• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How many caps do you use in a year ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only use caps in my revolver. Once the load was developed, I haven't and won't use more than 50 a year. I carry it in the woods for whatever, but hardly ever fire it. Not to brag but to clarify, I practice A LOT with unmentionables to stay proficient, and handgun shooting practice with most any of them keeps you sharp with most any other. But if Killer makes a Hawken, my cap use will be increased hugely.

Haven’t counted for sure but I think I went through about 250 to 300 last year. I’m hoping to cut back the number to around 100 to 150 this year. I am a hunter first and foremost. After sight in (again) this spring I”ll most likely use caps for hunting and after cleaning only, or if an accuracy issue develops.

I’ve done enough target shooting in my life.

Considering making my own caps and use those for everything except hunting.

KY Ron, this is an interesting thread.

Last edited:
A lot of posts about finding caps and getting caps lately; made me curious how many you go through a year . Is it the revolver shooters that are always looking for caps or rifle shooters too ? I shoot my flinters more than my caps these days but between my two cap locks I'm going through about 100 caps a year. I've been lucky enough over the last couple years to score several tins from walmart. I think I have enough based on what I shoot , but you never really know. Carry on.
Muskets and carbines. Between competition and instruction- about 6000 per year

When my kids were younger and home we would go through 1200-2000 a year. They have flown the coop, and I've gotten older...and have taken a big interest in flint. Still use 200-300 most years. I have a new ROA I have yet to fire, so cap usage probably will go back up, I have a few years supply and will buy more as I can.

It depends on what I am shooting. Back when I was doing light bench and cross stick competition I would go through probably 2 to 3 thousand a year shooting in the competition every weekend and practicing usually 2 or 3 days every week.

Good thread, had to seriously think about it. Somewhere between 150-300 maybe? I like to take whatever I'm hunting with in a particular year and have a couple of good range sessions with them. Then whatever I use when hunting, as I always touch it off at the end of the day. I bought a Ted Cash rifleman's capper a couple of weeks ago that is the cats a$$, holds almost a whole tin. And I will always take at least one revolver when I go to the range just because they are fun to shoot. Guess I need to be conscious of how many I'm burning, not that easy to re-supply these days.

Latest posts

Back