• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Alaskan 54 poor boy.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Village Public Safety Officer. 15 years. Plus 15 years in Maine law enforcement. Getting ready for retirement!
Very cool. Please keep us posted on your build and muzzleloader bear hunting adventures. I'm in Fairbanks. I did a little stomping around here after moose with my .54 percussion GPR (Creamer's Field draw hunt) but never got close enough to a moose to feel comfortable taking a shot. Prince William Sound is amazing. I've gone to Maine many times as my parents retired there. Maine has nice woods but I like ours more. I'd much rather deal with an occasional griz than billions of ticks.

So I have decided to make a heavy 54 cal poor boy. I named it Alaskan 54. Made from a Virginia muzzleloader stock for the thickness, it will have a L&R mule ear lock. The barrel is a Colerain 1;56 twist. 36 inch long. No patch box, just a tapered rectangle hole. Buttplate will be a crescent steel plate tacked in place. All iron furniture. Simple, inexpensive, heavy for rugged bear hunting for here in Alaska.😁
Do you carry a side arm as well? I think of the Lewis and Clark boys that were using something like .53 cal round balls on grizzly and most of them had to jump in the river after several hits to save themselves.
I bought a Navy Arms Hawken Hunter in .58 cal with a short 26 inch barrel for moose hunting but never used it. It shoots a 620 grain maxi bullet into about 4 inch group at 100 yards with a 150 grain charge of Goex 2F. Me thinks that would be good bear medicine if one could get a good hit. I chronograph it at 1400 fps ( I have my doubts about the reading but that is what the screen said and it was always accurate on everything else) but the recoil will make your eyes water and nose run ! 😄

Last edited:
Do you carry a side arm as well? I think of the Lewis and Clark boys that were using something like .53 cal round balls on grizzly and most of them had to jump in the river after several hits to save themselves.
I bought a Navy Arms Hawken Hunter in .58 cal with a short 26 inch barrel for moose hunting but never used it. It shoots a 620 grain maxi bullet into about 4 inch group at 100 yards with a 150 grain charge of Goex 2F. Me thinks that would be good bear medicine if one could get a good hit. I chronograph it at 1400 fps ( I have my doubts about the reading but that is what the screen said and it was always accurate on everything else) but the recoil will make your eyes water and nose run ! 😄

Ya I bet that does recoil a bit and would be some good grizz medicine! I have a gun that flings 405gr .458 bullets about 1450-1500 and it certainly keeps me awake shooting it.

Be careful out there.....
bear hunting.jpg

Grew up in Maine. Norway was my home town. I moved to Alaska in 99. To get away from what Maine has turned into.
Boy, you must like rain ! I grew up on a dairy farm in Michigan and the Air Force brought me to AK in 1971. I loved it so well I never went back . Been here 51 years this past July and have never grown tired of the place. I work out side though and the cold is starting to bother my hands and back.

Boy, you must like rain ! I grew up on a dairy farm in Michigan and the Air Force brought me to AK in 1971. I loved it so well I never went back . Been here 51 years this past July and have never grown tired of the place. I work out side though and the cold is starting to bother my hands and back.
True about the rain , not saying I like it . But retirement home is more in the interior. Cold!!! And a little drier.

40 years in Southeast Alaska, the last 31 living around the Brown bears. I personally know 6 people who were attacked by bears. Two were chewed up pretty bad before their partner shot the bear off them, one managed to kill the bear before it got to him, another shot from the hip and turned the bear which disappeared, and the two fellows in the skiff that pulled up on a beach managed to kill the bear with 9 shots before it got into the skiff. No muzzle loaders for me. I carried a heavy caliber single shot and then a heavy bolt action after I started to get a little nervous after the last attack.
The photo is of the 9' bear that tried to get in the skiff.

Attachments

• IMG_3835.JPG
    IMG_3835.JPG
    358.5 KB · Views: 0
I use a cast of approximately 8Bhn on my .58 in either round ball or Lee Real Bullet. Let me tell you, They are exceptionally accurate.
If needed, Could load both barrels with Double balls for a Quadruple effect of Lead. Approximately 150gr of Swiss 2F will certainly bring a tear to that bear or other large gnarly creatures eye… and yours when you pull both triggers at same time.

Latest posts

Back