• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

DIY Bore Butter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi. I’m new here, but a muzzleloader enthusiast for years. I know there’s a lot of options out there, and just as many recipes for bullet and patch lube for muzzleloaders. I am using BP for propellant and have used T/C Bore Butter as a lube for many years. I do like the idea of a non petroleum “natural” lube and with the now scarcity of T/C products, have decided to try to make some of my own lube. A good friend who casts bullets for a living, and also makes his own BP lube, uses Beeswax and olive oil. I was going to do this myself, but then I read somewhere that as far as ph was concerned, that coconut oil was much more neutral. Seems to me that would be a good attribute, and thus a coconut oil/beeswax mixture might be a better alternative. What do you all think?
I haven't mixed it with anything to make bore butter. But I have been using straight coconut oil for patch lube for a long time and it works great for me

I haven't mixed it with anything to make bore butter. But I have been using straight coconut oil for patch lube for a long time and it works great for me
Good to hear. I was wondering since the ph is neutral, if coconut oil would have enough lubrication properties? Another concern is that it seems to have a very low melting point. (Then again, olive oil is already liquid at room temperature, so well, what the hey!) - J

Good to hear. I was wondering since the ph is neutral, if coconut oil would have enough lubrication properties? Another concern is that it seems to have a very low melting point. (Then again, olive oil is already liquid at room temperature, so well, what the hey!) - J
Probably a great lube. I dropped it because of that melting point. Too much hassle to anticipate what it will do next. Mixing it with other substances may be one option but while the mixture may not liquefy at 76f and above it will change the viscosity of the mixture on warm days and cold days. It just makes it impractical to have to adjust the methodology of it's use. It's probably fine if your practice is to lube quantities of patches in advance at home or wherever. Not a good idea to fill the grease hole in the stock of an SMR with it.

Probably a great lube. I dropped it because of that melting point. Too much hassle to anticipate what it will do next. Mixing it with other substances may be one option but while the mixture may not liquefy at 76f and above it will change the viscosity of the mixture on warm days and cold days. It just makes it impractical to have to adjust the methodology of it's use. It's probably fine if your practice is to lube quantities of patches in advance at home or wherever. Not a good idea to fill the grease hole in the stock of an SMR with it.
Ok, excuse my ignorance … what is an “SMR”?

SMR, Southern Mountain Rifle. A term applied to rifles of the Southern Mountain states that were often simple but not always. The simple ones are often described as Poor Boy rifles. Often they would have a grease hole let Into the side of the stock.

DSCN5433_R_Sells_patchbox-4045945393.jpg

TOW Mink Oil mix in pure Bear Oil to desired consistency (I like it about like toothpaste), keeps the mink oil from hardening in extreme heat cold and the Mink oil makes the Bear oil from becoming water-like in hot weather.

TOW Mink Oil mix in pure Bear Oil to desired consistency (I like it about like toothpaste), keeps the mink oil from hardening in extreme heat cold and the Mink oil makes the Bear oil from becoming water-like in hot weather.
That’s great. I’m sure it would work well. But bear oil isn’t something you just pick up at any local store. I think I’ll try the beeswax and coconut oil.

Latest posts

Back