• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why I would recommend someone not get into muzzleloading

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a cap and ball revolver two months ago and have fired it a total of seven times. As in seven shots. The problem: No available percussion caps. None to be found. Anywhere. Admittedly, there are those online sites where you supposedly can get them with a minimum order of $150 or $200. I have tried making my own caps, watching videos and working tirelessly. The result is hit and miss. Mostly miss. Even those well-meaning video hosts who work out different approaches to DIY caps seem to have limited success and also seem to have a stock of the real stuff to use when they need it. I have not actually seen a commercially produced cap in person--just in the online ads. Sites and stores selling percussion arms should have a sign saying: Don't plan on shooting this weapon. This is not the time to get into muzzleloading. Those already enjoying the sport apparently have a supply of percussion caps available. Those just getting started? Good luck. Hang the gun on the wall. Just don't plan on shooting it.
I understand your frustration, but your response to the situation seems very negative. It is probably worth bearing in mind why it is that things are in short supply, and that while we are putting up with a minor inconvenience, people in Ukraine are fighting for their lives and liberties. The shortage doesn't just apply to caps, but for the same reason it applies to full-bore primers too, as ammunition manufacturers are going flat-out to supply a country at war. This is not a uniquely muzzle-loading problem.

That said, some suppliers here in the UK are now offering supplies of no.11 caps, coming from the USA, I believe, so they can be obtained if you look around. Doubtless they will cost more, though. It is no good being bitter towards those who came to the sport before you did. We are all in the same situation.

haha it is bad, but not that bad. It is 250 RWS caps for £35 from Germany.
It makes a change for you in the US to be envying us Brits. We normally look to you for that.

Sometimes you just have to watch the market and buy when available. Bought cartridge primers before price went up and still have some left. Bought # 11’s at $5 per 100 ,later more at $10.
Where I didn’t prepare was buying an Enfield and only one tin of musket caps. I have fixed that problem but paid going rate.

Patience lad, patience. Caps will surface again and when they do grab several tins. This too will pass. A gunshop here has them for $16 a tin but I will wait for the reported CCI cap release in late summer/fall.

Was just at a large regional gun show today; the piles, literally tons, endless aisles, of modern unmentionable ammo was mind boggling. Where was it all just two years ago? If you're into muzzleloading, slowly build up a large supply of caps & powder so that the next time there's a Hillary Panic or a Biden/Covid Panic, you've got enough to get thru about 3 years of BP shooting. No need to 'hoard' all at once, merely buy some every time you happen to think about it, and you'll have a nice supply. All of the modern ammo dealers SAT ON IT locked up awaiting the sky-high increase in price. No one will admit it openly.

This is why you tie 6 flintlock pistols to your sash pirate style. A lot easier than looking on the web for caps.

I was having the same problem online. Took my new twin snubbies over to show my buddy. He laid a hunnerd new #10 Remington on me. They're 40 years old. They've been stored carefully since the last time we shot his 1858, 1849, and homemade .72 cal Derringer.

I bought a cap and ball revolver two months ago and have fired it a total of seven times. As in seven shots. The problem: No available percussion caps. None to be found. Anywhere. Admittedly, there are those online sites where you supposedly can get them with a minimum order of $150 or $200. I have tried making my own caps, watching videos and working tirelessly. The result is hit and miss. Mostly miss. Even those well-meaning video hosts who work out different approaches to DIY caps seem to have limited success and also seem to have a stock of the real stuff to use when they need it. I have not actually seen a commercially produced cap in person--just in the online ads. Sites and stores selling percussion arms should have a sign saying: Don't plan on shooting this weapon. This is not the time to get into muzzleloading. Those already enjoying the sport apparently have a supply of percussion caps available. Those just getting started? Good luck. Hang the gun on the wall. Just don't plan on shooting it.
I went into Dunham's Sporting Goods yesterday, and they had at least 2 dozen CCI #11's on the shelf. $14.95 per 100 pack. Plus, musket caps. Then I went to my local Gunshop, L.B. Toney's Alamo Gunshop, to buy a pound of black powder. Swiss FFG, $38.00 per pound. He had 2 full cases of each, CCI #10's and #11's and a case of musket caps. All $18.95 a pack. Keep searching, and you will find. Unless you live in a big, Leftist, Democrap city. I reckon your screwed. Semper Fi.

