• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1850s english fowler?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
While at a gunshow last weekend, i ran across what i believed to be an 1850s 12ga percussion fowler. Half stocked with pewter nose cap, octagonal barrel at breech tapered to round about 12" farther along. 2 gold bands inlayed around the barrel just ahead of the octagonal section. Most of the ingraving on the lock was warn but i could make out "childs" and "london". Sock was slightly cracked behind the lock but finish looked decent given its age. Bore was clean and bright. Gun was in the black and free of rust. He was asking $350 and claimed to not know much about it. I passed, did I make the right choice or was it worthy of aquiring?

I know very little about english fowling pieces and have no idea what it might or might not have been worth but i cant help but wonder so I thought i would post here.

Chris

Crow-feather,
It already causes pain......I put it down because i really wasnt looking for a fowling gun, especially in 12ga. But now looking back it's architecture was absolutely gorgeous even if it did look well used.

Any idea what a ballpark value may have been for future reference in case I find another?

Chris

$50 wall hanger at best. "Not knowing much about it", is speech reserved for shysters and frauds to deny culpability. I actually have and use an antique SxS 13 gauge made in Birmingham, England in the 1850's by Robert Chaplain. The reputable dealer i bought it from let me examine it for a week and actually test fire it (remotely) with heavy loads. Paid $300 for it, in fine condition needing no repairs.

William Child , 280 The Strand London 1826-1850
Not has well known has the Childs of Birmingham who were patent gun makers and made three barrelled gun a sxs percussion shotgun with a rifle barrel on top instead of a rib .
Feltwad

Crow-feather,
It already causes pain......I put it down because i really wasnt looking for a fowling gun, especially in 12ga. But now looking back it's architecture was absolutely gorgeous even if it did look well used.

Any idea what a ballpark value may have been for future reference in case I find another?

Chris
All; I can say is that I avoid that which I can't afford. I curse myself for not listening to my mother and becoming a lawyer..

Back