• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Charlie Caywood Southern Mountain Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpd303

Nearly Normal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
As promised here is my C. Caywood SMR (I think it's a Poor Boy style) that I acquired from one of my officers on Thursday 2/29/24 Leap year gun. In my eye it is gorgeous in it's simplicity. I know the history on this rifle so that is a plus. Charlie made it in the late '60s or early '70s and donated it to one of the Arkansas State Championship Muzzle Shoots at Berryville to be auctioned off. It was owned by a local gentleman that I know and he sold it to Berryville Pawn Shop recently and my officers bought it and I traded him out of it.
It hasn't been shot much, probably by Charlie, testing it after he finished the build. The owner who sold it to the pawn shop never shot it and it sat in his gun rack all those years. When I got it I began cleaning it up. The bore looked OK just some dirt/dust etc. While I was cleaning the bore got a little concerned that the patches were coming out with a brown residue that looked like rust. I finally figured out it was something like RIG with years of dirt stuck in it.

The bore is 50 caliber with a coned muzzle barrel length is 37 1/2 inches long with a 1:60 twist rate. The bore cleaned up and it looks new/un-fired perfect. The lock & barrel in letting is some of the best I have ever seen. I pulled the lock and it was spotless just needed oiling to move as smooth as glass. The original flint sparks like an arc welder. The rifle weighs 8 pounds and has a set trigger, so I think Charlie built it as a target rifle. I can't wait to show it to him at the spring muzzle shoot in May. Next thing up is to shoot it.
What do y'all think a value would be.
:)

Some pictures my little camera doesn't take the best, I'll try some outside in sunlight later.
100_2401.JPG
100_2402.JPG
I was told this is Charlie's signature scroll work.
100_2405.JPG
Heel & toe plates but no butt plate all the metal is browned.
100_2403.JPG
A shot of the bore with my bore scope while I was cleaning it. The breech face & flash channel, with some of the crud around the outer edge, that is now gone.
100_2410.JPG

Attachments

• 100_2406.JPG
    100_2406.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
👍 Own that rifle and you wouldn't ever need anything else. Glad to hear Charlie is still topside. Can't answer your question. But, I have noticed, rifles over $1.500.00 are hard to sell. Money is tight these days.

As promised here is my C. Caywood SMR (I think it's a Poor Boy style) that I acquired from one of my officers on Thursday 2/29/24 Leap year gun. In my eye it is gorgeous in it's simplicity. I know the history on this rifle so that is a plus. Charlie made it in the late '60s or early '70s and donated it to one of the Arkansas State Championship Muzzle Shoots at Berryville to be auctioned off. It was owned by a local gentleman that I know and he sold it to Berryville Pawn Shop recently and my officers bought it and I traded him out of it.
It hasn't been shot much, probably by Charlie, testing it after he finished the build. The owner who sold it to the pawn shop never shot it and it sat in his gun rack all those years. When I got it I began cleaning it up. The bore looked OK just some dirt/dust etc. While I was cleaning the bore got a little concerned that the patches were coming out with a brown residue that looked like rust. I finally figured out it was something like RIG with years of dirt stuck in it.

The bore is 50 caliber with a coned muzzle barrel length is 37 1/2 inches long with a 1:60 twist rate. The bore cleaned up and it looks new/un-fired perfect. The lock & barrel in letting is some of the best I have ever seen. I pulled the lock and it was spotless just needed oiling to move as smooth as glass. The original flint sparks like an arc welder. The rifle weighs 8 pounds and has a set trigger, so I think Charlie built it as a target rifle. I can't wait to show it to him at the spring muzzle shoot in May. Next thing up is to shoot it.
What do y'all think a value would be.
:)

Some pictures my little camera doesn't take the best, I'll try some outside in sunlight later.
View attachment 301029
View attachment 301030
I was told this is Charlie's signature scroll work.
View attachment 301032
Heel & toe plates but no butt plate all the metal is browned.
View attachment 301033
A shot of the bore with my bore scope while I was cleaning it. The breech face & flash channel, with some of the crud around the outer edge, that is now gone.
View attachment 301041
Back in those days he used a Siler lock before they came out with the proper English style locks ..nice gun regardless.

I think you are right, the other locks he used that were made by Mike Rowe were marked CC&R (Caywood Caywood & Rowe) on the inside and this one isn't marked at all. In my opinion the Siler locks hold their own against the best of them.
I took it out today for a test run, shooting from my front deck at 32 yards. A total of 11 rounds fired. The first round was a fouling shot at the berm to check the locks function. That first round fired as fast as any percussion gun I own, wow kboom instead of k-boom.
The starting load was a .490 RB with some old Wonder Lube .010 patches (which disintegrated) and 70gr FFG Goex. I then fired 5 rounds at the target off hand. I wasn't impressed with the group which was high and to the left. I will definitely have to look through my range boxes for some .010 or .011 linen patch material.
The next group of 5 was .490 RB with the same Wonder Lube .010 patches and 65gr of FFFG Goex but I used my loading stand as a make shift rest. All 5 shots were a little low and to the right but the group improved considerably. Now the embarrassing part, on the 4th shot I got a flash in the pan. I re-primed and used a flash hole pick, another flash in the pan. I would have bet money that I had followed my routine powder, patch, ball & ram home. I would have lost, a dry ball.:mad:
I went inside and got my Co2 ball dis-charger and poof the ball came out and traveled about 20 yards, almost hitting my old beater truck. Because the balls were getting a little hard to ram home, I wiped the bore with Hopes #9 Black powder solvent & Patch lube and the next 2 shots went off without any problems and just as fast as the first. By then it was beginning to get dark and I needed to clean it. A couple of pictures.
Loading stand.
20240306_131231.jpg
Pitiful target. The little holes are from a unmentionable.😁
20240306_163109.jpg

Last edited:
I endoscoped the bore again after running a clean patch with Barricade a couple of times and it is spotless. I figured out why I had to wipe the bore due to fouling several times. It confirmed my suspicion that RIG was used long ago to protect from rust. RIG is a petroleum based grease and even though I cleaned the bore thoroughly petroleum residue remained in the groves/pores and when I shot it the residue produced the excess polymerized carbon, along with the old Wonder Lube patches. Have I said that I really dislike Wonder Lube before.:mad:
It's been raining on & off all day and the weather guessers predict it for the next several days so no shooting for a while.

EDIT: This from Caywood Guns about fouling, if anyone has doubt about petroleum products & black powder.
"We commonly hear of fouling problems encountered by black powder shooters and have researched the problem in depth. The use of any petroleum product (oil) in your bore will cause undue fouling. The reason petroleum/oil doesn't work is that it scorches at about 450 degress and black powder burns at about 900 degrees; the result is scorching! Oil and other petroleum products are introduced into the bore during machining and will invade the pores of steel. Black powder and scorched oil are incompatible and create large amounts of hard-to-remove fouling."

Attachments

• Rig Universal Grease.pdf
    297 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I thought I had it really clean, however I was using BP solvent and the barrel wasn't broken in yet so some dried up RIG was still in the metals pores/machining marks when the barrel was made. I should have cleaned it with acetone or some other strong solvent but did not want to remove the barrel from the stock or ruin the finish.

Latest posts

Back