• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Joseph Golcher Lock - Replacement nipple needed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curry99

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello all, I've searched and not having any luck with a replacement nipple for my old .32 cal squirrel rifle. It was a gift from my father, he taught me range safety, patience, and marksmanship so it will never be for sale. After attempting to match up nipple sizes withTrack of the Wolf and others, the threaded diameter just seems much smaller than what they offer. Granted it's a little loose in the drum as I actually turned out with finger pressure this time, recalling it turned out too easily 40 or so years ago with a small wrench so I stopped shooting it after I started reloading metallic cartridges. Either way, any assistance is greatly appreciated to help me return it to shooting condition and no longer have it just be a wall ornament. Critical measurements of the existing nipple are as follows: 0.205 diameter base, 0.170 threaded journal, TPI seems distorted but very coarse-maybe 18-20 and 0.722 overall.
20231128_054112.jpg

Attachments

• 20231128_054200.jpg
    20231128_054200.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • RifleNipple.JPG
    RifleNipple.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 0
You will not find anything like that for sale. IT looks home made. The drum is rotten too. Both need to be replaced to shoot it safely.

Is the bore decent? I'd be surprised it it was. IF bad, rebore to 36 cal also?

Maybe it is best as a wall hanger and memento? The wood will be dry and brittle making damage much more likely if it is shot.

I think I would leave it as a wall hanger:dunno:. Go buy something new or in very good condition and shoot that to be safe.

another option would be to send it to bobby hoyt to have the bore and breech plug integrity checked.. if its good he could install a new drum and nipple and you would be safely on your way to shooting again.

You will not find anything like that for sale. IT looks home made. The drum is rotten too. Both need to be replaced to shoot it safely.

Is the bore decent? I'd be surprised it it was. IF bad, rebore to 36 cal also?

Maybe it is best as a wall hanger and memento? The wood will be dry and brittle making damage much more likely if it is shot.
Sound advice [email protected] haven't tried removing the drum yet as I suspect locating it will be even tougher than a replacement nipple. Thanks for the response.

another option would be to send it to bobby hoyt to have the bore and breech plug integrity checked.. if its good he could install a new drum and nipple and you would be safely on your way to shooting again.
Thanks 2 shots. I'll soak the drum in some FreeAll tomorrow. If it turns out, will run a camera down the bore and go from there.

I think I would leave it as a wall hanger:dunno:. Go buy something new or in very good condition and shoot that to be safe.
Wishing it had gone into a bore store 40 yrs ago Zug, rather than neglected. Dad's old double barrel shotgun is worse but at least the nipples are standard. I'll tackle that project once I decide which path to take on the rifle.

Sound advice [email protected] haven't tried removing the drum yet as I suspect locating it will be even tougher than a replacement nipple. Thanks for the response.
You will not locate a replacement. IT will need to be made.

If this kind of work is new to you I suggest stepping back. A lot of damage happens real fast when you do not have the correct tools and experience. And as preciously mentioned, the breech plug will need to be pulled and inspected. The chances of it being sound are low.

I'd agree - if the bore is OK a new drum and nipple. Have the same problem with an original Ohio 45 - cap erosion had totally eaten the outside of the drum but bore is remarkably good so a new drum and nipple will be fitted when I get to that part of the restoration - still working on the Stock. Rudyard did a cracking job on rebuilding the Birmingham made lock.

Following up on my time capsure project and findings so far and your continued input is extremely appreciated guys.... after gently removing the drum, cleaning the part, carefully brass-wire-hand-brushing, and dialing in my limited knowledge of correct-era parts availability (Dad's family was very large, pre-depression farmers in appalachia WV, of course VA before 1860) I'm inclined to go with Scota on the home made drum and accepting there is a whole lot to dial in, taking pains not to damage or render as junk if not "enlightened". I can't find another pic of a Joseph Golcher percussion lock/side plate utilizing the exact same part. Most are smooth when a small pipe configuration, not resembling a bolt like this one that was bored out, nippled, and turned or forced into the barrel. Threads appear to be very close to16 TPI but I'm finding an 8mm bolt I picked up last night when measured is as close to anything I've located so far that seems to thread in and stops at about 2 revolutions. I'm not happy about the 8-1.25 engagement as it seems a touch too fine, but it's not to say the barrel threads weren't modified along the way to 16TPI by the last one in it. Track of the Wolf has an 8-1.25 nipple that might work and I've studied just about all of them he lists, actually would probably prefer one that I don't see that is not drilled/tapped so I can time it. He offers standard non-tapped but that would require me tapping the barrel and changing the current arrangement (defintiely no turning back on that). Also, curious what the splitting/freying on the hammer's edge is usually evidence of (incorrect nipple, engagement, wrong primer, or something else) ? Lots to dial in and really hoping for some good advice please....

Attachments

• Rifle2.JPG
    Rifle2.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Rifle.JPG
    Rifle.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Nipple post-soak.JPG
    Nipple post-soak.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 0
  • .325drum.JPG
    .325drum.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 16TPI nipple.JPG
    16TPI nipple.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DrumNippleBolt.JPG
    DrumNippleBolt.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 0
I'd agree - if the bore is OK a new drum and nipple. Have the same problem with an original Ohio 45 - cap erosion had totally eaten the outside of the drum but bore is remarkably good so a new drum and nipple will be fitted when I get to that part of the restoration - still working on the Stock. Rudyard did a cracking job on rebuilding the Birmingham made lock.
Thanks Bucks Co, the bore seems very nice after lighting it up and running a scope. So far, my lock has never failed me and I've resisted the temptation to disassemble any further lol.

You won't find anything like that looking for Joseph Golcher. Golcher made locks, hardware stores carried the locks to sell to rifle builders, so he had nothing to do with the drum/nipple/barrel arrangement. The only way I'd consider firing that rifle is by correctly threading the barrel for a modern drum and nipple. Otherwise, it would be just a wall hanger for me.

Back