• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TOW English Sea Service Kit Build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the downside is it doesn’t spark well at all.

Call Jane, get clearance to send the frizzen back to Jess. He will make it work better. TRS expects you to send the frizzen for case hardening and heat treatment.

So in thinking the frizzen was no good, after tempering, lightly grinding off the surface layer, changing flints, changing flint angle, insuring the geometry was ok, balancing the main to frizzen springs, etc, etc, etc, I committed to learning how to re-sole a frizzen. Figured I can’t make it not spark any less than it already isn’t. I’ve been intrigued on how to do this, whether brazing on or riveting on a new sole. So I ordered up some high carbon content 1095 on Amazon which sparked infinitely better than the frizzen did on the grinding wheel. Looked promising so I chose to rivet it to the dead frizzen. Here’s some pics of the process. Down side is it STILL WILL NOT SPARK after hardening and tempering it. So I’m at a loss and currently have a beautiful static display! But hey, it was only $199. With the money saved I guess I have a few options: replace the frizzen, buy a new Chambers square flange lock and cut to fit the mortise or find a quality replacement lock to fit or one that’s slightly oversized the mortise and be done with this frustration! Although I did learn a new skill and that’s worth the price of admission!

old frizzen
IMG_6378.jpeg

1095 “Sole”

IMG_6379.jpeg
Grind to @ .030 to .040” thickness and bend to shape.

IMG_6381.jpeg

Last edited:
Clamped, marked, drilled (5) 5/64” holes. Pin holes as you drill so they remain aligned. Note: Anneal the frizzen first to soften it so you can drill it. Center punched and drilled holes in the flat frizzen face first. Then used them as guides to drill through the sole.

IMG_6386.jpeg

Countersink all holes so rivets will swag out and really grip and deburr so sole will lay flat.

IMG_6395.jpeg

IMG_6394.jpeg

Last edited:
SUCCESS! Skirting a file across the face it still seemed a little soft, so I heated the frizzen face up again until bright cherry red this time then water quenched. I installed it back on the pistol and now it has great spark! I just needed to step away from it for a while and think things through and recheck my work. This should do quite nicely! Can’t wait to fire it!!!

72AA320D-66FD-4735-BA3A-E2B45718D12F.jpeg

FWIW, the Rifle Shoppe uses 6150 spring steel for their frizzens. It can't be tempered. It has to be case hardened. I have tried both that and re-soling it. The case hardening will wear off after a while. The re-sole is good for the life of the frizzen.

It makes smoke! Got a chance to test it today at my son in laws. First shot was 1/2 charge 15gr 3F and a fiber wad. Second was 30gr and fiber wad, third was 30gr and .600 ball with .010 patch. Worked fine, no issues. The sights appear to be decently aligned at least windage wise. Only got to shoot it 4-5 times but overall a great success and very satisfying!!!

9360691E-50DA-4A41-82CF-DF9DE373AF0A.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back