• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mountain Men movie Short muzzle loaders?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So going back to my OP.... Were shorter barrels used back in that timeframe as seen in the first battle scene. And if so, why the whole lonber barrels are better issue for some?

The Roman nose long ones had 46" barrels made by david Watson I reunited with at Dixions gun fair in July. I have handled one of the guns he made for the movie Last of the Mohicans
Wayne Watson i believe. John Bivins made two shorter rifles sith a Christian's Spring styling that were rejected by Mann IIRC.

My maternal grandfather said, "If you make it to 50, you might as well say you are 75." He made that statement at 95, so he had some real perspective.

A question if I may, what was an "average" life span for a mountain man during that period?
Reminds me of Burgess Meredith in Grumpy old men. ‘One day you wake up and realize your not eighty anymore’
Few men stayed Mountain men for long. Most worked out a hitch with a company and then drifted in to something else. Lots of ways to die, but many went on to lives over fifty.

Last edited:
“Well, what was I supposed to do with her? Let Cross Otter cut her up for wolf bait?”

I remember reading an article in the old Buckskinner Magazine (still have 12 originals here) where some of the extras described their part in the making of "The Mountain Men" and some of Charlton Hestons comments.
Thank God I bought a DVD copy after I too wore out a VHS tape of it.

Reminds me of Burgess Meredith in Grumpy old men. ‘One day you wake up and realize your not eighty anymore’
Few men stayed Mountain men for long. Most worked out a hitch with a company and then drifted in to something else. Lots of ways to die, but many went on to lives over fifty.
Or found a comforting Winter Woman and never let the following seasonal changes change their mind.

One of my direct family members was John Neuman. At 18 he was drafted onto the Corps of Discovery. He was killed in a fight with the Sioux on the upper Missouri in 1838…at 53.

Can’t really find much about him after the Corps got back to St Louis and Lewis wrote the President on his behalf to get him paid. I sit and wonder sometime about the life he led and all the characters he must have known personally.

At 55 it gives me a reason to pursue this hobby with more vigor knowing I am be walking in his footsteps age wise and geographically.

This summer my son and I stop at The Point of Rocks in Kansas on the Santa Fe Trail…standing there I wondered how many times he had stood there looking out at the same view…

MVA58065_800x.jpeg
I'm not sure what she has planned. The gun appears to be on half cock, and her finger isn't ready on the trigger.

Great movie, good fun.
I enjoyed that movie when I first saw it years ago. I'll have to go back and watch it again to understand the discussion about authenticity of the firearms. But I was new to the muzzle loader adventure back then. My big takeaway of the movie was that Heston and Kieth had a lot of fun making this movie.

Latest posts

Back