• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

No muzzleloading pepperbox reproductions?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 56333

40 Cal
Reaction score
For a weapon that was produced by the thousands and saw a respectable degree of popularity back in the 1830s-60s, I've seen no modern reproductions of muzzleloading pepperbox pistols on the market. Does nobody make them? Is our vision of handguns in the 19th century so clouded by the revolver that there's no interest today in its low-budget cousin? :(

Or is it because Mark Twain's limited experience with one of these guns has cemented an image of them in our minds as worthless junk? I certainly come across many people today spouting the "dangerous chainfire" myth about pepperboxes, when in reality not only were they far safer (for the user) in the event of a chainfire than a revolver was, but many were also built with special shields around the cap nipples precisely to prevent chainfires.

Having seen an original antique fired out on the range, I'd love the chance to own and shoot a reproduction.

Classic Arms Company once made a kit Pepperbox gun. Deer Creek Products still has some parts listed.

Hoppe’s made one several years ago. It was actually pleasant to put together and work on. Classic Arms marketed one also. That one in my experience was over hyped by the company. What was supposed to have been a relatively short delivery time, after payment of course, turned into something like a year and a half if not longer to receive the kit. For me, the kit and finished product was thoroughly disappointing especially after the long wait and all of the correspondence from the company about the delays and popularity of the item. I had gotten in on the ground floor for that pepper box. It made a good fishing weight. Later in it’s life, it came back to us as a bumper on a Yugo. 😂

I can think of a few reasons I wouldn’t want one,
1. weight, a 6” barreled revolver of the same calibre is lighter.
2. sights.
3. double action only?
4. reloading, no loading lever.
The only replicas that I have seen were crudely made. Making noise is fun but not hitting anything makes firecrackers a better entertainment.

Gold Rush imported one in .22 caliber. A plated cast frame with cast in engraving. An engraved cylindrical 6 shot barrel cluster. It is actually quite attractive and reasonably authentic. I shot .22 airgun pellets in it, a lot of fun and cheap to shoot. Bar hammer, double action only. I could fill a barrel to the end with just enough room to load a pellet, really loud. I bought it at a gun show in the early 90s for $50 NIB as I remember.

I got one of the Classic Arms pepperboxes in the late 70s, mildly used for $35. I've never shot it though it functions fine. It isn't even close to an actual pepperbox.

I just didn't have the disposable $$ when the Hoppes were available but they were probably the most authentic ones ever made as a repro.

Classic Arms Company once made a kit Pepperbox gun. Deer Creek Products still has some parts listed.
Classic Arms "pepper box" wasn't a reproduction of anything. I inherited one. It never worked properly. Finally got $70 bucks out of it on a trade and glad to see it go.

Never seen one. Although if it wasn't an actual reproduction of something historical I'd probably not be interested.

Hoppe’s made one several years ago.

Likewise haven't heard of it, will have to take a look...

Cabelas sells a Pietta 1851 Navy Yank .36 pepperbox.

I know those ones, but that's based on a cut-down revolver, not the original muzzleloading pepperboxes of the mid-1800s.

I can think of a few reasons I wouldn’t want one,
1. weight, a 6” barreled revolver of the same calibre is lighter.
2. sights.
3. double action only?
4. reloading, no loading lever.
The only replicas that I have seen were crudely made. Making noise is fun but not hitting anything makes firecrackers a better entertainment.

It's straightforward enough to reload the thing, all the barrels are constantly clear so you don't need to rotate a cylinder for each load like you would on a revolver, just pour powder down all six barrels, add ball to each barrel, and ram home. These are smoothbore guns so ramming the ball doesn't take a great deal of effort. If the gun has a nipple shield then you will need to rotate the barrels to cap each one, but if it doesn't then all the nipples are exposed at the same time so you can just cap away at your leisure.

The barrel cluster on many originals (at least those made by Ethan Allen) is retained by one big central screw which is easy to take out (much simpler than taking the cylinder out of a Colt Army), meaning you can also reload and cap it separately and then re-assemble the gun when you're ready to fire. It also makes dissassembly for cleaning a lot easier than most cap-and-ball revolvers. I guess in theory this also means that if you had multiple barrel clusters that fit the same pepperbox you could just have a few pre-loaded ones ready to go and swap them out as needed, although I don't believe such a thing was ever done back in the day.

These aren't guns that were ever intended for long-range shooting, whether back then or now. However they're plenty of fun within about 15 yards. The double-action design makes for fast follow-up shots if you're shooting on the clock, and the weight on the .32 cal certainly isn't anything unmanageable. The lack of proper sights just makes it a more interesting challenge to hit your mark.

I guess it depends what you consider to be "fun".

Gold Rush imported one in .22 caliber. A plated cast frame with cast in engraving. An engraved cylindrical 6 shot barrel cluster. It is actually quite attractive and reasonably authentic. I shot .22 airgun pellets in it, a lot of fun and cheap to shoot. Bar hammer, double action only. I could fill a barrel to the end with just enough room to load a pellet, really loud. I bought it at a gun show in the early 90s for $50 NIB as I remember.

I got one of the Classic Arms pepperboxes in the late 70s, mildly used for $35. I've never shot it though it functions fine. It isn't even close to an actual pepperbox.

I just didn't have the disposable $$ when the Hoppes were available but they were probably the most authentic ones ever made as a repro.

Why has all this stuff flown under my radar? Were these all produced 30+ years ago or in a limited run?

Last edited:

I remember the .22 pepperbox guns but have never seen one for real. Just pics.

EMF Pietta makes one in .36 smooth bore
1676042764713.png

Put this together from a kit. It's definitely a bad breath distance shooter.

Interesting, to me it has characteristics that look British (notably the flare of the nipple shield). The hammer looks a lot squarer though than anything I've seen on period pieces. Where did you pick up the kit?

K Mart sold these in the 1970s iirc. My dad purchased it but never assembled. The cylinder turns manually. It was inexpensive.

Steamboat Arabia museum in Kansas City had several "Ethan Allen" type cast frame pistols found when they unearthed the sunken boat and I think at least one pepper box. Boat went down in 1854 if my memory serves me right. Among the goods headed upriver at the time. Quite an assortment of cast-frame pistols, rifles, and shotguns evolved in the same era. Fun stuff.

Latest posts

Back