• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for Identification (Trade Shotgun Birmingham 1813-1855 with non-original Lockplate)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MusicaleBlu

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hello All!

Here's a gun that was passed down from my 3rd or 4th-Great Grandfather. I'm wondering if anyone can identify it. It is a 60in muzzle-loading percussion smoothbore trade shotgun with a 16mm diameter muzzle. On the top of the barrel, it indicates that the gun was proved in Birmingham between 1813-1855. My guess is that the gun would have probably been purchased in St-Cesaire (Quebec) c. 1830 as a new gun or in Farnham (Quebec) c. 1870 as a refurbished gun with an older lock plate?

The lock plate is non-original and looks like it was removed from an older flint-lock and converted into a percussion mechanism. There is a leafy branch on the hammer alongside a set of decorative markings closer towards the butt.

Other than the proof markings, there is a star on the underside of the gun, on the bottom of the trigger guard. There is a three-leaved design on the top of the metal butt. There is an unknown marking, similar to "VII" on the underside of the back of the barrel (not visible without removing the barrel). It looks like there is a cylindrical hole on the underside of the front of the stock, potentially for another metal rod.

Any advice or information is much appreciated. I am also wondering whether it was probably bought original and then the repairs were done afterwards by my family member, or if it was more probable that my family member bought the gun after these repairs were completed?

Attachments

• IMG_4572.png
    IMG_4572.png
    10 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4563.png
    IMG_4563.png
    11.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4566.png
    IMG_4566.png
    5.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4561.png
    IMG_4561.png