• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler order

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike in FL

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Thanks to all the input here, I finally found the nerve to call in an order. I'm choosing Kibler to the exclusion of all other rifles, finished or kits. Jim's videos gave me the confidence I needed. So, I called. It was sort of a relief that they were closed today. I'm really scared of spending all that money on just me, because I'm certainly not anywhere close to wealthy.
One question I had for Jim maybe someone here can answer. The Colonial has the barrel length I want, but I'm wondering if caliber bears on the "across the flats" measurement. I mean would a .45 barrel have the same outside measurements as a .54? I'm all about long and skinny for the gun's overall appearance. I'd shun a 54 if it called for a fatter stock.
Anyway, the decision is made with by wife-of-53-year's blessing. Again, my thanks to all of you for all the help.

Your financial security is vastly more important than a black powder rifle.

Maybe them not picking up the phone is a blessing in disguise.

Just food for thought.

The bigger the caliber, the lighter the rifle. Same O/D.
I would be looking at a .54 in Woodsrunner and a .58 in the Colonial. If I'm not mistaken, there is more done to completion on the Woodsrunner due to the machine ans programs in which its being run on. If that makes a difference for you, contact them to verify that.

The bigger the caliber, the lighter the rifle. Same O/D.
I would be looking at a .54 in Woodsrunner and a .58 in the Colonial. If I'm not mistaken, there is more done to completion on the Woodsrunner due to the machine ans programs in which its being run on. If that makes a difference for you, contact them to verify that.
This is true.

I’d also like to note the Colonials are not much work if you want them simple. My first (no prior experience) took a week. My 2nd, just 3 days (although I spent plenty of time carving outside of that).

The Kibler if done well can be sold at no loss and perhaps a bit of profit should you decide you don’t deserve a fine rifle after a lifetime of work. For myself I studied the problem with an open mind and conferred with my wife about the financial situation. I bought and finished the Colonial in 54 and was pleased, then realized it wouldn’t fit my gun safes. Then sold it and got the Woods Runner in 54 and it suits me very well and the larger safe can hold it. Our 53 anniversary is still on! 🥳

I have a .54 colonial and am considering getting the woodsrunner in .54 for the less weight, I'm not very big and on the down side of 79!
I heard that. Old ain't fun unless we make it fun. I've slowed some but not enough to quit. My other flinter is the Lyman/Pedersoli GPR, one inch across the flats, 32 inch barrel and HEAVY, like a plains rifle was. I have a no-drill sling on it, which makes it easier to tote through the wildwood. Like you, I'm getting the .54, which is a caliber I've never owned or fired. The Colonial kit seems just like a Chambers I used to have with swamped barrel and a bit of cast off. The Chambers was way more expensive, but the for end was paper-thin and would warp outward away from the barrel at the muzzle end when exposed to rain. It went back when dry, but still was a defect I couldn't live with.

Latest posts

Back