• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nose cap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You cannot use modern anything to build a traditional muzzle loader. You must be an apprentice for a very long time and learn how to do everything the old ways. Once you have helped build several hundred arms your master gunsmith teacher will help you set up a shop of your own. That isn't happening. I will use everything and anything, be it a wire welder, milling machine, superglue, epoxy compounds, and the like to build my guns and cannons. They will look, shoot and last just as long as any built without the use modern equipage. Sometimes better and longer.

I don't believe epoxy existed back in those days. I've built a couple hundred muzzleloaders, never glued a nose cap on any of them.
Epoxy resin didn't exist back then, but shellac did and could have thickeners added if needed to do the same job. Still it would
I don't believe epoxy existed back in those days. I've built a couple hundred muzzleloaders, never glued a nose cap on any of them.
Epoxy resin didn't exist then, but Shellac did and could be thickened if needed with wood dust etc., for use as a bedding material or used in solution with alcohol as an adhesive if the parts were closely fitted. Of course Shellac would have been expensive being sourced as it was and is mainly from India. Wood Pitch would be an easier to obtain material and sets just as hard.

Not sure I agree with your research there. I have it on good authority, based on lots of primary documentation, that the original builders considered epoxy essential, and many refused to build without it.

Indeed! It's well known among re enactors that every community of any size had at least one skilled practitioner who provided epoxy to their neighbors.

On.a more serious side, how would hide glue work in this situation?

Hide Glue is not an epoxy adhesive it is a heat activated collagen adhesive. I.e. you heat it in a double boiler until it is a semifluid liquid apply it and let it cool to harden. Epoxy adhesives work by a chemical reaction between the resin and the hardener.

Hide Glue should however work in this application, but personally I prefer Shellac either alone, filled or in an alcohol solution. The original hard sealing wax works too since it is essentially color filled Shellac. Assuming it can be still found that is. Old 78 rpm records is one source of black shellac most were made from the stuff.

You cannot use modern anything to build a traditional muzzle loader. You must be an apprentice for a very long time and learn how to do everything the old ways. Once you have helped build several hundred arms your master gunsmith teacher will help you set up a shop of your own. That isn't happening. I will use everything and anything, be it a wire welder, milling machine, superglue, epoxy compounds, and the like to build my guns and cannons. They will look, shoot and last just as long as any built without the use modern equipage. Sometimes better and longer.

Yes. If you can't see it, there's no reason to build the original way. Modern materials and methods makes for a better gun. The metal used then was not as refined as much as now. It is easy for me to be hunting in the 1750s if my rifle looks exactly like a new original, if my clothes are wool, linen, and leather, if my lunch jerky was prepared in an electric dehydrator, etc.
BTW, did Phillips head screws exist in the 1700s? Killer supplies them with his kits..

Back