• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lipstick on a pig

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well I pretty much finished the facelift on this old .40 cal. that I built nearly 40 ago.
I was young, naive and not much patience and made a lot of mistakes, so I decided it was time to make it more appealing.
It's been a lot like putting lipstick on a pig...it's still a pig.....but no longer a 2 bagger.
One thing I've learned is it's harder fix than to get it right the first time.

Attachments

• IMG_20240105_205408848_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240105_205408848_HDR.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
I have given away the rifles I have made so far. keeps me from constantly being reminded of my mistakes and shortcomings. also don't have the temptation to redo things. I don't like to look back.

Bob Ross said he never had any of his own artwork displayed in his house because it would drive him nuts picking apart the mistakes every time he looked at it.

Moleman, I would have reshaped the lock panels and put the front sight on the other way, but it isn't my gun and the whole thing looks pretty good to me. I did some dumb things to my guns when I was much younger and have enjoyed putting a few of them right again, for example I thought the Marlin bullseye was where you were supposed to drill for the rear sling stud...and it came out so I doweled the hole and glued it in. I found out the plastic bullseyes can be bought and replaced it a few years ago, inletting a two-screw European mount behind it instead.

Well I pretty much finished the facelift on this old .40 cal. that I built nearly 40 ago.
I was young, naive and not much patience and made a lot of mistakes, so I decided it was time to make it more appealing.
It's been a lot like putting lipstick on a pig...it's still a pig.....but no longer a 2 bagger.
I just got back my first pistol now it looks crude as can be. I'm torn whether to rebuild it or keep it original as built.

Well it s a pretty good looking pig I gotta.say

My first is Much worse. I did the same thing with the front site too. A friend asked why I put it on backwards. Can’t flip it around or it just about sticks off the barrel though. Still works for what it is supposed to do.

My very first scratch built rifle was not a thing of beauty and had mistakes like the wrong style lock. However, it was one of the most accurate shooting rifles I've ever owned and I won so much stuff with it at shoots it isn't funny.

I still have the first three rifles I built an all from scratch. For me when I look at them it gives me an appreciation of accomplishment. Not that their great builds but the fact I tried an kept at it. Also how much I learned a long the way.

That's a nice looking rifle . . . only major flaw I see from a distance is the thick lock panels, but the overall shape of the rifle is good and the wood is nice. . . I prefer a nose cap on a rifle, but to each his own.

Back