• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why I would recommend someone not get into muzzleloading

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered 1000 #11CCI caps last night from what I hope is a reputable dealer, not having ordered through them before I'm just a tad nervous. But before I ordered I did my due diligence, as much as is possible, searching the web for signs of life and not a scam. They do have youtube videos advertising some of their wares and a good BBB rating. I have always searched the dealers I know and if none of them have caps I don't bother with anyone else. But I guess old age has made me more adventurous than I should be, maybe.

I still make my own caps and all I can say is, as with anything else, to do so is a learning curve . No such thing as once and done. Getting the caps to work more often each time out, now that's exciting. Ordered the new kit with the liquid hardener and a funnel included, though the funnel could use some polishing to make the powder flow better. Still have a lot of the old formula to use up.

Just got 2,000 CCI #11's for under $6 a tin. There are caps available, as I found several outlets that had caps in stock. A fella better move fast though and not dawdle, and buy as many as you can reasonably afford.
Now that’s a freaking deal six bucks a tin!!👍
The best I have found was $9.99 a tin at Academy when they had them earlier this year.

No it’s not when prices are astronomical high and abusive. Sure the cost of items have increased over the years but lately it’s abusive. No need to be selling a cap tin For $45 or $80 for one pound of Pyro. Fools are the ones that do pay.
Yeah, it is. Even when you don't like it. It also discourages hoarding when supply is low.

I disagree with your opinion. It won’t change what we both think it’s correct so leave it at that.
You ever be amid a disaster and can't get water and gas because people are hoarding? I have. In CENTRAL FLORIDA, 2004.

I ordered 1000 #11CCI caps last night from what I hope is a reputable dealer, not having ordered through them before I'm just a tad nervous. But before I ordered I did my due diligence, as much as is possible, searching the web for signs of life and not a scam. They do have youtube videos advertising some of their wares and a good BBB rating. I have always searched the dealers I know and if none of them have caps I don't bother with anyone else. But I guess old age has made me more adventurous than I should be, maybe.

I still make my own caps and all I can say is, as with anything else, to do so is a learning curve . No such thing as once and done. Getting the caps to work more often each time out, now that's exciting. Ordered the new kit with the liquid hardener and a funnel included, though the funnel could use some polishing to make the powder flow better. Still have a lot of the old formula to use up.
Excellent article in this month’s Muzzle Blast the magazine of the NMLRA. (You are a member and get it, right?, right!?) about making caps. Author had everyone fire out of his first batch of 50.

That's a perfect score! Hundred percent worked! Must've put lots of care into the making.
Good article, cant repost here, wish i could, he used a tool to make caps and something called Prime-All, a 4 pouch mixture.
Said it took an hour to make first batch of 50. Probably take 1/2 the time second time around.
If anyone interested I will gladly post the important points from article here in next couple days. This seemed to do well.
Used soda cans. Used acetone to remove sugar coating from inside of cans for better primer adhesion. Some sanding to rough surface. Things i recall from reading on the throne this morning.

A few key strokes and I found several sites that have caps for sale, anywhere from $10 to $12 per 100.
Just be careful who you order from.
I purchased 1000 #10 caps online not too long ago.

Be patient and persistent. Caps are available. Check gun shops and hardware stores.
The Remington 10's have been dry for awhile. Muzzle loading is a great pursuit, and
like anything these days there are shortages. For years now the members here have
recommended stocking up on related materials--caps and powder. In life it is often
true that what is good, can be hard to get.

A few key strokes and I found several sites that have caps for sale, anywhere from $10 to $12 per 100.
Just be careful who you order from.
I purchased 1000 #10 caps online not too long ago.
Agree. Google is your friend. Check the reviews and BBB reports, too many scam artists out there.

Powder valley had the 250 count package of RWS caps for $36.

They had two of them and one was a dollar more but I think those were the magnums?

I seen one of them was out of stock the other day so I said what the hell I'll get some and another pound of powder.

Glad I did because it wasn't the next day or two that it said out of stock on all of them.

I would not judge by current, temporary circumstances. Because it is all just temporary. I remember when Sandy Hook happened and Obama threatened new gun bans. Ammo became scarce and I had very little .22LR on hand. I went from shooting 2000-3000rds a month to nothing and it lasted a few years. Now I have well over 60,000rds accumulated and shoot whenever I want again. Get the gun you want, a tin of caps and a pound of powder. Do what you can, when you can.

It's supply and demand, basic economics.
basic economics?? years ago goldman +sachs bought up most of the aluminum stored it in warehouses supply went down prices went up then they started selling it for 500% more. oil tankers waiting in the harbor for weeks so the price of oil would go up. most shortages are man made by greedy demons and guys that run to the stores to buy any stock buy it all keeps prices high. if the components are left on the shelves for months then prices come down. lack of shooting supplies and high prices all man made

basic economics?? years ago goldman +sachs bought up most of the aluminum stored it in warehouses supply went down prices went up then they started selling it for 500% more. oil tankers waiting in the harbor for weeks so the price of oil would go up. most shortages are man made by greedy demons and guys that run to the stores to buy any stock buy it all keeps prices high. if the components are left on the shelves for months then prices come down. lack of shooting supplies and high prices all man made
Did you watch the video? Yes. Supply and demand still applies. Did I say it wasn't man made? In this case, it's your fellow shooters who caused the shortage. The folks who panicked and started buying up all the supply. Just like 2004 when all those hurricanes hit. We had a gasoline shortage. Why? The supply chain was unaffected. It was all the idiots who went out and filled every container they had with gas. Then they sat at home. Or they drove around gawking at the damage, contributing to the problem in other ways. Those of us who were tasked to restoring lost services suffered. We had to double up in vehicles because we couldn't get the fuel to run them all. Because of the stupid "price gouging" laws, retailers were prohibited from raising prices. So there was nothing to discourage even more hoarding. Instead of everyone being able to buy what they needed, morons hoarded it all. Same applies to other supplies like batteries and water.

What about the folks in unaffected areas who bought up all the local generators and hauled them to the areas affected by Katrina? They were supplying a much, much needed resource. Stupid reactions by stupid people had them in jail for "price gouging". No one got what they needed. All initiated by people who "feel" when they should be thinking, It's pure insanity but the herd goes along with it.

Did you watch the video? Yes. Supply and demand still applies. Did I say it wasn't man made? In this case, it's your fellow shooters who caused the shortage. The folks who panicked and started buying up all the supply. Just like 2004 when all those hurricanes hit. We had a gasoline shortage. Why? The supply chain was unaffected. It was all the idiots who went out and filled every container they had with gas. Then they sat at home. Or they drove around gawking at the damage, contributing to the problem in other ways. Those of us who were tasked to restoring lost services suffered. We had to double up in vehicles because we couldn't get the fuel to run them all. Because of the stupid "price gouging" laws, retailers were prohibited from raising prices. So there was nothing to discourage even more hoarding. Instead of everyone being able to buy what they needed, morons hoarded it all. Same applies to other supplies like batteries and water.

What about the folks in unaffected areas who bought up all the local generators and hauled them to the areas affected by Katrina? They were supplying a much, much needed resource. Stupid reactions by stupid people had them in jail for "price gouging". No one got what they needed. All initiated by people who "feel" when they should be thinking, It's pure insanity but the herd goes along with it.
you are right. good post

Latest posts

Back