• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Homemade Pin Drilling Jig

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So as a necessity to my in progress Ped Kentucky rifle project, I needed to build a pin drilling jig that could accurately and repeatedly drill holes for the new pins. I did this before on my drill press with my pistol build but it was much easier to hold in place than what this long rifle will be. So after looking at several designs and price points, this is what I came up with. I like making my own tools to solve problems as much as I like building! Plus the cost was less than $10.

Standard 2” c-clamp with the clamping rod removed. It was threaded M10-1.5. I replaced it with a similar 40mm long nylon metric bolt with the head cut off. Placed nuts and washers on each side of the threaded clamp arm to lock it in place so it won’t move (wobble). Drilled a hole through the center, best I could by hand, with a 6” long 5/64 drill bit until it touched the other side of the side of the clamp pad and made a small divot. I then center punched the divot to keep the bit from walking and reinserted the long drill and continued drilling into the clamp pad so that the hole was perfectly aligned to the bit. I then cut a small piece of pin and ground a center point on it and installed it into the hole on the far side of the clamp. This gives me 1-1/2” width and 1-1/4” depth which is plenty clearance for drilling my stock.

Simply place divots in the desired locations. Place the pin in one divot to help hold position and move the piece until the drill bit aligns with/into the other divot. This so far, has proven to be very accurate (due to the 1-1/2” long nylon “bushing”) and the fact both holes are perfectly aligned and there is not extreme distance between the two contact points (possible deflection).

I practiced an a piece of broom handle, drilling in different locations and it worked quickly and perfectly! I tried it several ways setting a depth gauge and drilling almost all the way through, removing the jig and completing and drilling all the way through until it touched the pin. Either way produced the same result. The true test will be on the rifle of course but it sure looks like it should work, just go slow!

View attachment 119574View attachment 119575
great idea

When I needed one I went with one that I saw in a book. I think the book is Recreating The American Longrifle.

It's used with a drill press. The type made with the C clamp would be the way to go if a drill press is not available.

20220116_134630_copy_600x800.jpg

I've never used a guide to drill pins. I measure from the top of the barrel to the bottom of the tenon, the subtract until I get to a spot where the tenon meets the barrel,then add a smidgen then drill. Never missed one yet.

very clever looking tool ... how did you get the hole in the plastic to line up so neatly? gotta make one of those for myself ... to date, i've used a gadget similar to the longcruise set- up, but moving the rifle stock around (and getting it to sit still) can be problematic.

Thanks! Just trying to give back. Honestly, did it with a hand drill and by eye, it’s not so imperative that it’s perfectly centered through the nylon bolt. What matters is that it remains perfectly aligned across and into the other side of the clamp with out walking or deflecting. It just “looks” better centered and sets the bit up better to hit the other side straight on insuring perfect alignment.

Another little help is..... If your hand drill is flat on the back end, you can attatch one of those little round levels too it with double sided tape.
Have the stock level in your vice, and your stock marked for the holes, then drill the holes keeping your eye on the level. It works for me.

Dave

Attachments

• 20220128_194418.jpg
    20220128_194418.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 21
Another little help is..... If your hand drill is flat on the back end, you can attatch one of those little round levels too it with double sided tape.
Have the stock level in your vice, and your stock marked for the holes, then drill the holes keeping your eye on the level. It works for me.

Dave

Very good, simple solution! Is there some method you used to verify that the flat on the back of your drill was square to the axis of the chuck jaws and drill bit? Or is it just coincidence that it is?

Sadly, I think the rear of my drill is very round.

I just eye-balled the back of it, and it looked flat, so I tried it. It is not a big drill, its smaller than most, and its a only 3/8th chuck, and 12 volt batteries. Its name brand is "KIMO" i got it from Amazon. its a good drill for working on our guns.
In fact I think they have it on Special right now @ $39.99.
Search "KIMO" on Amazon.

Dave

Last edited:
I did something similar except I used tubes. I ran a single tube with a 1/16" inside diameter through the C clamp and set with epoxy. Then I sawed out the middle. I now knew both tubes were in perfect alignment. Next I marked/dimpled on either side of the stock where I want to pins to appear. I then put a pointed 1/16" pin in each tube. push them into the marks/dimples and then clamp down the jig- securely in place. I then pull out the pins and drill in half way from each side- doing it that way insures I don't accidently chip out any wood on an exiting drill. The holes so far have always lined up fine.
HERE's the thing, if you use a drill press, you have a big expensive piece of equipment, lots of bells and whistles but a 1/16" bit can flex and on a drill press you can have the far side exit hole off center. Jigs- like that shown actually work BETTER. Never off.

Back