• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Liver-Eating Johnson in True West Magazine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hahaha

Any doctor huh?

I think I'll start calling doctors in the area today and ask them if they get exhausted hacking one human body up or if it takes several before they really get exhausted.

I'll just Google doctors in this region and start calling, I'll get their names off the internet and ask for that doctor when the receptionist answers the phone.

Do you really get exhausted when you hack a human body up?
Or do you have to hack up two or three before you really get exhausted?

Back to the op, I might pick up “The Never Ending Lives of Liver Eating Johnson” by DJ Herda, seems to be a more accurate telling of what facts we know about him and separates facts from the myths.

oh $#!T I can already see the headlines in the news, the authorities will be raiding the house of a certain member of one of those online forms and trying to identify all the different body parts they're going to find . . . and they're going to trace it right back to the member that instigated him into doin it

I'll confess... I'm a True West subscriber. Some issues don't have much to offer, but this month (December 2023) they have Liver-Eating Johnson on the cover:

View attachment 271435

There is an interesting article about him in the magazine, with somewhat limited text but a bunch of period paintings By A.J. Miller and others. The article was written by D.J. Herda, author of the full-length biography, "The Never Ending Lives of Liver-Eating Johnson." There is also a full page "fact sheet" about the hepativorous frontiersman that pretty much covers his lifespan. The story of his "terrifying nickname" was hardly more than a footnote. I've read several versions of that story, but the magazine only related one. He was an interesting character, to say the least.

This issue also has an article covering "the 10 best mountain man movies." Some of the entries don't really fit the category, but "Jeremiah Johnson" got the #1 spot, and "The Mountain Men," with Charlton Heston and Brian Keith, was right up there. And, of course, "The Revenant" was front and center.

Finally, Phil Spangenburger covered the topic of Hawken rifles in three pages. Not much there for a hard-core Hawken buff, and there were at least a couple of factual errors, but the illustrations are good. One of the J&S rifles shown has an ornate patchbox and a single-set trigger. There are just a few of these out there, but it is not common to see them illustrated.

Only you can decide if it's worth the off-the-rack purchase price of $6.99, but it is one of the better recent issues.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
I used to subscribe to Backwoodsman magazine, but now check out the issues on the newsstand, as sometimes there isn't anything I want to read, but that happens with almost any publication. I like Guns of the Old West, and find the same thing. Good that there's interest in history nowadays; good luck!

hahaha

Any doctor huh?

I think I'll start calling doctors in the area today and ask them if they get exhausted hacking one human body up or if it takes several before they really get exhausted.

I'll just Google doctors in this region and start calling, I'll get their names off the internet and ask for that doctor when the receptionist answers the phone.

Do you really get exhausted when you hack a human body up?
Or do you have to hack up two or three before you really get exhausted?
I watch a lot of Bones on tv.
Today we have band saws, can make short work of cows, your idiot brother inlaw, or the grandmother that is holding your inheritance (i watch law & order too).
Back then it was a lot of work. Why ya think the Indians only took the scalps even when the buffalo were scarce.

Last edited:
Is " "Crow Killer" The Saga of Liver Eating Johnson" by Raymond Thorp and Robert Bunker a good historical read or is it fact and fiction tall tails? Thought about picking up the new addition of it...
It is, in my humble opinion. I had been hunting in Wyoming and had gone through Crazy Woman Canyon and that started a conversation about Jerimiah Johnson and the real man. Later in the trip, I bought a copy of the book; at Halls Drug Store no less. That was 30+ years ago but still, a good read that I read more than once. Loaned it out some years ago and never got it back. May have to get another and reread.

sell you the one I have probably about 15 bucks including postage.
It may be a good story but I don't like it because they tried to pass off as a true story and it's not.

Latest posts

Back