• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

LH in a RH world...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Are most fowlers built with cast off in the stock? I am left-handed, and searching for a flintlock fowler. I shoot my T/C Renegade just fine, and now am looking for something historically accurate. The lock detonation doesn't bother me. I'm more concerned with stock fit.

I'm over waiting on build times, and there are some nice right-hand guns out there. Just curious for some feedback on if I really need a LH gun to enjoy a fowler.

Thanks in advance.

I feel for you friend. Seems like south paws get the short end of the stick. It's difficult finding something that will work and also be comfortable for you.

My $0.02 as a fellow southpaw: If you're going to have something built why not a left handed gun?

No personal experience with them, but Kashtuk Bushcraft seems to have a good reputation and he will built the gun as a lefty for you.

My Chief's grade .62 flintlock fowler is left-handed. I bought it "in-the-white" from Caywood of Arkansas, but that was over 20 years ago. They are still in business and I would assume that they still make a left-hand fowler. Mine has a straight stock, no cast on or off. However, it works fine for me, and I like it.

Also, Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading (TVM) makes a left-hand fowler.

Thanks all. I’m not opposed to ordering a LH gun and would actually prefer that. I’m just tired of the build times/wait.

Last unmentionable I ordered I was told sixteen months, and nearly 36 months later I received it. Guess I’m just impatient grumbling.

I landed in the same boat. Been shooting right handed for 68 years, all my long guns are right. Went blind in my right eye this summer, left is to the point I can't see the front sights on my rifles. Thinking about a short barrel left Fowler.

TVM is good about offering left hand kits or builds . . . but there is the wait time for a built or in the white one. . . You may want to consider finding someone who has built a rifle . . . then if they will help . . . consider the Jim Chambers Left Hand PA fowler . . . it is not an overly difficult kit with an experienced coach. (Butt plate may be the hardest part.) Here is a pic of the one I built a few years ago. It is a wonderful smoothbore .62 rifle.

Attachments

• IMG_4025.jpg
    IMG_4025.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4026.jpg
    IMG_4026.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2268.JPG
    IMG_2268.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2264.JPG
    IMG_2264.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 0
I landed in the same boat. Been shooting right handed for 68 years, all my long guns are right. Went blind in my right eye this summer, left is to the point I can't see the front sights on my rifles. Thinking about a short barrel left Fowler.
Might be gettin' time for a drone....

I shoot left handed with long guns because of a bad right eye. I just shoot and don't give much thought about right handed guns. I have one left handed MZ rifle and it feels funny when I shoot it instead of all the others. One just becomes accustomed with whatever he uses. I am a right handed person.

I feel for you too. My youngest Son is left handed but still tries to shoot right handed guns. I know it’s frustrating for him, keeps him out of the sport. Now my other Son thinks it’s great cause he knows he’ll get most of my guns.

Latest posts

Back