• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Mountain Men movie Short muzzle loaders?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mountian men with Charlton Heston and Brian Keith; mOvies not being accurate, I did notice in the opening scenes thier muzzle loaders had very short barrels: Anyone note make/model and time period accuracy?
There was an article in one of our magazines about that; seems a high-quality rifle maker was contracted to build two longrifles for Last/Mohicans, I believe. But the Director did not want such long guns, and the builder refused to shorten them! The Director found some butcher to chop them shorter. I don't believe most actors like handling them, and directors have to take space and frame composition into account.

Many years ago when side locks were the only muzzle loaders around the manufacturers came up with an affordable rifle with a 28" to 32" barrel and someone said, "It looks sort of like a Hawken" and that was it. Some of the original Hawken rifles had 39" barrels and most of the mountain men used regular long rifles in 50 caliber or larger. So...one of the big "re-enactmentisms" of our time.

There was an article in one of our magazines about that; seems a high-quality rifle maker was contracted to build two longrifles for Last/Mohicans, I believe. But the Director did not want such long guns, and the builder refused to shorten them! The Director found some butcher to chop them shorter. I don't believe most actors like handling them, and directors have to take space and frame composition into account.
Well, the reverse.. two shorter period correct rifles were made and the director opted for a longer Roman nosed affair from a much later period.

Phil Spangenberger said and I quote
"When I was the black powder editor at Guns & Ammo Magazine (G&A), Syd Stembridge called and asked if I could help prop man Bud Shelton select some authentic firearms for Charlton Heston’s then-latest movie The Mountain Men (1980). Bud had purchased several commercially produced, so-called “Hawken” muzzle loading rifles, but they were too modern looking with their polyurethane coated stocks, short blued barrels and brass furniture. Unfortunately, Shelton said he’d already purchased them and had to use them. When I suggested that I knew an artisan who could give them a proper 1830s look, he agreed to have them “uglified.” The guns were sent to my longtime pal Frank Costanza, who within about ten days, transformed these modern-looking smokepoles into what looked like well-used, cut-down, tackdecorated with rawhide repairs, frontierera Plains rifles—the real deals!"

Taken from here MR.AUTHENTICITY

i believe it was 1980, my girlfriend and i went to the drive-in to see that movie, she is now my wife, as she is standing over our 1935 gas stove in our cabin cooking breakfast for me and my friend and forum member "mule brain" who is here today to shoot on my range. i met her in 75 and we married in 81, the movie seems like yesterday to me. it goes fast friend,,,,,,,,,,,,,
The shocking thing is from 25 to 65 goes 10x faster than 12 to 25. In your teens you look down the road of life and it stretches to the horizon. In your 60s it's like looking at the freighttrain of death rushing at you out of the blackness of a tunnel and you know you won't be able to get out of the way in time.

The shocking thing is from 25 to 65 goes 10x faster than 12 to 25. In your teens you look down the road of life and it stretches to the horizon. In your 60s it's like looking at the freighttrain of death rushing at you out of the blackness of a tunnel and you know you won't be able to get out of the way in time.
wow! now i feel deaths icy grip on my soul! but the good part is i know Jesus as my Lord and my God, so it has no sting on me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

The shocking thing is from 25 to 65 goes 10x faster than 12 to 25.
My maternal grandfather said, "If you make it to 50, you might as well say you are 75." He made that statement at 95, so he had some real perspective.

A question if I may, what was an "average" life span for a mountain man during that period?

The word came down to us in the Wind River muzzleloaders and the Wyo. Mountain men. There was a movie being shot up in the Jackson Hole area that was in need of extras for the movie. Wear your best mountain man gear and come hither! Was not able to go myself but many of my friends went. They are in the movie. Recognize them as I watch. They packed the rifles and pistols they owned. Great movie.

Well, the reverse.. two shorter period correct rifles were made and the director opted for a longer Roman nosed affair from a much later period.
I may have confused the movie name; we often confuse Mohicans with other ones. But the one I was thinking of was as stated, whatever the name! Thanks for your comments! Then there's The Patriot, etc., etc. That ambush scene was brilliant! I understand it's viewed millions of times.

He is shooting a percussion until he looses it after being captured. After that he uses a flint.
Walk
I watched "The Mountain Men" to refresh my memory and get me fired up for deer season. Bill Tyler had what looks to be a T/C Hawken in caplock in the beginning of the movie amd Henry had an Interarms Hawken by the looks of the patch box. Your correct, Bill Tyler ended up with the Flintlock by the end of the movie, the rifle that was on display at the NRA museum. Interesting they chose the rifle from the end of the movie to display. Makes me wonder if the NRA museum has the first rifle in their possession? Talking with the young man at the courtesy counter, he mentioned they had hundreds of more guns, but simply didn't have room to display them all.

MVA58065_800x.jpeg

The Roman nose long ones had 46" barrels made by Wayne Watson I reunited with at Dixions gun fair in July. I have handled one of the guns he made for the movie Last of the Mohicans

Last edited:
The word came down to us in the Wind River muzzleloaders and the Wyo. Mountain men. There was a movie being shot up in the Jackson Hole area that was in need of extras for the movie. Wear your best mountain man gear and come hither! Was not able to go myself but many of my friends went. They are in the movie. Recognize them as I watch. They packed the rifles and pistols they owned. Great movie.
I have a DVD of the movie here on Australia, its superb.

Back