• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How many muzzleloaders have you built

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve built 7 scratch guns and about 4or 5 of those poorly machine inletted “kit” guns…sometimes I re-examine my first scratch build, and swear I’m gonna redo it right on a gorgeous unique curly maple stock I bought dirt cheap…but my first gun is a symphony of mistakes and “don’ts” that has had great influence on every gun that followed it…it’s pretty pathetic, overweight, chunky but it does shoot well.
Y'know, if S&W or Colt does that, the gun immediately becomes a priceless one-off collectible. I don't think you are marketing yourself to your full potential.

I put my first CVA pistol kit together in the early 80s, then did some kind of Kentucky rifle kit, then a TC flintlock rifle kit probably a Renegade, then another CVA pistol and an Uberti .53 cal Sante Fe Hawken kit. I stopped for years then I got bit by the Flintlock bug four years ago after joining the NMLRA and going to nationals. I did a Kibler SMR, redid a CVA pistol, then built a Chambers PA Fowler kit.

I'm currently building my first build from a blank based on an Albrecht. I have another Chambers PA Fowler to do for a friend and a Pecatonica boys size flintlock rifle for my son up next. After that I have parts for two scratch builds.

All the flintlocks, doglocks, wheellocks, snaphaunces, miquelets, started from a block of wood and barrels as a plain billet, but the locks for the most part started as rough castings so I can't say I "built" any as someone else originally made the lock or copied lock parts. I can say I have made a half dozen golf ball mortars as I made the master pattern then poured the bronze ect. Of course considering I scaled down an original is it still one I made?

Is assembling someone else kit building a gun?
Is copying an original building a gun or just reproducing another's?

Big into "center fire" but got the Muzzleloader but maybe 10+ years ago. Met a Guy at the range and after a while, discovered he was a "brother from another mother". ;) He and I got into Muzzleloading with the purchase of a couple o FIE's that I got at auction. Turned out they were from one of the members here. :thumb:
Found a MZ for sale that was a kit, put together, fired, put away and not cleaned. Learned what would work and what wouldn't. Swapped a few barrels, learned about the "electrolysis" thang.
Picked up a "kit" (collection of parts) from one of the members here, stated the build but in a short time, I burned myself out. "Kit" got put aside and parts went into hiding for close to a year. Parts finally came out of hiding so I figured I'd better find a builder or it (the kit) would NEVER get finished. Found a builder. shipped the partial built kit and some $$$ off to him for him to do his magic, Kept sending him $$$$ till he hollered Uncle!!
Got the BUILT Flintlock Fowler back in AAAA++++condition!! Beautiful build job!! :cool::cool:
Figured I would never shoot it so found a buyer. Buyer loved it but had to hide it to sneak it into the house without his girlfriend seeing it. :D
So, no real from "start to finish builds", just a few parts swap to get it right but it's the thought that counts. ;)
Did throw together a pistol kit for one of the guys at work. He got it as a B Day gift and after a time, figured he better get someone to put it together for him or it would be just another box of "stuff". :oops:

Is assembling someone else kit building a gun?
Is copying an original building a gun or just reproducing another's?
Definition of the word "Build""
"construct (something) by putting parts or material together"

I'm just a lowly gunstocker

So you didn't mine the iron, forge the barrels and locks for those 400 guns you assembled?

Last edited:
One, a T/C Hawken flinter I put together some 30 years ago. Still use it. I replaced the lock with one I bought from a member here. Can't remember the lock maker, maybe Siler. Shot it with my grandson Wednesday.

Latest posts

Back