• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Mountain rifle with stainless barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone know if CVA ever offered a limited run of mountain rifles with stainless barrels or offered optional stainless barrels? Here's the scoop. Last year I picked up a CVA mountain rifle in 58 caliber at auction. It was advertised as having a 28" stainless steel barrel. I figured yeah right, it is likely a barrel that has been cut and left in the white. I don't know if the consignor told the auction house it was stainless or if they just figured that because it wasn't blued. Anyhow I bought it. Looking at it I'm not so sure. The barrel is 28". If someone cut the barrel the work was very well done. The muzzle is crowned very well and the the front sight dovetail well cut. It has a peep sight installed so the rear sight dovetail has a filler installed that matches the barrel. Plus it has one ram rod thimble and it is not in the position that either are on the 32" barrels . It is about 1 1/2" back of where the front thimble would be on a 32" barrel. A fair bit of work to remove and reinstall a thimble for 1 1/2". The barrel is stamped Connecticut Valley Arms and has a serial number so it's not a after market barrel. It does not say Spain on it. There is no rusting on the outside of the barrel or really much age related patina. So I figured maybe the previous owner sprayed it with a coating. However it has some scratches from use but there is no rusting in any of the scratches. Also the bore is spotless. No pitting or even age related staining of any kind. Plus I thought okay, I removed the barrel and tried some Oxpho Blue on the underside. I cleaned the area first and lightly steel wooled the area to remove any coating. All the bluing did was kind of tarnish the area a bit and most of that wiped off. So I was wondering was a stainless steel barrel ever offered for these? I'm still not sure if it is indeed stainless. I was thinking when I bought it that I would brown the barrel etc. But looking at the bore and after my "blue test" I think I might be opening a can of worms if I try to brown or blue it. I also have a CVA flintlock mountain rifle here that the barrel was left in the white. It shows patina and age related coloring from time like a normal steel barrel would show.

Attachments

• 46780921_1.jpg
    46780921_1.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6502.jpeg
    IMG_6502.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6504.jpeg
    IMG_6504.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6505.jpeg
    IMG_6505.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I'm guessing it's a coating. I find this interesting, just last weekend i was thinking about a 54 hawken barrel on a new old stock Mt rifle stock i have.

Yes, a magnet will stick on it. I read up on that and it depends on the alloy. It also said that most stainless steel gun barrels are magnetic.

I'm going to say its carbon steel that has never been blued/browned. It doesnt have the sheen of stainless.
Funny, I actually thought it has a fair bit of sheen to it. More than my Stainless Savage has or my inline had. It certainly may not be stainless but I'm really surprised at the condition of the bore and not sure why the Oxphoblue didn't really do anything.
I was also just searching on the net. I found a discussion where various members supplied the serial numbers for mountain rifles that were marked as "made in USA". My serial number is lower than a lot of those that were listed. But maybe there is no rhyme or reason to CVA serian numbers from back then.

Last edited:
the amount of polish determines how will a left in the white barrel will resist corrosion and then the amount of preservatives that are used to wipe it down with . if you want to truly get it to blue you would boil it with a cleaner at least 2 times

All mountain rifles were 32"

An ultra rare cva hawken had a 28" barrel.

Considering you only have 1 ramrod thimble, I'd say it's a cut down barrel.

No sidelock by cva was offered with a stainless steel barrel. Your barrel is in the white. Not finished

I guess I will have to go with the opinion of it being in the white. But I have to say whoever did the work shortening the barrel did a first rate job. It's a nice bush gun.

Here are a couple of pics of the muzzle and bore. The camera does pick up scratches on the muzzle.
In regards to putting water on it to see if it rusts, the gun has the typical CVA tang. Over time, there was rust on the face of the tang and where the hook sits into. There was a tiny bit of rust on the barrel hook but nothing on the face of the barrel where it sits against the tang. Because of scratches on the muzzle, I would say shortened barrel.

Attachments

• IMG_6511.jpeg
    IMG_6511.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6514.jpeg
    IMG_6514.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back