• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"WHITE WOMEN AND WHISKEY" REALLY?"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most snow we've had amounted to about 9 inches standing in 2017. Our elevation is only 2600 ft. above sea level so we don't get a lot of standing snow, it usually is gone in 2 or 3 days. I bought the plow in 2018 and have only used it twice since then. There is a real art to using a snow plow, I have as of yet learned it. What we get is wind, wind chill, and lower temperatures, nothing as low as -38º. Right now it's 36º with a wind chill of 26º.

181114-002  2 x 1_3.jpg

The machine is more battle scarred now, I've crashed it a couple times on rides in the Owyhee Mountains. Even had to replace a lower A arm.

Just for the sake of reality TooT, native american women bathed on average twice a day. nor did they smear themselves with grease.
this in contrast with the colonial's who bathed once a month whether they needed it or not.
what did they do to get so dirty that they had to wash up / bath twice a day? must have been a bugger in winter? just don't know?

what did they do to get so dirty that they had to wash up / bath twice a day? must have been a bugger in winter? just don't know?
It’s one of those cultural myths from the seventies. The idea that Indians were clean and whites dirty.
indians did bathe and used yucca or similar as soap. When it was reasonable to do.
white woman washed several times a day. These were ‘spit baths.’
One will note how much soap was supplied both to rendezvous and armies at the time. How much went in wagons west.
did white women get in to tubes, not every day. But a wet cloth was on her body daily

To get back to rendevzous. Am I the only one here that was at La Veta in 1980 when Charlton Heston, his wife, his son and daughter-in-law came to the rendevzous and we had the World Premier of the movie the Mountain Men??

Just caught the movie Mountain Men with Charlton Heston and Brian Keith. I thought it was really pretty good and the scenery was gorgeous of course. Some things were very accurate and others, well, not so much. (Not sure if the Mountain Men in those days, had perfect, bright white teeth or not?? lol). But the Rendezvous info. that was written on the note they found that promised "White Women & Whiskey", proved to be pretty wild to say the least. Well now, I ain't never been to one, so I was wonderin' did any of the Rendezvous you've been to even come close to what was shown in the movie?? And don't worry, all your comments will be kept in the strictest confidence and no wives will ever read them.;) Flashpoint!

YES, nuff said....

A SOUTHERNER MOVES NORTH ...
Monday: 5:00PM. It's starting to snow. The first of the season and the first one we've seen in years. The wife and I took our hot buttered rums and sat by the picture window, watching the soft flakes drift down, clinging to the trees and covering the ground. It was beautiful. So relaxing and peaceful.

Tuesday: We woke up to a lovely blanket of crystal white snow covering the landscape. What a fantastic sight. Every tree and shrub covered with a beautiful white mantle. I shoveled snow for the first time in years and loved it! I did both our driveway and our sidewalk. Later a city snowplow came along and accidentally covered up our driveway with snow from the street. The driver smiled and waved. I waved back and shoveled it again.

Wednesday: It snowed an additional 5 inched last night and the temperature dropped to around 11 degrees. Several limbs on the trees snapped due to weight of the snow. I shoveled our driveway again. Shortly afterwards the snowplow came by and did his trick again. I wonder about that guy. Why's he always smiling?

Thursday: Warmed up enough during the day to create some slush which turned to ice when the temperature dropped again. Bought snow tires for both cars. Fell on my ass in the driveway. $145 for the emergency room visit but nothing was broken. More snow and ice expected.

Friday: Still cold. Sold the wife's car and bought a 4X4 in order to get her to work. Slid into a guardrail and did a considerable amount of damage to the right rear quarter panel. Had another 8 inches of white Cranberries last night. Both vehicles covered in salt and crud. More shoveling in store for me today. That goddamn snowplow came by twice today, smiling bastard.

Saturday: 2 degrees outside. More freaking snow. Not a tree or shrub on the property that hasn't been damaged. Power was off most of the night and some pipes burst in the basement. Tried to keep from freezing to death with candles and a kerosene heater which tipped over and nearly burned the house down. I managed to put out the flames but suffered 2nd degree burns on my hands and lost my eyebrows. Brand new 4X4 slid on the ice on way to the emergency room and was totaled.

Sunday: #@$%&^*! keeps coming down. Have to put on all clothes we own just to get to the freaking mailbox. I think the son-of-a-gun that drives the snowplow hides around the corner and waits for me to finish shoveling and then comes down the street about 100MPH, grinning from ear to ear, and buries our driveway again. F^*%$er! If I ever catch him I'll shove a cane pole up his ass and mount him in the front yard as a warning to the next snowplow driver! Power still off. Toilet froze and part of the roof has started to cave in.

Monday: Six damn more freakin' inches of freakin' snow and freakin' ice and god knows what other kink of white freakin' Cranberries fell last night. Wife left me. Car won't start. I think I'm going snowblind. I can't move my toes. Haven't seen the sun in weeks. I wounded the freakin' snowplow ******* with an ice ax but he got away. More freain' snow predicted. Wind chill minus 35 freakin' degrees. I'm going back to North Carolina!

I'm beginning to understand why Jeremiah Johnston burnt his Cabin to the ground.....

can't remember. kinda like the 60's. if you were there you don't remember it.

ROTFLMAO!!!! I didn't graduate High School until 1971 and never did any drug experimentation before I joined the Marine Corps a few months after I graduated.

However, this general saying was ALL TOO TRUE for many folks back then. 😆

Gus

ROTFLMAO!!!! I didn't graduate High School until 1971 and never did any drug experimentation before I joined the Marine Corps a few months after I graduated.

However, this general saying was ALL TOO TRUE for many folks back then. 😆

Gus

We must be of the same vintage Gus, I enlisted in the Australian Army in 1971, the only "drugs" most of our blokes got hooked on was the M60 GPMG and Asian "ladies"........OMG I failed to mention Adrenalin.

It’s one of those cultural myths from the seventies. The idea that Indians were clean and whites dirty.
indians did bathe and used yucca or similar as soap. When it was reasonable to do.
white woman washed several times a day. These were ‘spit baths.’
One will note how much soap was supplied both to rendezvous and armies at the time. How much went in wagons west.
did white women get in to tubes, not every day. But a wet cloth was on her body daily
it is what is called a P -T- A -BATH. the last one- A stands for ARM PITS. you figure out the P&T.

Just for the sake of reality TooT, native american women bathed on average twice a day. nor did they smear themselves with grease.
this in contrast with the colonial's who bathed once a month whether they needed it or not.
Depends on where you were. Here in Tidewater Virginia, the Powhatan folks- men and women both- coated themselves with a mixture of bear oil and pigments every day after bathing in the river. The commonest pigment was made from the root of puccoon (Lithospermum carolinensis) which, mixed with the grease makes a terrific sunblock and mosquito repellent. It also stains the skin a dark red. After his time among the people, John Smith wrote that they were born “as pale as Englishmen,” but that they darkened over time “through constant exposure to the sun and the daily use… of puccones.”
From experience I can also tell you that anointing yourself with grease helps keep you warmer in the cold here when wearing authentic Virginia Algonquian clothes. Hell on the upholstery, though… 😳
Jay

Mtman725, you need a fully enclosed hard cab on that CanAm. I have one on mine in IL, plus a heater/defroster. Thing is, you never need the heater because the engine heat keeps the cab so warm.

Back