• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

White Mtn carbine fixed itself

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I posted about my T/C White Mtn carbine having issues with my standard load and the steps I had to take to make it shoot to it's previous accuracy. Folks on this board had a lot of suggestions (thank you all) but as it was shooting well with the adjustments I made to the load, I took it hunting as it was. I literally changed nothing, and simply hunted with it, cleaned it and stuck it back int he safe. I did not use it during the 2022 season at all.

The other day I drug the gun to the range to check the sights. On a whim I loaded up my original load of 85 grains Swiss FFG (a new can), a homemade felt wad (soaked as always in 50/50 Ballistol-water mix), and a home cast Lee 250 grain R.E.A.L. bullet. I think I was using CCI musket caps. The targets below were the results. It fixed itself. The first 3 shots I fired were at 50 yards. I plinked at a steel plate at 100 yards and hit it easily. I then shot the last 4 rounds at 75 yards. The new can of Swiss is the only variation in the process.

It is enough to make you think you are going a little crazy at times.

I shouldn't complain, we have a new area to hunt and it is thick with palmetto and scrub. I will need to pack a climbing stand in with me to get above the clutter. The new place is thick with pig and deer and gator. My "Stubby" gun is back to its old self and I should be happy. This little gun is a joy to carry and use in the thickets and I look forward to using it to knock a pig down.

Attachments

• White Mtn carbine July 2023 50 yards.jpg
    White Mtn carbine July 2023 50 yards.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • White Mtn carbine July 2023 75 yards.jpg
    White Mtn carbine July 2023 75 yards.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • White Mtn carbine full .jpg
    White Mtn carbine full .jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Be aware, that sometime TOO MUCH lube can destroy accuracy! This happens a lot with Bore Butter! The round, ball or bullet, then tends to 'skip' down the bore and doesn't grab or engage the rifling enough.

I'm guessing you had cleaned it well before this outing and that perhaps on your other situation years ago ... you had been shootin' it soooo much that too much lube had built up in the barrel.

Latest posts

Back