• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Why I would recommend someone not get into muzzleloading

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iver Davidson

32 Cal
Reaction score
I bought a cap and ball revolver two months ago and have fired it a total of seven times. As in seven shots. The problem: No available percussion caps. None to be found. Anywhere. Admittedly, there are those online sites where you supposedly can get them with a minimum order of $150 or $200. I have tried making my own caps, watching videos and working tirelessly. The result is hit and miss. Mostly miss. Even those well-meaning video hosts who work out different approaches to DIY caps seem to have limited success and also seem to have a stock of the real stuff to use when they need it. I have not actually seen a commercially produced cap in person--just in the online ads. Sites and stores selling percussion arms should have a sign saying: Don't plan on shooting this weapon. This is not the time to get into muzzleloading. Those already enjoying the sport apparently have a supply of percussion caps available. Those just getting started? Good luck. Hang the gun on the wall. Just don't plan on shooting it.

Debby Downer !
Percussion caps can be found, I live in a rural area of Southern Vermont and was able to pick up two tins last week from a local gun shop. He only had 5 tins available, and I wanted to save a few for others. According to CCI, who makes percussion caps, they are a seasonal item, they will start producing them again in June or July.
Or you can get yourself a flintlock and find no need for caps.

Was at a rendezvous around first of May. I don’t normally shoot at events, as I’m too busy sitting around doing nothing or buying stuff I don’t need. However I wondered down and made some smoke. I bet 70% were shooting rock in the locks, and flint was available on site
Flint does represent a learning curve, so I well understand the OP

Here in UK I have 1000 #11 Remingtons looking at me on the shelf above my stock of 2500 large rifle primers. Another five tins of #11s in my pistol shooting box as well. Got three tins of musket caps, too.

See, when the things you really need are made in another country, that the inhabitants of that country rightly get first chance at time, then you buy up all you can find as soon as you can.

I wish you all luck in your searching.

What kind did you buy? I find caps in a lot of stores. Not necessarily the price I want to pay, but avaliable. I’m actually looking for a new revolver, so if it’s something I’m looking for and you want to sell it, I’ll consider. Not trying to get you to sell. I’d hang onto it. I love mine and still have access to caps

I bought a cap and ball revolver two months ago and have fired it a total of seven times. As in seven shots. The problem: No available percussion caps. None to be found. Anywhere. Admittedly, there are those online sites where you supposedly can get them with a minimum order of $150 or $200. I have tried making my own caps, watching videos and working tirelessly. The result is hit and miss. Mostly miss. Even those well-meaning video hosts who work out different approaches to DIY caps seem to have limited success and also seem to have a stock of the real stuff to use when they need it. I have not actually seen a commercially produced cap in person--just in the online ads. Sites and stores selling percussion arms should have a sign saying: Don't plan on shooting this weapon. This is not the time to get into muzzleloading. Those already enjoying the sport apparently have a supply of percussion caps available. Those just getting started? Good luck. Hang the gun on the wall. Just don't plan on shooting it.
I found a bunch at Scheels in missoula ,Mt.
The prime all caps were 100% 24\24 fired first trigger pull.
Left out the tan bag and used duco cement in acetone at 10:1.
No issues with the primer charge falling out and I beat the container around for a few hours prior to shooting them.........smell like kids red cap strips.

thumbnail (4)a.jpg

I found a bunch at Scheels in missoula ,Mt.
The prime all caps were 100% 24\24 fired first trigger pull.
Left out the tan bag and used duco cement in acetone at 10:1.
No issues with the primer charge falling out and I beat the container around for a few hours prior to shooting them.........smell like kids red cap strips.
I've seen them available at Scheels, but that's a 500 mile drive for me.

Thanks for the tip on the primer. I'll try it.

Was at a rendezvous around first of May. I don’t normally shoot at events, as I’m too busy sitting around doing nothing or buying stuff I don’t need. However I wondered down and made some smoke. I bet 70% were shooting rock in the locks, and flint was available on site
Flint does represent a learning curve, so I well understand the OP
I do want to try flintlocks at some point, though I'm a bit worried some key ingredient might be hard to find. I've gotten cynical, I'm afraid.

Those unsympathetic to my post no doubt have a nice stockpile of caps.

You have to want to get into muzzleloading. If you want to shoot a lot of bullets and don't like prepping, cleaning or working on the guns it is not for you. If you really want to shoot you will find some caps somewhere and when you have the chance, assemble a reasonable stock. I know it can be frustrating to not be able to just go out to a local store and get what you need for a weekend shoot so we have to adapt, improvise, or give up.

You have to want to get into muzzleloading. If you want to shoot a lot of bullets and don't like prepping, cleaning or working on the guns it is not for you. If you really want to shoot you will find some caps somewhere and when you have the chance, assemble a reasonable stock. I know it can be frustrating to not be able to just go out to a local store and get what you need for a weekend shoot so we have to adapt, improvise, or give up.
I understand what you're saying and don't want to be seen as defeatist, but I have worked hard at learning all about my gun and its upkeep, watching hundreds of videos, buying all of the other supplies needed, trying to make caps that stay together long enough for me to get to the range. It's basic frustration I'm feeling because the simple experience of shooting the gun is what I'm lacking. I will continue trying, but my point was that this is a trying time get into cap and ball for the first time.

I do want to try flintlocks at some point, though I'm a bit worried some key ingredient might be hard to find. I've gotten cynical, I'm afraid.
Sorry you are having such a rough time getting caps. If you were interested enough to purchase a BP gun, I hope you hang in there and find some caps. Now, for a flintlock the only other item you will need are flints and they are easy to get.
Good luck
Larry

Latest posts

Back