• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gemmer Hawken advice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all, I do not own any muzzleloading long guns, but I want to build one. I’ve taken a liken to the Investarms Gemmer Hawken kit. I haven’t seen it up close, but from what I have read on here and what I’ve seen online it looks like a decent kit. Plus I shoot long guns left handed so they do offer lefty kits. It’s approaching the upper limit to what I want spend also. I recently built a Traditions Trapper percussion pistol from a kit and it came out very nice. The question I have is to go with a flintlock or percussion. I love the idea of the flint, and love the look of the flintlock,the only drawback to me is black powder only. I’ve made my own black powder in small batches with a ball mill and it worked fine in my Remington old army, but I also use substitutes quite a bit with that revolver. I also make my own percussion caps with good success so common sense is stick with a caplock. But there is just something about those flintlocks! They look so much better or “right” to my eyes. I probably won’t be hunting just mostly target shooting as this point. This is also something to keep me busy during my new retirement. At least when I finish the honeydew list! Anyway just looking for some opinions from folks who have real world experience with muzzleloaders. I’m in SW Florida by the way if anyone else on here is in this area. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
The investarm Gemmer Hawken is the same gun as the Lyman Great Plains. Same gun. Same maker. You’ll find many reviews and posts on this site by using the search feature and typing in Lyman Great Plains. I’ve owned several percussion Great Plains rifles. Great guns in my opinion. With a little work on cosmetics they are very nice reproductions.

Considering that by the time John Gemmer began putting his stamp on the rifles after he bought the rights to the Hawken shop, the Hawken (Gemmer) Shop was certainly no longer building flint lock rifles, a flint lock half stock Gemmer Rifle is not at all right to me. Now @1stnamebassist finds them looking better and "right", not to mention that the lock is on the side of the stock he prefers. As @TreeMan observes, the rifles from InvestArms are generally considered to be a great gun. It should be capable of being made into a very nice rifle even if it is (to me) something of a fantasy piece.

Ok, so thanks for the info everyone. I don’t know much about the history of flintlock and percussion so thanks for that. I did order a lefty caplock kit last night. I looked a few hours earlier and they didn’t have it in stock. I went back to order the flintlock kit a few hours later and it showed the caplock available again! So I ordered it! Hopefully it’s really in stock. If not I guess I’ll get the flintlock for now. Does anybody make aftermarket locks and barrels that would be the same fit as the investarms? I was thinking it would be kinda nice to have both a percussion and flint, and maybe a different caliber, like a 54. I ordered a 50 on this kit. Or does investarms sell their locks and barrels also?

I own the left handed Gemmer Hawken percussion rifle and really like it. It's a nice kit and the wood was quite nice. I actually shot mine 2 days ago. At some point I may hunt with this rifle. I don't believe you'll be disappointed. It was shooting quite well at 100 yards.

Thanks! Nice find! Now maybe at some point I can find a lefty barrel that will drop in! Of course it may not be cost effective to do what I’m thinking. It may, it the long run be better to build another kit! My kit has been shipped by the way, and it should be here next Tuesday!

You've made a good choice in ML's. That is a rifle that will be a keeper to be handed down. As far as flint or cap i'm going to say the opinions will run 50/50 or thereabouts as they should. My choice has been caps over flints for hunting as I have had the "klatch' with a good deer in sights with flint but never with cap. good luck deciding and there is always room in the gun cabinet for "just one more" .

Thank you. I can’t wait to get the kit. It will probably be a long build, I’m not in a hurry. It will give me a fun project to work on over time now that I’m retired. I have quite a few “ just one mores”, and even though they are not black powder, I still enjoy them. I enjoy shooting slingshots and blowguns too!

I finished up my kit about a week ago. I’m happy with the results, but still haven’t shot it yet! I must say the stock was a mess when I received it! The motrices were both different shaped and didn’t line up by a long shot! The cheek piece was huge! It came all the way down to the bottom of the stock! The escutcheons were Inlet on the stock over 3/16”too deep on both sides. It was a learning experience for sure!

