• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Original New Hampshire Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I receive joe’s weekly email looks pretty nice for some one interested in an original rifle built in New Hampshire
Anyone know anything about this rifle builder
IMG_1669.jpeg

• Hampshire Half-Stock Percussion Target Rifle by DH Hilliard
  • 40 Caliber, 33 1/8" heavy octagon barrel with a fine, bright bore that has a small amount of mild freckling within the grooves at the muzzle. This is a handsome rifle, made by well-known underhammer maker David Hall Hilliard of Cornish, NH ca. 1860. The barrel is turned down at the muzzle for a no longer present bullet starter and has an overall mottled gray-brown patina that blends with the original browning towards the "D.H. HILLIARD / CORNISH / NH / CAST STEEL" marked breech. The rifle is outfitted with an embellished, "J. HAPGOOD" marked, back-action lock that has a strong mainspring and catches firmly at both the half and full-cock notches. The single set trigger works as it should. The walnut stock is fastened by two wedges and has an excellent reapplied oil finish with some minor handling marks and small surface blemishes scattered throughout. The stock has a pewter nosecap and is further decorated with numerous ornate German silver inlays, including a simple, but elegant trigger guard, patchbox (containing two spare nipples), and a crescent buttplate. The rifle has a period hooded front sight mated to an original rear aperture sight installed on the wrist, and comes with a brass-tipped ramrod. This is a fine example of a conventional percussion rifle, by a famous maker, and is in very good-fine condition overall. Antique

Hilliard was a major percussion gun maker in Cornish, which is near the Connecticut River separating NH and Vermont. I'm on a trip and away from my files, but there's lots about Hilliard on the web. There is an extensive collection of his papers in the small museum in Cornish. He is mostly noted for rather plain single barrel under hammer guns but Hilliard made all types. I believe that he bought the under hammer design from Nicanor Kendall who operated across the river in Windsor, Vermont. I have a nice percussion over under combination gun that Hilliard made

Hilliard was a major percussion gun maker in Cornish, which is near the Connecticut River separating NH and Vermont. I'm on a trip and away from my files, but there's lots about Hilliard on the web. There is an extensive collection of his papers in the small museum in Cornish. He is mostly noted for rather plain single barrel under hammer guns but Hilliard made all types. I believe that he bought the under hammer design from Nicanor Kendall who operated across the river in Windsor, Vermont. I have a nice percussion over under combination gun that Hilliard made
Thanks for your reply. It on Joe Salters website it looks like a really well made rifle and it is in beautiful condition!

Latest posts

Back