• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New member, old english fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been reading and enjoying posts from this excellent muzzleloading forum.
Thought I would post pictures of my restoration fowler.
Stock is walnut
Octagon to round barrel is 48 inches
Inside muzzle measures 650 - 17 guage
Teardrop front sight
Percussion lock is replacement. the only Mark's I found were TF stamped inside.
20181214_103748.jpg
20181214_104027.jpg
20181214_103810.jpg
20181214_103916.jpg
20181214_103326.jpg

I believe the double stamped crown and crossed scepters are pre 1813 birmingham made.
I would appreciate any comments.
I also think this is a restock.

Last edited:
That's one long drink of water, nice piece. love the tasteful engraving on the brass.

That's one long drink of water, nice piece. love the tasteful engraving on the brass.
Thanks Rat, I hope to tighten up the stock to barrel fit, the bore is clean and the drum and nipple threads look good.
Can't decide if I want to shoot it.
Been dreaming about a spring gobbler!!

Hi,
I believe those are private Tower proof marks not Birmingham. The Tower allowed gunmakers to use their London proof house for a fee.

dave

I think it's too great looking of a gun to not shoot. I don't know of any surefire way of testing other than to strap it inside of a tire and fire off 10 or so loads with the charge you intend to use. I love seeing these old things brought back to life. Informal clay busting or hunting close in game is really fun!

I think it's too great looking of a gun to not shoot. I don't know of any surefire way of testing other than to strap it inside of a tire and fire off 10 or so loads with the charge you intend to use. I love seeing these old things brought back to life. Informal clay busting or hunting close in game is really fun!
Thanks newtire! I think I will try to proof it with some turkey loads. If I can get a turkey then the fowler goes above the mantle and the turkey fan goes on the wall.

Thanks newtire! I think I will try to proof it with some turkey loads. If I can get a turkey then the fowler goes above the mantle and the turkey fan goes on the wall.

Oh that is very nice my friend. Cherish it and if truely sound, shoot the old girl. Twas what she was built for and a returned weapon to shooting fit is the kindest thing for an old soldier.

Oh that is very nice my friend. Cherish it and if truely sound, shoot the old girl. Twas what she was built for and a returned weapon to shooting fit is the kindest thing for an old soldier.
Thanks Bigted!!
I just found another stamp on under side of the barrel. Looks like LT with a crown. Maybe it stands for london tower.
20190119_144357.jpg

Latest posts

Back