• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How many muzzleloaders have you built

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't remember how many I've built. Quite a few, 15 or 20 maybe, mostly scratch builds. What I do know is that I've never built one that has been perfect after I pondered it for awhile after it was done. There's always been a little detail or two that I wish I had done differently. The last two are approaching perfection though. Which just means that I haven't found the defects yet.

.... Just neat pics of some of my scratch builds . Fun stuff ... :)

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1683163652432.jpg
    FB_IMG_1683163652432.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221130_174415.jpg
    IMG_20221130_174415.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230304_123906.jpg
    IMG_20230304_123906.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230826_165227.jpg
    IMG_20230826_165227.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221130_185847.jpg
    IMG_20221130_185847.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1690664270946.jpg
    FB_IMG_1690664270946.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230522_120737.jpg
    IMG_20230522_120737.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230414_113738.jpg
    IMG_20230414_113738.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Did a kit for an uncle back in early nineties and he liked it so much he would show all people walking past his house. Well evidently one he showed it to liked it so much they broke in and he never saw it again! Ha he is an idiot though just thought y’all could appreciate one Uncle Bob story!! There are hundreds!!! I did resurrect a Cva Mountain Stalker that was my dads and am currently doing an old CVA Kentucky .45cal that I finally acquired all parts for even a new unbelief barrel. Also have an Ardesa that really needs complete overhaul but that’s last on my list. Then on to my dream rifle, a Kibler SMR in .36 I almost bought the one that just sold here on the classifieds but decided as much as I liked it I’d love it if I built it, so that’s me!!!

Seven, but since the Kibler isn't really a "build" but more like an "assembly and finish" it's six. Two Chambers kits on the bench now: colonial pistol in .54 and a Lil' Fella kit for my wife that I'm working into a representative Berks incorporating features from RCA #22 and #28. Have had to set aside several of the kit parts and buy or make replacements to make it a Berks!

As a side note, I'm fortunate to own rifles from some top builders including Dave Person, Larry Williams, and Mike Brooks #288 that has the most beautiful piece of wood I've ever seen. My skills are feeble compared to these guys, but I have sold all my builds except the Kibler, which is my small game rifle.

Picture is Brooks #288. Mike...no one has ever been able to tell me what created that figure and I can't find online pictures of maple with figure like that. I've guessed crotch wood, but would love to know, if you remember that one.
2023-01-23_11-33-07.jpg

It's stump wood. One of the most stunning I have stocked a gun around. I don't believe the lid is my work. Was that a .69 rifle? I did a big .69 in that kind of wood too.

My first gun was from parts from Dixon's gun shop back in the earlier 70's to build a Bedford Co. style rifle in .32 cal., I had George Deck, local builder change the lock to percussion, poor flintlock. Next gun was a Chambers, jaeger style, forget the caliber, next was again a Chamber's Haine's style in .50 cal. I then built a .50 cal. J.P.Beck style .50 cal. brass barrel pistol, which I still have, can't imagine how that happened! Next on the list came the Kibler kits, 2 colonial style in .54 cal. and one SMR in .45 cal., last gun is a 20 gouge Chamber's English fowler.

Seven, but since the Kibler isn't really a "build" but more like an "assembly and finish" it's six. Two Chambers kits on the bench now: colonial pistol in .54 and a Lil' Fella kit for my wife that I'm working into a representative Berks incorporating features from RCA #22 and #28. Have had to set aside several of the kit parts and buy or make replacements to make it a Berks!

As a side note, I'm fortunate to own rifles from some top builders including Dave Person, Larry Williams, and Mike Brooks #288 that has the most beautiful piece of wood I've ever seen. My skills are feeble compared to these guys, but I have sold all my builds except the Kibler, which is my small game rifle.

Picture is Brooks #288. Mike...no one has ever been able to tell me what created that figure and I can't find online pictures of maple with figure like that. I've guessed crotch wood, but would love to know, if you remember that one.
View attachment 262964
It's stump wood. One of the most stunning I have stocked a gun around. I don't believe the lid is my work. Was that a .69 rifle? I did a big .69 in that kind of wood too.
I love striped maple, but that is stunningly beautiful!

Just curious how many muzzle loaders have you hobbyist builders have made? For the non-professionals among you...do you keep all your pieces? Sell or give some away? Have a large collection after many decades at it?
What? Do you know how close to the edge you are right now? You are on the road to having racks line the walls, two plastic garbage cans in the corner of your man-cave, one full of stocks, one barrels. Cigar boxes with parts on every flat surface... turn back. There's still time...

You are so right! That is what I used years ago to make shooting BP target rifles.
I am over 80 and closing down my cabinet shop and am breaking out a large lumber supply before giving all stationary tools to one of my sons . Yesterday I found four boards of walnut, each 12' long by 8" wide by 2-3 inch thick. This lumber was given to me from a relative of the person who harvested in 1904. I see several gun stocks waiting to be released. A new catalogue was just ordered from Dixie gun works. Not sure if this will be possible at my age.

Ken.

well, the first was for my wife, then a scratch built, then a bunch of tinkering with Thompson Center parts - more or less a frankenbuild, then three from Kibler ... probably a colonal fowler later on ...

Hi, my name is Matt and i'm a flint addict... (i see myself standing on the little stage in the church basement

I’ve built 7 scratch guns and about 4or 5 of those poorly machine inletted “kit” guns…sometimes I re-examine my first scratch build, and swear I’m gonna redo it right on a gorgeous unique curly maple stock I bought dirt cheap…but my first gun is a symphony of mistakes and “don’ts” that has had great influence on every gun that followed it…it’s pretty pathetic, overweight, chunky but it does shoot well.

Latest posts

Back