• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Alaskan 54 poor boy.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was simply astonished at the accuracy of my Pedersoli Kodiak… with Either a ball or slug. It’s one of my single most favorite hunting tools.
Made a black walnut / leather speed loader for it on the side.

40 years in Southeast Alaska, the last 31 living around the Brown bears. I personally know 6 people who were attacked by bears. Two were chewed up pretty bad before their partner shot the bear off them, one managed to kill the bear before it got to him, another shot from the hip and turned the bear which disappeared, and the two fellows in the skiff that pulled up on a beach managed to kill the bear with 9 shots before it got into the skiff. No muzzle loaders for me. I carried a heavy caliber single shot and then a heavy bolt action after I started to get a little nervous after the last attack.
The photo is of the 9' bear that tried to get in the skiff.
Beautiful bear! Yup things do go bad. I have had close calls. One a few weeks ago duck hunting. The old guy I think I woke up after shooting a duck. He was not happy and about 15 ft away. I left the area and came back later to retrieve my duck.

I use a cast of approximately 8Bhn on my .58 in either round ball or Lee Real Bullet. Let me tell you, They are exceptionally accurate.
If needed, Could load both barrels with Double balls for a Quadruple effect of Lead. Approximately 150gr of Swiss 2F will certainly bring a tear to that bear or other large gnarly creatures eye… and yours when you pull both triggers at same time.

What twist is your 58? I think mine is 66 and have wondered if a real would work out of it

I would love to have a double rifle! Some day!
Makes sense just as it does in Africa on dangerous game but they would be heavy to tote in the alders and spruce of South Central all day long. I believe the Kodiaks in .72 cal weight about 12 lbs. don't they? I have handled one a friend had and guessed it to be about 12 lbs when I hefted it. My short,single barreled .58 cal Hawken Hunter goes about 9-10 lbs.
My .58 I think I remember reading is 1-60 and should not stabilize the 620 grain maxie but it does at least to the 100yards I've tested it to. The fact that it does tends to make me believe the 1400 fps reading I got from the chronograph. I need to make a lead slug for it and get a sure reading on the pitch as it should be faster than 1-60 for a gun designed for conicals.

Last edited:
I've hunted every year but 2 of the 51 years I've lived here and have seen many bears up close, both brown and black. I've only sustained one charge and it was a 400 lbs, honest 6 ft (green) black bear boar. I have his hide. He came for my hunting buddy off to my side and I was able (with Gods help) to kill him at about six ft from closing on my friend. The gun was my 4 inch 44 revolver with Kieth loads.
We would have been in trouble if I had only had a single shot rifle length gun that day.

A .429 cal chunk of lead ,harder cast of 255grs at 1250fps is sufficient to enter a chest cavity and get to vitals. 6 of them is great….

However if I have Loaded 2 Lee Real bullets that are .58 caliber and weight is 440grains , traveling 1400fps … I’d feel just as confident.

Or 4 280gr harder cast balls loaded would also be sufficient.

Many people can’t shoot handguns as accurate as a shouldered weapon.

A Short double rifle… Would be my preference. Black powder or Smokless.
I've hunted every year but 2 of the 51 years I've lived here and have seen many bears up close, both brown and black. I've only sustained one charge and it was a 400 lbs, honest 6 ft (green) black bear boar. I have his hide. He came for my hunting buddy off to my side and I was able (with Gods help) to kill him at about six ft from closing on my friend. The gun was my 4 inch 44 revolver with Kieth loads.
We would have been in trouble if I had only had a single shot rifle length gun that day.

A .429 cal chunk of lead ,harder cast of 255grs at 1250fps is sufficient to enter a chest cavity and get to vitals. 6 of them is great….

However if I have Loaded 2 Lee Real bullets that are .58 caliber and weight is 440grains , traveling 1400fps … I’d feel just as confident.

Or 4 280gr harder cast balls loaded would also be sufficient.

Many people can’t shoot handguns as accurate as a shouldered weapon.