Attachments

• IMG_0424.jpeg
    IMG_0424.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0428.jpeg
    IMG_0428.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0426.jpeg
    IMG_0426.jpeg
    6.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0430.jpeg
    IMG_0430.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 71008531115__CA34BBC3-49C2-48F7-A77A-61425397B8F1.jpeg
    71008531115__CA34BBC3-49C2-48F7-A77A-61425397B8F1.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0427.jpeg
    IMG_0427.jpeg
    6.7 MB · Views: 0
a flint lock half stock Gemmer Rifle is not at all right to me
Glad you added the "to me" on that comment. This is a do yer own thang game. I once had a Hawken flint built and wasn't tarred and feathered for carrying it into camp. This is a matter of choice. If ones 'choice' is to be perfectly perzactly exactly 'authentic' then that is fine and the choice then would not be what the OP is considering.

Thank You! Much appreciated! Really a nice kit, but more work than I expected, but I’m glad it kept me busy!
I've made two GPRs over the years, one recently, and they are nice. You are right, there's a ton of wood to remove/readjust. They end up well if you take your time and look at some original Hawkens/Gemmers on the net [or in person if you can] Dale

Hey all, I do not own any muzzleloading long guns, but I want to build one. I’ve taken a liken to the Investarms Gemmer Hawken kit. I haven’t seen it up close, but from what I have read on here and what I’ve seen online it looks like a decent kit. Plus I shoot long guns left handed so they do offer lefty kits. It’s approaching the upper limit to what I want spend also. I recently built a Traditions Trapper percussion pistol from a kit and it came out very nice. The question I have is to go with a flintlock or percussion. I love the idea of the flint, and love the look of the flintlock,the only drawback to me is black powder only. I’ve made my own black powder in small batches with a ball mill and it worked fine in my Remington old army, but I also use substitutes quite a bit with that revolver. I also make my own percussion caps with good success so common sense is stick with a caplock. But there is just something about those flintlocks! They look so much better or “right” to my eyes. I probably won’t be hunting just mostly target shooting as this point. This is also something to keep me busy during my new retirement. At least when I finish the honeydew list! Anyway just looking for some opinions from folks who have real world experience with muzzleloaders. I’m in SW Florida by the way if anyone else on here is in this area. Thanks in advance!
Greetings..

I just noticed your post, and thought that I would respond. It seems that alot of people are getting into Hawken rifles. I used to not be such a fan of half stocks, but for whatever reason have taken a liking to these rifles.

I have built two previous long rifles, both Kentucky in flintlock and percussion.. I just now completed a Hawken Gemmer kit by Investarm. To my understanding these are Plaines Rifle kits formerly offered by Lyman.

I went shopping at muzzle-loaders.com, and purchased the Hawken Gemmer in flintlock. You are right, flintlocks do look right. I am planning on purchasing another gemmer in percussion and then a Kibler Colonial.

Moving on, I was running a thread on here during the build, and would be more than glad to offer any assistance. The kit is nice, the parts are of good quality. All metal parts are steel, and will require some clean-up. I like the idea of steel, it provides more options, as to blue or brown. I blued my furniture, and the barrel. I used Birchwood Casey perma blue on the furniture and Birchwood Casey's, super blue on the barrel. The lock is handsome, I was thinking of switching out to an L&R lock available at TOW, as I did with my Kentucky, but it looks great, is heavy and does the job just fine.

When I initially set out to build the kit, I was going to do my best at recreating a Hawken rifle. There are some challenges which come with such an order, but you can get close with the kit. YouTube has several videos of this being done.

Mine is getting a few more coats of Tru-Oil today, and I will then reassemble and call it good.

You will not be disappointed, just be warned that there is much material which must be removed from the stock.

Again, any questions that you may have, please feel free to ask.

Best

Ryan
20230708_063828.jpg
20230708_063929.jpg
20230708_064344.jpg
20230708_064428.jpg
20230708_064638.jpg
20230708_065430.jpg
20230708_081546.jpg
20230710_163606.jpg
20230710_163808.jpg
20230710_163840.jpg