• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nose cap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike in FL

45 Cal.
Reaction score
My Colonial kit is going slow but well. Until I got to the nose cap. Jim's video clearly shows how to install it - fitting, gluing, and pinning with brads. He show sliding it on and off several times as he fits it, removing little bits of brass and cleaning up the wood. I did that. After 3 tries it still would not slide on. So I tilted the cap a bit at the barrel and tapped it into place with a wood mallet. Okay now it was time to take it off and apply apply the apoxy. Then after the glue dries, Jim takes the stock from the barrel with the cap glued to the stock.. Then he drills for the little brad nails and pins it to the stock. I left to buy some epoxy. . Got home only to discover I could not pull the nose cap off. Try as I might I can not get it to move. Not even with padded channel locks.
My question is, because its stuck in place, perfect fit, do I even NEED to take it off. So far I've done things just like Jim shows but now I'm wondering, especially because Jim said don't rely on the epoxy. What say you?

I’m no expert but, if it were me. I’d put the barrel back in the stock and see if the nose cap lines up and is symmetrical with the side flats of the barrel. If it looks good from all angles then do as Dangus said and pin it. i guess it goes without saying that, that’s an area which will take a lot of use and abuse from loading. The pins will be more stable. If it doesn’t line up with the side barrel flats, you could try getting your wife’s hair dryer to heat up the nose cap to remove it.

I have always preferred using a flat head wood screw to attach the nose cap. Here is a redrawn idea that works for me. I copied the illustration from Pete Alexander’s The Gunsmith of Grenville County p. 189.
6129EA93-6E32-4A9C-A60C-86BD993202B4.jpeg

2FA42A7F-2E5D-4C37-8DD3-453017F3C772.jpeg

I like Phil Coffins copper rivet idea. I was putting together one of the Woodsrunners yesterday and the 4-40 brass screw for the nose cap cross threaded and snapped off. I spent about 1/2 hour getting it out.

My Colonial kit is going slow but well. Until I got to the nose cap. Jim's video clearly shows how to install it - fitting, gluing, and pinning with brads. He show sliding it on and off several times as he fits it, removing little bits of brass and cleaning up the wood. I did that. After 3 tries it still would not slide on. So I tilted the cap a bit at the barrel and tapped it into place with a wood mallet. Okay now it was time to take it off and apply apply the apoxy. Then after the glue dries, Jim takes the stock from the barrel with the cap glued to the stock.. Then he drills for the little brad nails and pins it to the stock. I left to buy some epoxy. . Got home only to discover I could not pull the nose cap off. Try as I might I can not get it to move. Not even with padded channel locks.
My question is, because its stuck in place, perfect fit, do I even NEED to take it off. So far I've done things just like Jim shows but now I'm wondering, especially because Jim said don't rely on the epoxy. What say you?
Agree with Dangus.

Epoxy was very expensive and had to be shipped from some when else with very high import taxes. Thus you don’t see to many originals with epoxy.
So I’ve never used much. I like bees wax if I need a filler and brads. I use two, set at .45 angles on both side.
Not sure I agree with your research there. I have it on good authority, based on lots of primary documentation, that the original builders considered epoxy essential, and many refused to build without it.

Not sure I agree with your research there. I have it on good authority, based on lots of primary documentation, that the original builders considered epoxy essential, and many refused to build without it.
I don't believe epoxy existed back in those days. I've built a couple hundred muzzleloaders, never glued a nose cap on any of them.

The initial discovery of a generic "epoxy" chemical reaction was in 1909 by a Russian chemist. Initially "used" in the 1930's by two Swiss dentists. In 1946 "Sylvan Greenlee, working for the Devoe & Raynolds Company, patented resin derived from bisphenol-A and epichlorohydrin."

Yeah, original rifle makers used epoxy.......right.

Back