A Short double rifle… Would be my preference. Black powder or Smokless.
The slugs went clear through chest to back and side to side with two hits. The second cut his wiring through the spine as he went by me and he went down like a window sash weight ! It was all a blur it happened so fast and I doubt I could have made the shot again in many tries ! No, it was definitely God guiding my hands that day !
The first shot was at 21 yards, went in his chest and came out his back missing the spine. It put him in full charge straight at my hunting pard and the shot that killed him was a snap shot in DA as he blew by me.

I know we are not supposed to talk about “Unmentionable” firearms… yet the one you used is extremely and highly regarded in my safe. One is from era of Dirty Harry and other is a old stainless version.

So glad to hear it worked so well for you… And “The Lord guided”. I agree -A True testimony to that combination. You have been there and done it. Hats off to ya Sr.

Still, I would likely prefer my Double 58 loaded up hot for a full on charging Fur monster.

Sounds like you live in awesome country! As others have hinted, .54 seems ambitious for what you're planning on using it for! But hey, this is America and you get to hunt with whatever you please if it's legal. If your shot selection is strict and your aim is true, it might work out for you. My limited real world experience with a 54 rb is on 4 deer-sized animals, All were harvested, but not always as cleanly as I would've liked. Some of that was my fault (quartering shots, one lung hits) but I learned enough to know that the margins are thin with muzzle loading guns. If you do shoot something with it that might bite back, I'd treat it like an archery follow-up and give it an hour or more. Then go in to the alders after it with a heavy rifle, a friend with a heavy rifle, and maybe a tracking dog if allowed. Good luck to you fella'!

I know we are not supposed to talk about “Unmentionable” firearms… yet the one you used is extremely and highly regarded in my safe. One is from era of Dirty Harry and other is a old stainless version.

So glad to hear it worked so well for you… And “The Lord guided”. I agree -A True testimony to that combination. You have been there and done it. Hats off to ya Sr.

Still, I would likely prefer my Double 58 loaded up hot for a full on charging Fur monster.
I agree completely with a double gun and heavy slugs! I had dropped a Caribou across the river with my big game rifle and my hunting pard and I left our rifles in camp when we crossed by raft to dress it out only taking my belt gun. The bear smelt the blood and guts from down stream we where throwing in the remote river to get them out of the camp area. Big mistake leaving our rifles in camp that will not be repeated!
I guess he figured we were horning in on his meal and he was ready to contest the matter! Strange black bear behavior, they are usually quite timid but as the saying goes "don't ever count on it" !
I read the account one time of a big game guide up here hunting moose and while glassing for a bull he was able to witness a medium size brown and large black bear get into a brawl. Neither would yield and in the end the black bear killed the brown larger than it was........... wondered off a few yard, laid down and expired. The guide said they really tore each other to shreds but the black did indeed kill the brown before it died ! This would be very unusual but does happen on occasion when defending a kill or a sow with cubs that will fight to the death.

Last edited:
It’s been said before, yet worth repeating.

No replacement, for displacement.

Bigger chunk of lead is a good thing. Even if slower…. Like a freight train, it just keeps going.

I’d want full penetration from a big! Caliber from any angle… When a Mack truck covered in fur is on full charge at me!
B2EBEB5F-6A62-45C9-9A8A-5BC4DE6358AA.jpeg

.54 round ball-brown bear, don't get swallowed whole (shades of Quint in Jaws).
.54 round ball-brown bear, don't get swallowed whole (shades of Quint in Jaws).
Lol too funny. But on the flip side of that we can reference another classic movie, when Arnold says “if it bleeds…we can kill it….” !!
all joking aside, a .54 cal round ball wouldn’t be my first choice, given what’s out there and available, but within limits would still do the job. Bears tend to die quite well and are not nearly as bullet proof as they’re made out to be. As with any big game animal, shot placement is what it all hinges on

Um… Ya, I dont think I agree with all of your statement.

That thick muscle,solid Fat/fur and heavy bone can soak up multiple shots.

Seen deer run pretty far with a 12g slug thru the boiler maker…and that’s a small animal compared to a big ol bear

Back