• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Touch Hole Liner Repair, Plug, and Redrill

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well... I messed up! But, it's been repaired. Shoots Great! One thing I've learned from getting old is everyone makes mistakes. After building multiple musical instruments in times past, I learned how to cover those mistakes and move on.

Did a search here and found some good info. Rather than throw away a new 50cal Rice barrel, I decided to fix it. This happened back in June at the end of this new 50cal rifle build. BTW, I have multiple pictures to show... but there on my ipad. I'll post later. Pictures will explain a lot.... Maybe this will help others... don't know.

The reason for this post is I need to ask a couple questions... and need some pro advice.

Question--- Do repaired touch holes "blow out" after extended use.... it ever... months... years... decades.... Do they become loose... Can the touch hole be repaired at that time.

Thanks, Mule
Pictures to follow...

Well... I messed up! But, it's been repaired. Shoots Great! One thing I've learned from getting old is everyone makes mistakes. After building multiple musical instruments in times past, I learned how to cover those mistakes and move on.

Did a search here and found some good info. Rather than throw away a new 50cal Rice barrel, I decided to fix it. This happened back in June at the end of this new 50cal rifle build. BTW, I have multiple pictures to show... but there on my ipad. I'll post later. Pictures will explain a lot.... Maybe this will help others... don't know.

The reason for this post is I need to ask a couple questions... and need some pro advice.

Question--- Do repaired touch holes "blow out" after extended use.... it ever... months... years... decades.... Do they become loose... Can the touch hole be repaired at that time.

Thanks, Mule
Pictures to follow...
Picture

Attachments

• IMG_3111.jpeg
    IMG_3111.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Added J B Weld…. Let dry and cut off excess.

Attachments

• IMG_3131.jpeg
    IMG_3131.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3133.jpeg
    IMG_3133.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
i have a gm barrel i got for close to nothing with the liner placed like the one in the first picture.
have never had a misfire with it. several hundred loads now. ascetically bothers some but i don't care.
you did a nice job though. might need draw filed a touch more to get the bolster gap closed but nice job.

I was with you till the JB weld.
Well... I see your point. It maybe overkill, but.

I didn't want to try soldering it in... didn't want to heat up the barrel... Didn't want to "peen" it in because it would mark up the barrel. And if I had to draw file it to much, I figured it would create a gap between the barrel and the lock.

But I appreciate your response... Just trying to learn from the people who know.
'
Thanks

i have a gm barrel i got for close to nothing with the liner placed like the one in the first picture.
have never had a misfire with it. several hundred loads now. ascetically bothers some but i don't care.
you did a nice job though. might need draw filed a touch more to get the bolster gap closed but nice job.
Well..... maybe I'm a little OCD... :ghostly:haha

I was with you till the JB weld.
I would have TIG welded the threaded stock in place. JB may be great, and it may last a lifetime, but it is a glue product. The rifle you build today may be used 100 years from now (don't we all know that). I don't want to roll over in my grave when someone gets hurt from 100 yo JB Weld. Just sayin'.

I was drilling a pilot hole for a white lightning liner, goofed up and drilled through one side of the barre and out the other side. I enlarged my errant pilot hole to take a 10/32 tap. I screwed a 11/32 screw in the hole with red lock-tite. I don't expect to ever have trouble with my plug. Zonie did the math and said my plug was 10 times stronger than any pressure I would generate in the breech.

Last edited:
I was drilling a pilot hole for a white lightning liner, goofed up and drilled through one side of the barre and out the other side. I I enlarged my errant pilot hole to take a 10/32 tap. I screwed a 11/32 screw in the hole with red lock-tite. I don't expect to ever have trouble with my plug. Zonie did the math and said my plug was 10 times stronger than any pressure I would generate in the breech.
Good idea about the red lock-tite. Never thought about that.

High-strength threadlocker would have worked, too, all it's doing is keeping the bushing from unscrewing. I get a kick out of people being nervous about the integrity of something just because epoxy was incorporated somehow.

JB Weld, original "cold weld" formula, is better in this application because it will cure right out to the end of the thread, unlike the anaerobic threadlockers.

Latest posts

Back