• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Member - Pilgrim

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
About me:

Personal:
Married 51 years; two sons, grandchildren and great grandkids

Firearm general interests:

Black powder (flintlock and percussion) is part of my firearm hobby. Also enjoy reloading, collecting (have C&R FFL), restoring rifles and pistols, casual shooting and local military rifle matches, casting rifle and pistol bullets and casting mini balls .50, .54, and .58 calibers. I prefer to purchase swaged lead round balls, but in a pinch, I have all the molds.

Current black powder interests:

Have two flintlock rifles. (a) Pennsylvania Long Rifle, .45 caliber, rifled, private gunsmith R.N. Chadwick, Chad's Ford, PA; 44” octagon rifled barrel, OAL 59”; tiger stripe maple stock, brass patch box.
(b) Traditions Kentucky .50 caliber; built from kit
Have several percussion rifles:
(a) Pedrosoli .54 caliber1859 breech loader - I make paper cartridges with cigarette paper and tie with silk thread
(b) Arami Sport .58 caliber 1861 Springfield rifle
(c) Thompson-Center .50 caliber Hawken built from kit in 1975

Memberships: NMLRA, NRA, and GOA. Magazine subscriptions: Muzzle Blasts, American Rifleman and Handloader

Military history:

U.S. Marine Corps 1965 - 1969; Vietnam 1966-1967; Sergeant (E5)
U.S. Air Force 1971 - 1987; retired Senior Master Sergeant (E-8)

Post-military professional:

Baylor University, Waco, Texas1987 - 1994; Environmental Health and Safety Officer
Arizona Registered Sanitarian (Public Health Inspector) 1994 - 2006; Yavapai and Gila County Health Department
Department of Homeland Security 2006 - 2015; San Luis Valley Region, Colorado
Retired 2016

Other hobbies:

Build and fly fixed wing radio-controlled aircraft (electric, nitro and gasoline power)
Dry/Primitive camping with our high base bumper pull RV (bring water, generator) with wife and dogs (two cute, affectionate little male Morkie puppies - 10 pounds each - excellent audio and visual surveillance systems!

Life is good - NEVER sell your guns or you'll suffer seller's remorse later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from Upstate NY.

I'm also an R/C (fixed wing) pilot. Several gassers as well, but mostly electric lately. Soooo much easier than nitro/glo. Big, goofy 84"foam Carbon Z Cub is a hoot to fly, especially on floats. Just putting together ("programming") a Multiplex Heron 2.4m glider with as many bells and whistles as I can cram in my "old" 8FG transmitter. Looking forward to some relaxing and quiet soaring.

I see now the FAA wants a person to register every "UAS" (remotely controlled airborne unit, aka "drone", over 0.55 lbs) they fly or want to fly . . . so I have to get down in the basement and make a list. I have a Contender 60 down there that's probably 40 years old and NOW it's a threat to national airspace.

Welcome from Upstate NY.

I'm also an R/C (fixed wing) pilot. Several gassers as well, but mostly electric lately. Soooo much easier than nitro/glo. Big, goofy 84"foam Carbon Z Cub is a hoot to fly, especially on floats. Just putting together ("programming") a Multiplex Heron 2.4m glider with as many bells and whistles as I can cram in my "old" 8FG transmitter. Looking forward to some relaxing and quiet soaring.

I see now the FAA wants a person to register every "UAS" (remotely controlled airborne unit, aka "drone", over 0.55 lbs) they fly or want to fly . . . so I have to get down in the basement and make a list. I have a Contender 60 down there that's probably 40 years old and NOW it's a threat to national airspace.
Stumpkiller,

FAA used a broad brush when crafting UAS regulations. Fixed wing pilots like us can't let their aircraft fly more than 150 yards away or we start to lose perspective and control. We are not a problem. Drones have much further range and have interfered with first responders. Irresponsible drone pilots caused FAA to act.

Now here is my flintlock ignition struggle. They don't always go BANG!

My .50 caliber Traditions frizen was not hardened. So, a friend of mine has a welding shop, I purchased hardening compound from Track of the Wolf, and we followed instructions. More sparks but not always. Only other factor is flint. I think flint leading edge must be parallel with frizen face but not sure what shape leading edge should be. Always be sharp or are blunter edges ok?

My .45 caliber Pennsylvania Long Rifle seems to have a hardened frizen, sparked well when it arrived. Last time at the range had ignition problems with both rifles. More to the point no sparks.

This morning I carefully wiped both frizens with alcohol wipe pads. Wow! They both sparked ok. I think I have a lot more to learn about flint management ... especially how to knap flint.

Any sage suggestions will be very much appreciated!

Latest posts

Back