• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Alaskan 54 poor boy.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Um… Ya, I dont think I agree with all of your statement.

That thick muscle,solid Fat/fur and heavy bone can soak up multiple shots.

Seen deer run pretty far with a 12g slug thru the boiler maker…and that’s a small animal compared to a big ol bear
Have you tried Lee Real Bullets in your 58 double? Accurate?

Have you tried Lee Real Bullets in your 58 double? Accurate?
Absolutely. I cast them at 8Bhn
Water quenched ,440gr with a smidge of Crisco

They are extremely accurate in my 58 Kodiak.

The Same with Cast ball at 280gr , 8bhn

Either with 75gr of Goex 2F

Off hand at 80 yards, will put em in a baseball size group …If I don’t drink to much coffee.

Honestly.

Attachments

• 523D096F-1BEF-4D6F-9830-2E4B7AA9577F.jpeg
    523D096F-1BEF-4D6F-9830-2E4B7AA9577F.jpeg
    577.9 KB · Views: 0
  • B336EC09-085B-4EEB-8C6B-675E7B704F36.jpeg
    B336EC09-085B-4EEB-8C6B-675E7B704F36.jpeg
    451 KB · Views: 0
Absolutely. I cast them at 8Bhn
Water quenched ,440gr with a smidge of Crisco

They are extremely accurate in my 58 Kodiak.

The Same with Cast ball at 280gr , 8bhn

Either with 75gr of Goex 2F

Off hand at 80 yards, will put em in a baseball size group …If I don’t drink to much coffee.

Honestly.
I have both of the 54 cal molds. I can see a 54 cal double in my future. I guess I am a 54 nut!

Um… Ya, I dont think I agree with all of your statement.

That thick muscle,solid Fat/fur and heavy bone can soak up multiple shots.

Seen deer run pretty far with a 12g slug thru the boiler maker…and that’s a small animal compared to a big ol bear
Hey fair enough. That’s what makes these forums interesting, people’s opinions, experiences that they’re derived from, and conversations that ensue.

Curious what specifically you’re in disagreement with ?
Ill do my best to explain my opinions and where they come from if interested.
I thought I covered my bases pretty well, lol..

Bears tend to die quite well and are not nearly as bullet proof as they’re made out to be.
Many of hunters have 1st hand knowledge of this topic. Though exaggerated many times , the fact is …. there are “plenty” of cases that prove your statement isn’t accurate.

I do agree with most things you have said. That’s why forums are great… opinions. It’s when others disrespect and disregard someone’s opinion, everything like respect gets misplaced.

Many of hunters have 1st hand knowledge of this topic. Though exaggerated many times , the fact is …. there are “plenty” of cases that prove your statement isn’t accurate.

I do agree with most things you have said. That’s why forums are great… opinions. It’s when others disrespect and disregard someone’s opinion, everything like respect gets misplaced.
Absolutely, I’m with you there. Only respect coming from me, I’ve enjoyed the short time I’ve been participating in this forum, I think it’s very cool and know there’s a lot of neat people here.

I guess to your point, it’s the exaggeration part that I’m speaking to, and looking at with some tongue in cheek humor.
While obviously not the authority on the matter, I do feel with my occupation as a big game guide up here that I’ve seen enough to base a decent opinion.
From what I’ve seen, guiding hunters fall and spring, Alaska Range and Kodiak, bears are not magical.
Extremely strong, tough, challenging and exhilarating to hunt, respected, and potentially very dangerous? Of course! That’s what makes it what it is! But with the correct placement of a projectile or arrow they will die as well as anything else.
The cases you might be referring to, are almost undoubtedly the worst case scenarios of going in after a marginally hit bear, coming up on a bear on a kill, the classic sow and cub deal, or any other situation we can dream up where the bear is protecting something, or at least thinks it is.
These are all quite different than a typical bear hunting situation.
Funny, on another forum I’ve been poking around on recently, someone posted a pretty funny Gary Larson cartoon that applies well to this conversation, I’ll see if I can find it and figure out how to share.
Anyways, sounds like the OP is pretty tuned into his situation. Seemed to humbly reveal his experience, acknowledge the limitations of distance and relatively low energy his projectile will have, and an overall comfort with his caliber, which I suppose is most important.
Hope all I said makes sense, lol

-Ben

Bill Sainsbury out in B.C Canada has a Sharon Hawken for sale with a two barrel set up one in 50 the other 58 the pewter forearm tip needs work. I would go minimum 54 I have had a Kodiak rifle in 58 cal shooting the big minis ...I like the thumb size hole going in ......most animals are bang flop

Absolutely, I’m with you there. Only respect coming from me, I’ve enjoyed the short time I’ve been participating in this forum, I think it’s very cool and know there’s a lot of neat people here.

I guess to your point, it’s the exaggeration part that I’m speaking to, and looking at with some tongue in cheek humor.
While obviously not the authority on the matter, I do feel with my occupation as a big game guide up here that I’ve seen enough to base a decent opinion.
From what I’ve seen, guiding hunters fall and spring, Alaska Range and Kodiak, bears are not magical.
Extremely strong, tough, challenging and exhilarating to hunt, respected, and potentially very dangerous? Of course! That’s what makes it what it is! But with the correct placement of a projectile or arrow they will die as well as anything else.
The cases you might be referring to, are almost undoubtedly the worst case scenarios of going in after a marginally hit bear, coming up on a bear on a kill, the classic sow and cub deal, or any other situation we can dream up where the bear is protecting something, or at least thinks it is.
These are all quite different than a typical bear hunting situation.
Funny, on another forum I’ve been poking around on recently, someone posted a pretty funny Gary Larson cartoon that applies well to this conversation, I’ll see if I can find it and figure out how to share.
Anyways, sounds like the OP is pretty tuned into his situation. Seemed to humbly reveal his experience, acknowledge the limitations of distance and relatively low energy his projectile will have, and an overall comfort with his caliber, which I suppose is most important.
Hope all I said makes sense, lol

-Ben
Well said

Back