• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbore History

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10 Ga.

Plainsman
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I know that this hobby attracts a lot of people who love history and the historical significance of their firearms (including myself). I am a relative newbie to the smoothbore part of the hobby. I have seen terms such as fusil de chasse, trade gun, Carolina trade gun, fowler/fowling piece, and a multitude of others. I was wondering how all of these firearms (and more) fit into a historical timeline. I am specifically interested in civilian weapons and not military smoothbore muskets. If possible could people list a smoothbore title (ie. Fusil de chasse), its date of common use, and any small historical facts that they know of the weapon or how they were used historically? I am just looking for a brief way to put these weapons into historical order and the locations in which they were used. I know that some aspects of history can be controversial (especially the dates of common use) but I am looking for more of a rough outline than publishable facts. I apologize if this is in another thread. I did some searching and did not find a compilation of smoothbore history.

Sincerely,
10 Ga.

Hi,
In truth, the answer to your question would take several books at least. You need to refine it. Timelines can be provided for specific guns, manufacturers, and ignition systems but not for broad generic terms like "fowler" or "trade gun". For example, whose trade guns, France, Britain, American, Dutch, Belgian? There were so many different styles of smooth bored guns and so many changes over time. Buy copies of Russell Bouchard's "The Fusil de Tulle in New France" and Tom Grinslade's "Flintlock Fowlers First Guns Made in America". For British guns get a copy of John George's "English Guns and Rifles". The fusil de chasse was produced between 1690 to 1740 or so but it had changes and variations. Muzzleloading trade guns were manufactured from the late 17th century until the 20th century with a multitude of designs depending on the manufacturer. The term fowler or smoothbored sporting gun covers a huge variety of firearms that differed by time, country and maker and are still made today. There were light upland game fowlers and big bored, long barreled waterfowlers. Dates go from the 16th century until the 20th.

dave

A start to a rough timeline on smoothbores in North America. I am not an expert by any means. I am hoping the experts will correct my errors and provide more information.

Tulle de Chasse: French origin used by French traders in what will be America and Canada in the late 1600’s (1670 or so?). These have a significant “roman nose” stock architecture.

English trade guns:
These are patterned after fine English fowlers, and were made in England but made more inexpensively. Mid 1700’s? The “Type G” or Carolina gun is an example. These tended to have brass fittings with bores that were as small as .58ish (24 gauge) up to 62’ish (20 gauge). These were traded to Natives in the Carolinas and beyond, also used by non-natives.

The Northwest Trade gun was a bit later than the Type G (note: Type G is a modern name) that was traded farther north.

A variety of stock woods were used. Walnut was common as was beech. I have read that later guns of this type would have wood that was imported to England from the America’s such as maple.

A common feature was a brass serpent side plate.

Last edited:
Thanks Bnewberry and Dave_person!

I love to get new book recommendations and I will be sure to look into them. I realize there will be a large amount of specificity that we can go into. I am mainly interested in an overview of designs and how they were used. To be more specific I am mainly interested in how these weapons were used in the americas historically, when they were used, by who, and the details that separate them or show a progression in style or technology. I know this will be a lot for a forum based discussion but I’m mainly looking for high level overview but would be happy to learn more detail as well.

Thanks again,
10 Ga.

@10 Ga. One of the issues that will complicate your desired "time line" (and I completely understand your request) is that there is a lot of overlap time wise with these guns and terms, coupled with the previously alluded to fact that some of the terms we use are terms or names modern collectors or historians put on these guns. The English Type-G/Carolina Gun (modern names) period of use would overlap both the English North West trade gun and the French Fusil des Chase/Fin. The various fowling pieces would overlap all of them. Some of them overlapping in use at one time, but in different places. Smoothrifles would have come into use later than a Type-G and the Fusil des Chase, and fowling pieces, but seem to have been used in a more centralized area until rifle culture spread further north. Then still would not have canceled out the use of the others.

If you dig around here enough you will find some topics and replies from a gentleman who was kind enough to post copies of period ads that mention many of these guns offered for sale. Often using terms such as fowling piece, birding piece, fusil, smoothrifle gun, "neatly made," and "finest quality," as well as a few others.

Back