• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Homemade Pin Drilling Jig

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So as a necessity to my in progress Ped Kentucky rifle project, I needed to build a pin drilling jig that could accurately and repeatedly drill holes for the new pins. I did this before on my drill press with my pistol build but it was much easier to hold in place than what this long rifle will be. So after looking at several different types, this is what I came up with. I like making my own tools to solve problems as much as I like building! Plus the cost was less than $10.

Standard 2” c-clamp with the clamping rod removed. It was threaded M10-1.5. I replaced it with a similar 40mm long nylon metric bolt with the head cut off. Placed nuts and washers on each side of the threaded clamp arm to lock it in place so it won’t move (wobble). Drilled a hole through the center, best I could by hand, with a 6” long 5/64 drill bit until it touched the other side of the side of the clamp pad and made a small divot. I then center punched the divot to keep the bit from walking and reinserted the long drill and continued drilling into the clamp pad so that the hole was perfectly aligned to the bit. I then cut a small piece of pin and ground a center point on it and installed it into the hole on the far side of the clamp. This gives me 1-1/2” width and 1-1/4” depth which is plenty clearance for drilling my stock.

Simply place divots in the desired locations. Place the pin in one divot to help hold position and move the piece until the drill bit aligns with/into the other divot. This so far, has proven to be very accurate (due to the 1-1/2” long nylon “bushing”) and the fact both holes are perfectly aligned and there is not extreme distance between the two contact points (possible deflection).

I practiced an a piece of broom handle, drilling in different locations and it worked quickly and perfectly! I tried it several ways setting a depth gauge and drilling almost all the way through, removing the jig and completing and drilling all the way through until it touched the pin. Either way produced the same result. The true test will be on the rifle of course but it sure looks like it should work, just go slow!

79BEFB87-D07F-4504-8E05-840EFCFD591A.jpeg
69B2F309-33BD-4119-8702-2FFDFB86D292.jpeg

Last edited:
So as a necessity to my in progress Ped Kentucky rifle project, I needed to build a pin drilling jig that could accurately and repeatedly drill holes for the new pins. I did this before on my drill press with my pistol build but it was much easier to hold in place than what this long rifle will be. So after looking at several designs and price points, this is what I came up with. I like making my own tools to solve problems as much as I like building! Plus the cost was less them $10.

Standard 2” c-clamp with the clamping rod removed. It was threaded M10-1.5. I replaced it with a similar 40mm long nylon metric bolt with the head cut off. Placed nuts and washers on each side of the threaded clamp arm to lock it in place so it won’t move (wobble). Drilled a hole through the center, best I could by hand, with a 6” long 5/64 drill bit until it touched the other side of the side of the clamp pad and made a small divot. I then center punched the divot to keep the bit from walking and reinserted the long drill and continued drilling into the clamp pad so that the hole was perfectly aligned to the bit. I then cut a small piece of pin and ground a center point on it and installed it into the hole on the far side of the clamp. This gives me 1-1/2” width and 1-1/4” depth which is plenty clearance for drilling my stock.

Simply place divots in the desired locations. Place the pin in one divot to help hold position and move the piece until the drill bit aligns with/into the other divot. This so far, has proven to be very accurate (due to the 1-1/2” long nylon “bushing”) and the fact both holes are perfectly aligned and there is not extreme distance between the two contact points.

I practiced an a piece of broom handle, drilling in different locations and it worked quickly and perfectly! I tried it several ways setting a depth gauge and drilling almost all the way through, removing the jig and completing and drilling all the way through until it touched the pin. Either way produced the same result. The true test will be on the rifle of course but it sure looks like it should work, just go slow!
Very neat indeed! :thumb: So simple, but perfect for the job. Thanks for sharing a great idea.
Larry

Awesome! Are you by any chance making your pins out of bicycle spokes? I was wondering why you used a 5/64" bit instead of a 1/16" or 3/32" like I've seen most pins to be sized, but if those spokes are 2 mm like the straight gauge ones I've built with, that makes a lot of sense

Haha, Yup! Very observant. Had to replace my sons bike wheel a couple years ago and just couldn’t bring myself to throw away all those spokes! Just about used them all up on other projects. They do make great pins and I’m all about taking what I got and making what I need, that’s half the fun.
EF05A87E-ECFA-42D8-B733-8C24A3781FFC.jpeg

Great idea! Thanks for sharing - don't tell anyone, but I'm definitely stealing that idea.

Hey, thanks for giving me a new use for old bicycle spokes. Like you, I couldn't toss those bits of high quality wire.

Looks like a good job on a handy tool.
I have seen a few pictures of these before. Someone, Joe Wood or Fred Stutzenberger have made and written about them in years past and how well they work. I can see why they would.

Back