• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloader kit price increase

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USMC2828

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hey y’all, is it just me or has the price of basic traditions and investarm kits increased significantly? When I built my first Kentucky long rifle kit I remember paying just 300 dollars for it at Cabelas. Now you’re hard pressed to find one under 350$. The same can be said for all other kits. The pistol I built just this past summer has increased 35$ since July on muzzle-loaders.com.

Not to mention the lack of selection and uniqueness of the kits. No more small caliber kits, no more smoothbore, and hardly even any 45 caliber kits in stock. It kinda takes the wind out of my sails when I only have the option to build yet another 50 caliber kit, and then it costs me hundreds of dollars for a weapon I essentially already have. I remember when traditions had the Shenandoah kit, and the deer hunter kit in different calibers, including a 32.

I know there are quality kits available in a plethora of options, but some of us can’t spend upwards of a grand on a hobby.

Building kits went from an affordable hobby to a frustrating example of how tone deaf manufacturers are.

Thanks for hearing out the rant.

Hey y’all, is it just me or has the price of basic traditions and investarm kits increased significantly? When I built my first Kentucky long rifle kit I remember paying just 300 dollars for it at Cabelas. Now you’re hard pressed to find one under 350$. The same can be said for all other kits. The pistol I built just this past summer has increased 35$ since July on muzzle-loaders.com.

Not to mention the lack of selection and uniqueness of the kits. No more small caliber kits, no more smoothbore, and hardly even any 45 caliber kits in stock. It kinda takes the wind out of my sails when I only have the option to build yet another 50 caliber kit, and then it costs me hundreds of dollars for a weapon I essentially already have. I remember when traditions had the Shenandoah kit, and the deer hunter kit in different calibers, including a 32.

I know there are quality kits available in a plethora of options, but some of us can’t spend upwards of a grand on a hobby.

Building kits went from an affordable hobby to a frustrating example of how tone deaf manufacturers are.

Thanks for hearing out the rant.
Have you priced a dozen eggs recently?

I know that everything has gone up in the last year, but it’s more than the price of kits. The selection and options available have decreased significantly. They don’t make any small caliber or smoothbore kits anymore and I think that’s a real shame.

My friend i also feel the shock of supply n demand. Thats the covid curse on America, no one wants to work. It takes workers. I don't buy .50 cal kits, you find a .45 if you the luckyest man around. I am building a .40 cal Underhammer kit. My kit less bbl. should be here this month, my bbl. is going to be made n i should have it by May

The cost of a .32 Crockett kit is hardly any different than a finished Crockett.
Exactly. It takes away from the point of buying a kit. Not only was it a fun way to customize your rifle, but it was also a nice way to save a little bit of money. I get it why younger people gravitate towards inlines when traditional rifle prices are so high….

My friend i also feel the shock of supply n demand. Thats the covid curse on America, no one wants to work. It takes workers. I don't buy .50 cal kits, you find a .45 if you the luckyest man around. I am building a .40 cal Underhammer kit. My kit less bbl. should be here this month, my bbl. is going to be made n i should have it by May
The issue here is, not many kits are made in the US. Those that are domestic, like Kibler, are hardly entry level in terms of price.

Yes but what about the lack of options and calibers? It’s a bigger trend than just price increases.

I know that everything has gone up in the last year, but it’s more than the price of kits. The selection and options available have decreased significantly. They don’t make any small caliber or smoothbore kits anymore and I think that’s a real shame.
Market share is shrinking. Less interest in traditional style guns . Companies can dedicate machinery and labor to the top selling items and streamline operations. Having the same Hawken style rifle in 45, 50, 54, and 58 caliber, but 80% of sales are for the 50 cal make it easy for the manufacture to focus resources. I don't like it either but as they say, " it's just business ".

My daughter pays about $20 a dozen considering what her feed costs and how few eggs she gets from her half dozen old hens and one pet female turkey. That’s even considering one turkey egg equals about two hen eggs. 😆

My daughter pays about $20 a dozen considering what her feed costs and how few eggs she gets from her half dozen old hens and one pet female turkey. That’s even considering one turkey egg equals about two hen eggs. 😆
I calculated my cost at about $3 a dozen for free range eggs. That price will go down to around $1.50 a dozen once the days get longer (higher egg production) and warmer (more natural forage, bugs, worms, etc.).

The ducks on the other hand are in their yearly slump , Peking duck may be on the menu soon.

My wife bought me a kit-built TC Pre-Hawken a few years ago. It has the nicest wood I have seen on a TC. I did not build it, she bought it built. It is also a very professional job. She bought it in a small-town pawn shop for $150. Do not forget pawn shops in small towns; I have recently purchased three like new Investarms Hawken style [Cabelas etc, in three different shops] for $200, $180 and $220. Only one shows any use and that not much, Polecat 🦨

Latest posts

Back