-appreciated, in my opinion, and under-valued. You still see nice ones up for sale and on auction sites for just a few hundred dollars. Yet, they are historically significant in their own right.

That one looks to be in pretty good shape. It won't hurt it to shoot it if appropriate loads are used, followed by proper cleaning.

Thanks for showing your rifle!

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
In that good a shape it needs to be fired and enjoyed. From my limited knowledge/understanding I wouldn't call it a "poor boy", but what do I know.
It is in pretty good shape & I have considered shooting it, the bore is like new.

Attachments

• DSCN5764_1174.JPG
    DSCN5764_1174.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCN5765_1175.JPG
    DSCN5765_1175.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 35
I would agree with @hanshi . He knows stuff!

I think of a "poor boy" as a real minimalist-type rifle... No butt plate, no nosecap, no inlays, and usually fullstocked. I think what you have there is a nice, plain, Midwestern halfstock, a "squirrel rifle," from the late percussion era. If it were stouter, heavier, and had a larger bore, most people would call it a "plains rifle," although that is a term coined by collectors in the mid-twentieth century. Golcher (or Goulcher) is the name of the lockmaker. Locks like that were sold by thousands in hardware stores, and were routinely used by the gunsmiths of that period. I have no idea about the ".L." mark. So many old, handmade guns have little or nothing to go on with regard to identification of the maker.

If that rifle was recently (within the last 50-75 years or so) restocked, it was very professionally done by someone who not only had the skills, but the knowledge to build a stock of the appropriate style.

It may be worth your while to look through Curtis Johnson's books on the gunmakers of Illinois. I believe this is in two volumes. The books are pretty expensive, but you might borrow them through interlibrary loan. Mr. Johnson is the foremost authority on the muzzleloading rifles of that region.

Rifles of this type are under-appreciated, in my opinion, and under-valued. You still see nice ones up for sale and on auction sites for just a few hundred dollars. Yet, they are historically significant in their own right.

That one looks to be in pretty good shape. It won't hurt it to shoot it if appropriate loads are used, followed by proper cleaning.

Thanks for showing your rifle!

Notchy Bob
If my memory still remembers right I did some trading with a man by the name of Johnson on a full stock Geo. Winn rifle made in Carrollton IL.. That was like 15 20 years ago, don't think I have any paperwork from that far back. Thanks for jogging the old memory, Ill start lookin

If my memory still remembers right I did some trading with a man by the name of Johnson on a full stock Geo. Winn rifle made in Carrollton IL.. That was like 15 20 years ago, don't think I have any paperwork from that far back. Thanks for jogging the old memory, Ill start lookin

Did some checking, and yes Curtis Johnson is the man I traded with. I even found his flicker page showing a full set of photos and a nice right-up on Geo. W Winn & family. I tried sending him a message through flicker but they wouldn't recognize my email. He was quite happy to get the Winn rifle from me, and since I found this one in Illinois it may also interest him. So if anyone would have his contact information and would be kind enough make contact with him and let him know that if interested I could be reached here. Thanksmuch

Back