• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C renegade v/s CVA mountain rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wv_mingo327

32 Cal
Reaction score
New to the forum was just curious as to which rifle is better of the two the T/C renegade or the older CVA mountain rifle I currently own the renegade in 50.cal but really enjoy the look of the CVA rifle in question. I have a really nice CVA 4 screw patch box stock lacking a barrel I guess my real question is do I sell the T/C and debarred the CVA or stick with the T/C? Iv searched around for a barrel for the Cva can’t seem to find one unless I go full custom which is a nice little chunk of $$.
Thanks for any info/help

Interesting question, I have 2 USA made CVA mountain rifles, in 45 and 50. They are both very accurate and comfortable to shoot. I have been considering a renegade but have never seen or held one. There is really zero interest in ML where I live. My interest in the Renegade is because of the 56 cal smooth bore barrel that they made. I’d love to have a combo of rifle and smoothie.

Interesting question, I have 2 USA made CVA mountain rifles, in 45 and 50. They are both very accurate and comfortable to shoot. I have been considering a renegade but have never seen or held one. There is really zero interest in ML where I live. My interest in the Renegade is because of the 56 cal smooth bore barrel that they made. I’d love to have a combo of rifle and smoothie.
The renegade is a really nice rifle and there is a ton of after market parts available for the T/Cs but I really enjoy the feel of the Cva . You wouldn’t be interested in coming off of that 50 mountain rifle would ya ?

The renegade is a really nice rifle and there is a ton of after market parts available for the T/Cs but I really enjoy the feel of the Cva . You wouldn’t be interested in coming off of that 50 mountain rifle would ya ?
Not interested in selling it. I just re contoured and finished the stock and installed an L&R RPL percussion lock. It shoots!

For what it's worth, I have a couple of Renegades and have had a CVA Mountain Rifle and CVA Hawken. In my experience, the Renegade and Mountain rifle are both really accurate and dependable rifles. Quality of parts/build quality for everything but the barrel goes to the Renegade hands down. The barrels for the CVA's are every bit as well made as the Renegade. But, both go bang very accurately every time I do my part. If aesthetics are your primary care, then the Mountain rifle is hard to beat. I'd say put up a wanted add in the classified section and see if anyone may have a barrel for the Mountain Rifle stock you already have.

which rifle is better of the two the T/C renegade or the older CVA mountain rifle
Horse apiece, I own both
Don't sell the Renegade, the Renegade platform is too reliable and versatile to part with, there is so much you can do with it.
If yours has the though stock tang bolt keep it!
I hear ya about that 4 screw MR stock, those things are great also, but they have been out of production for so long and most have passed through many, many hands. The locks and triggers are usually good and can still be repaired/reconditioned and tuned to fine operation even today.
It's the wood that suffers. Because of their age the wood has dried and become compressed in key areas, the lock and trigger mortise may need some help. Don't disrepair, info for easy fixes of those issues are available here on this forum and others.
The re-barrel is the tough part. Spendy, and cost prohibitive in today's market,, Your lookin at $350-400 for barrel/breech and drum that'll fit new. And 125-150(plus shipping) to have a found old barrel reconditioned.( you have to find the barrel first, they are out there)
Shoot the Renegade, keep the MR stock and keep looking. When you get the posts and time in, watch the classifieds here, bargains come up from time to time,,
Good luck,,

Last edited:
I have a brand new in the white traditions 50 cal 28 in st Louis Hawken barrel if you are interested. Don't know about fitment I will let go for $100 plus shipping

i own several of each the renagade won't come close to the accuracy of the mountain rifle unless you are lucky enough to find one of the T/C round ball barrels 1 in 66 twist they both shoot the same load but out at 100 yards the renagade because of its heavier barrel is easier to hold on target. the lock and trigger on the mountain rifle are easier to tune. as you can adjust both the lock sear and the set trigger. you can get a barrel to fit your stock from deer creek products

Its too bad, about 15 years ago I picked up a mountain rifle stock that needed a barrel and trigger guard. I got them both from Deer Creek. They don't have any parts left any more. The barrel was one of their produced barrels supposedly from the machine purchased from Douglas barrel. It is very accurate. When I bought mine, they still had 10 in stock.

i own several of each the renagade won't come close to the accuracy of the mountain rifle unless you are lucky enough to find one of the T/C round ball barrels 1 in 66 twist they both shoot the same load but out at 100 yards the renagade because of its heavier barrel is easier to hold on target. the lock and trigger on the mountain rifle are easier to tune. as you can adjust both the lock sear and the set trigger. you can get a barrel to fit your stock from deer creek products
I have a CVA Mtn Rifle with one of the deer ck barrels in 54 cal it's a shooter for sure. It is by far my most accurate 54 cal rifle and it looks great.

I cannot comment on the Renegade but I have 2 T/C Hawkens, one flint & one Caplock. I also have a CVA Mountain Rifle in 58cal. The T/C guns are just a better rifle with stronger locks. All shoot about the same with Patch and ball though the CVA is 1-66 and the T/C`s are 1-48 twist. If I were you I`d just stick with what you have but keep an eye out for a barrel or whole CVA. I wouldn`t get rid of the T/C.

While not the Mountain Rifle, I just sold two CVAs (Lynx in .54 and Bobcat in .50) and bought two TCs ...

New to the forum was just curious as to which rifle is better of the two the T/C renegade or the older CVA mountain rifle I currently own the renegade in 50.cal but really enjoy the look of the CVA rifle in question. I have a really nice CVA 4 screw patch box stock lacking a barrel I guess my real question is do I sell the T/C and debarred the CVA or stick with the T/C? Iv searched around for a barrel for the Cva can’t seem to find one unless I go full custom which is a nice little chunk of $$.
Thanks for any info/help
The answer to this question is along the lines of is Ford better than Chevy?

Each rifle has their own advantages. The Renegade with the flatter buttplate is easier on the shoulder when shoooting. The CVA with its curved buttplate requires a different shooting position or the curved buttplate will dig into the shoulder. These should be shot with the buttplate resting in the pocket between the shoulder and the bicep with the rifle across the chest. The CVA (or Traditions) barrel in either the Spanish or USA manufactured configuration are good accurate on target barrels.

I would stick with the T/C and search for a CVA Mountain Rifle barrel in the caliber you don't have to expand your traditional muzzleloading experience. Have patience, these barrels do show up.

Duck Creek bought up the CVA parts when CVA went in-line only. A couple years ago in a phone call to DC I found out they had barrel blanks, but only made up a few at a time. Don't know if that still holds true, but a quick call should tell you.

Latest posts

Back