• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How many muzzleloaders have you built

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out of my nearly 400, I haven't had a muzzleloader to shoot in 25 years.
So Mike, I guess that means you have no recent and regular personal knowledge of up to date muzzleloader usage? :p

(This question mimics a question posed to me by none other than a lawyer, when I was providing expert medical testimony under oath. They tend to make a big deal about "current" knowledge.)

And knowing how much muzzleloading technology has changed in 300 years, I'd say your all good there.

I have built 4 pistols from kits, all 50 caliber. I have never built a rifle, but I have restored 3 of them in the past. All of the rifles were in terrible shape when I acquired them. I disassembled them and stripped all of the metal and stocks. The pieces were either refinished or replaced by me. I had to replace a few parts. Every rifle went into regular use by me and the 2 I eventually sold. --- My very first attempt to build a muzzleloader was in 1978. My wife bought me a Miroku, .69 caliber, British, Brown Bess kit as a wedding present. I knew nothing about muzzleloaders at the time. There was no internet for online research. I knew nobody that was into muzzleloaders at that time. The kit came with no instructions, and I went to the store where she bought, only to learn that none of the kits there had any instructions in them. My only reference was a picture on the box and The Daniel Boone tv show. I would occasionally get the kit out, look it over, attempt to fit things together, and then put it all away. Needless to say, I totally failed with that flintlock. I eventually sold it to a friend who had been bugging me about it for a few years.

My build history:

Started with a CVA Mountain rifle (USA barrel) 1978. Percussion
CVA Kentucky rifle flintlock 1979

Big time gap, finished college and training.

Felt that I could do better than the kit quality of CVA so I found Jim Chambers somehow. (preinternet).

Chambers Early Lancaster in .58 cal 1994
Chambers York in .50 cal 1996
Don Stith Hawken style .58 cal (Stith recommended by Jim Chambers) 2000

Another big gap due to kids.

Chambers Virginia rifle (Mark Silver) .58 cal 2023
Chambers Pennsylvania fowler 20 gauge started last week

Summary:
2 CVA kits
4 Jim Chambers sets
1 Don Stith set

Multiple refurbishments of abused Traditions and CVA rifles.

So, is there a difference between assembling and building?

I did collect enough parts over the years to put together a TC Renegade/Hawken. Started with a barrel, then some sights and a ram rod, then a stock with lock and trigger. Not much skill involved. Just like putting a gun back together after cleaning.

After thinking about it, no, I’ve never built one as others on here have, but I did assemble some parts to make a rifle.

Valid point @Banjoman. My Clay Smith Trade Gun is the only one I felt like I truly built, but still not a plank build. All the rest were assembly’s. However, I enjoyed the process on each one and each presented a learning experience. And my hats off to the many fine, professional builders that we have on the forum. Lots of talent here to learn from.

I'm pretty new to the muzzle loading world. I built my first kit thinking I wanted a nice long rifle for my collection. But I enjoyed the process so much, I've started my second kit, ordered my third kit, and have an antique fowler in need of restoration on the way. I'd like to get my skills honed a bit and then try a scratch build. It feels like I could have found a lifelong hobby. Then of course the nagging question of "just how many flintlocks does a man need?" starts to creep in.

Just curious how many muzzle loaders have you hobbyist builders have made? For the non-professionals among you...do you keep all your pieces? Sell or give some away? Have a large collection after many decades at it?
During my years in association with Fred Miller. I built a bunch of guns each year from his seconds stocks that would have been kindling as most people would not have the skills or desire to mess with. The completed guns were sold at the spring and fall shoots at Friendship and other events. It turned out to be a bunch of guns each year, plus the customers that came my way because of the exposure at these venues. My guess at least 150 or more. BJH

1 wheellock pistol from a maple plank, 6 pistols from precarved stocks/sets 2 long guns with partial precarved stocks ( only barrel and ramrod groove, hole done), 9 Kibler kits, 1 Clay Smith/Mold and Gun Shop kit (Fusil Fin) and 7 or 8 Pecatonica sets ( rifles and Fusil de Chasse).
Currently working on a previously started and New England long Fowler.

Last edited:
I got the bp bug when I bought an original rifle. Wanted to learn about bp, so I bought a kit rifle. Learned how to load and fire the kit rifle and the hook was set. No turning back now.
Since then, I have built six rifles and two pistols. All for my personal use. No more building. I am done. No mas.

So, is there a difference between assembling and building?

I did collect enough parts over the years to put together a TC Renegade/Hawken. Started with a barrel, then some sights and a ram rod, then a stock with lock and trigger. Not much skill involved. Just like putting a gun back together after cleaning.

After thinking about it, no, I’ve never built one as others on here have, but I did assemble some parts to make a rifle.
There are four categories.

Kits that snap together.

Kits that require minor fitting of parts.

Kits that require major fitting of parts.

Scratch builds that begin with a gaggle of random parts and a plank of wood.

2 one kit traditions(gift from my son, built for grandson)
DSC03287.JPG
one plank
1.JPG
tomsbuild3.JPG

Exactly. I probably made 50 guns for myself but somebody always threw down a big stack of cash in front of me. Can't say no when you have bills to pay.
Ah good grief Mike, you're not that far away from me. I get my Kibler SMR done I'll drive down some afternoon and let ya shoot it so as you can get the fever. OR just order a Kibler kit for yourself and shoot it, you may not have as much temptation to sell it. Just a thought! :)

1 only.
I did nothing more than buy all the bits and design what I wanted.
My local BP man was a 2 year wait so I enlisted his Off sider who was doing a few, sometimes for him.
Came out very neat. A 60 year old lady (at the time) from a wood carving Club agreed to do the carving. She had never even seen one before. Was surprised at the hardness of the Maple. Not perfect but I'm happy. 50 cal Green mountain, Siler LH. Shoots v well. 👍🇦🇺

Attachments

• 20191010_125200.jpg
    20191010_125200.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20191010_125124.jpg
    20191010_125124.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20191010_125205.jpg
    20191010_125205.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20191010_125116.jpg
    20191010_125116.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
Only a few. The last couple was from a black walnut I cut and had milled then dried in a tobacco barn for a couple of years. One of them got burned up in a house fire. I don't do any anymore.

Latest posts

Back