• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mountain Men movie Short muzzle loaders?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We should all be grateful that Mr. Heston, in his later years, saw the need to provide entertainment based on a period of time largely overlooked. For both Heston and Kieth it most have been quite an exertion on their parts.
A little side story.
About 1988 I was working on the construction of a merchant 15MW Coal fired (actually coal scrap from a 900MW plant 100 miles away) in the desert outside now called Primm, Nevada off Hwy 15. We were high on the side of the foothills of a mountain and could see the desert floor below for miles. Noticed one day a fleet of trucks and fancy motorhomes corralled out in the desert below. I had a water truck show up first day and since we had the only well for miles let them fill up. The driver told me they were making a movie. Anyway. One day the driver says its about lunch time on the set, "You want to have a free lunch?" So I rode with him and got into the chow line. There's Charlton Heston and Jack Palance sitting together wearing the same kind of space suit he had on in Planet of the Apes. Both were older men now. Noticing the new face in the crowd they asked me if I was from the area and what were real estate prices etc. I thought Wow! Just a couple of everyday Joe's. By the way. We were all eating hot dogs and they never tasted better.

It was sad to see him near the end.
I never met Mr. Costanza. However, for those who knew him, he is mentioned on this Certificate of Authenticity, a copy of which accompanied both the Heston and Keith Mountain Men guns that sold through the Rock Island Auction:

2022-11-05.png

Also, for those who haven't gotten tired of this thread yet, I found that the Charlton Heston T/C Hawken rifle was listed for sale on the iCollector website in February, 2017, twenty-one months before Rock Island Auction put it on the market, but it evidently did not sell. iCollector displays several very good photos of the rifle, and none of them duplicate the photos shown by the Rock Island Auction. Check it out here: Charlton Heston Hawken

It may be noteworthy that the iCollector listing was for just the rifle and a Stembridge Gun Rentals tag, and it did not sell. The rifle did sell through the Rock Island Auction in December, 2018, but it was part of a lot that included the rifle, the Certificate of Authenticity (above), a photo of Heston and Keith in character, and a buckskin shirt worn by Heston in the movie. I suppose they figured since the rifle didn't sell by itself, they would sweeten the deal with a few other related items. I guess the strategy worked.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

I may have missed it, but I did not see the rifle Brian Keith used in the iCollector catalog online, although Rock Island had it for sale along with the Heston rifle.

Those days are gone like it or not. I will quote a certain screen hero circa 1977 "ancient religions and hokey weapons are no substitute for a good blaster at your side"!!!!

‘77 or was it ‘78?
Walk
Late "77" my 2nd viewing. 2 of my best friends died in a car accident while I and the brother of one of the deceased were at the movies. We were supposed to be with them to celebrate a birthday. They were running late to pick us up so we split and did our own thing. It's etched in my brain to painfully never be forgotten. Xcuse the rant.

I never met Mr. Costanza. However, for those who knew him, he is mentioned on this Certificate of Authenticity, a copy of which accompanied both the Heston and Keith Mountain Men guns that sold through the Rock Island Auction:

View attachment 173157

Also, for those who haven't gotten tired of this thread yet, I found that the Charlton Heston T/C Hawken rifle was listed for sale on the iCollector website in February, 2017, twenty-one months before Rock Island Auction put it on the market, but it evidently did not sell. iCollector displays several very good photos of the rifle, and none of them duplicate the photos shown by the Rock Island Auction. Check it out here: Charlton Heston Hawken

It may be noteworthy that the iCollector listing was for just the rifle and a Stembridge Gun Rentals tag, and it did not sell. The rifle did sell through the Rock Island Auction in December, 2018, but it was part of a lot that included the rifle, the Certificate of Authenticity (above), a photo of Heston and Keith in character, and a buckskin shirt worn by Heston in the movie. I suppose they figured since the rifle didn't sell by itself, they would sweeten the deal with a few other related items. I guess the strategy worked.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

I may have missed it, but I did not see the rifle Brian Keith used in the iCollector catalog online, although Rock Island had it for sale along with the Heston rifle.
I also happen to know Al Frisch, he sets up at the local gun show here the past couple years. I have a Trapdoor that originated from him, that was used in the old movie "Gunga Din". I rebuilt it into a sporting rifle. Message me if you would like to see pictures,

Probably not. Life for most people way back in THE DAY was often pretty brutal. But in the case of Sacajawea, her contribution to the Lewis and Clarke expedition was truly impressive. She was a young women who had very recently given birth, but there she was on that arduous journey, guiding the expedition while caring for her infant. There was no romance with either Lewis or Clarke, as she was married to a French Canadian who also came on the trip.

I think the true story, well told would make very good film. But Hollywood can't help itself. Besides, they have mostly contempt for their audience, anyway.
I think that William Clark was fond of Sacajawea but in a fatherly sense. Moreover he was so fond of little pomp that he wanted to raise him.I believe he did take him and his sister to educate them

Back