I sympathize with the OP. This lack of supplies in the land of plenty makes no sense.
However, i will continue to collect the pieces and try to buy caps whenever available. Im like a pitbull. Stubborn and hard to change my focus once im fixated on something.
On a good note, i have been more motivated to get my carry permit in order to buy a few pocket tools and be able to travel to ranges.
With more connections there will be more opportunities to shoot.

That being said, please, any CT fellow veterans or shootists let me know of events in CT.

I'm amazed that so many Americans are ripping the a*s* out of so many fellow Americans. Just goes to show how much 'brotherly love' really exists between shooters. I've given away three or four tins of #11s to fellow shooters here in our UK club, with the promise that they'll eventually replace them. How can you not help each other when the dwang is equally deep for ALL of us?

Caps are available....
Walmarts has caps......

7 tins on the shelf here & other stores has them too....

356181759_226057280339781_2595806366501652502_n.jpg

Dunhams has more caps on their shelf...I've checked weekly, they have been on their shelf for over a month now.....none sold yet.

356208273_657899259176139_7911906202058622410_n.jpg
Screen Shot 2023-07-04 at 9.04.56 AM.png

You can always order caps too.....

Last edited:
I'm amazed that so many Americans are ripping the a*s* out of so many fellow Americans. Just goes to show how much 'brotherly love' really exists between shooters. I've given away three or four tins of #11s to fellow shooters here in our UK club, with the promise that they'll eventually replace them. How can you not help each other when the dwang is equally deep for ALL of us?
It’s called GREED and it sucks big time. They jack up pricing to secure further profits specially the a$$ wipes on Gunbroker selling a cap tin for $45 or $80 for a pound of Pyrodex. 😂Just hope no fool out there is gullible enough to pay those outrageous amounts.

I would not judge by current, temporary circumstances. Because it is all just temporary. I remember when Sandy Hook happened and Obama threatened new gun bans. Ammo became scarce and I had very little .22LR on hand. I went from shooting 2000-3000rds a month to nothing and it lasted a few years. Now I have well over 60,000rds accumulated and shoot whenever I want again. Get the gun you want, a tin of caps and a pound of powder. Do what you can, when you can.

It’s called GREED and it sucks big time. They jack up pricing to secure further profits specially the a$$ wipes on Gunbroker selling a cap tin for $45 or $80 for a pound of Pyrodex. 😂Just hope no fool out there is gullible enough to pay those outrageous amounts.
It's supply and demand, basic economics.

America is like a disfunctional family. We hate each other. North South. East West. Whites Blacks. Mountain Flatlands. Dems Repubs. And thats just for starters. We dont even like people in different neighborhoods in same city.
But Fark with one of our family members, we will come together and destroy that outsider.
Thats what outsiders don’t understand.

Getting caps-
I have posted in many forums. Will do here.
Join a ML club. Local/National. Im a member of NMLRA. National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association.
At meets, members are competion shooting matches for days at a time blowing thru hundreds of caps and i dont see anyone running out or begging caps.
Many members are store owners and cater to club members first. I have no trouble getting caps. None.
It’s not what you know, It’s who you know!
Network folks.
Edit: forget NRA, they are not cap & ball centric and too big. I mean local clubs that are affiliated with a national organization. There’s a lot.

Last edited:
I would not judge by current, temporary circumstances. Because it is all just temporary. I remember when Sandy Hook happened and Obama threatened new gun bans. Ammo became scarce and I had very little .22LR on hand. I went from shooting 2000-3000rds a month to nothing and it lasted a few years. Now I have well over 60,000rds accumulated and shoot whenever I want again. Get the gun you want, a tin of caps and a pound of powder. Do what you can, when you can.

It's supply and demand, basic economics.
No it’s not when prices are astronomical high and abusive. Sure the cost of items have increased over the years but lately it’s abusive. No need to be selling a cap tin For $45 or $80 for one pound of Pyro. Fools are the ones that do pay.

Hogden sells T7 straight from manufacturer for $38. Equivalent to 10 gals of gas and last a lot longer. The new normal.
Do you walk everywhere or take a bus? No, you pay at the pump and move down the road.
Same with caps, powder. Pay to play. Ya it sucks however, the people you call fools are out shooting while you look at your doorstops and dream of days long gone.
The new normal.

Attachments

• IMG_2224.png
    IMG_2224.png
    706.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back