• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

muzzleloading machinists of old

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking at some of the old records of Missouri gunsmiths in "Missouri Gunsmiths to 1900" book - census records, estates, etc. it appears that many made use of various parts made by someone else. Sand-casting a trigger guard, for example, could be done by one or two people. Freshing out or rifling a barrel - one man job. Forging a damascus-type barrel using strips of iron around a rod or creating a lock from scratch? - that'd be really hard.

Looking at originals from the 19th century, made before electric motors, etc., has always fascinated me. Not hard to understand why firearms were treasured, handed down for generations.

Looking at some of the old records of Missouri gunsmiths in "Missouri Gunsmiths to 1900" book - census records, estates, etc. it appears that many made use of various parts made by someone else. Sand-casting a trigger guard, for example, could be done by one or two people. Freshing out or rifling a barrel - one man job. Forging a damascus-type barrel using strips of iron around a rod or creating a lock from scratch? - that'd be really hard.

Looking at originals from the 19th century, made before electric motors, etc., has always fascinated me. Not hard to understand why firearms were treasured, handed down for generations.
That's why a rifle could cost a years wages as well

I cannot really name off any old time machinist that are famous. However, there was a local fellow, up at Mattoon lake, who made a few really nice flintlock muzzleloading rifles, William "Bill" Gentry. He made a router bit to fit in his Bridgeport milling machine to inlet barrels, he used his Southbend 13 inch lathe to install breech plugs and he had an uncanny eye for quality. A top notch quality machinist, he fixed several unmentionable revolver cylinders with too small of a forcing cone.

I met Bill at a gunshow when I was a teenager, he had several tables set up. Later found out while we were driving to New Jersey to pick up a South Bend Heavy 10 lathe, that he was 26 years older than me, not sure if that makes him "of old", but he was certainly someone full of old time knowledge and skills. Unfortunately, cancer took him too soon, R.I.P. Bill.

Last edited:
There's a lot more interesting muzzle loading history from 1700 to 1870 than comes up between1970>1980 and it's not going to be forgotten as it's mostly catalogued from that
time and all worth reading. Your local library will likley have a copy of THE MANTONS.

A9D8AEA7-7883-459C-A0FA-01724FE94730.jpeg

A8919D0F-381B-4C79-925C-BE533BBA66F5.jpeg

118BA407-08A9-4DF3-A0EB-A786A6C8C776.jpeg

Latest posts

Back