• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Kentucky barrel pins too short

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Varga

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I drilled out for the barrel pins on my Traditions Deluxe Kentucky kit and the pins aren't as long as the forestock is wide. Any ideas for replacing with some other media? I drilled the holes with a #32 bit (0.1160 inches · ≈ 7/64 inches rounded down · ≈ 1/8 inches rounded up · = 2.9464 mm)

Last edited:
They don't have to be as wide as the stock.

It's better that they're not as wide as the stock.

The extra bit of hole helps align a pin punch for future pin removal.

Round off or taper the ends well.

Gently press them in and center the pins in the stock.

Pack holes with bee's wax and coconut oil mix.

Go make smoke.

I drilled out for the barrel pins on my Traditions Deluxe Kentucky kit and the pins aren't as long as the forestock is wide. Any ideas for replacing with some other media? I drilled the holes with a #32 bit (0.1160 inches · ≈ 7/64 inches rounded down · ≈ 1/8 inches rounded up · = 2.9464 mm)
I bought brass rods and replaced mine in an old CVA Kentucky long rifle. Also used said rods on my kibler, instead if the sterl ones , that came with it.
Mark
Amazon has a pack of mixed sizes.

It's better if the pins are somewhat inset from the stock than level with the stock. I would hazard a guess that this would be clue to remove more wood!!

They don't have to be as wide as the stock.

It's better that they're not as wide as the stock.

The extra bit of hole helps align a pin punch for future pin removal.

Round off or taper the ends well.

Gently press them in and center the pins in the stock.

Pack holes with bee's wax and coconut oil mix.

Go make smoke.
Good idea rounding off the pins a little to help them start through the hole. Makes it easier to start them and lessens the chance of damage coming out the other side of the stock.

It's better if the pins are somewhat inset from the stock than level with the stock. I would hazard a guess that this would be clue to remove more wood!!

I agree. Those stocks seem to be very thick and slab sided. They can be taken down a lot and will look much better that way. Once the thinning is done the pins will probably be too long.

Don't shape to the pins. Go slow. Stop and think.

Don’t sand down the wood at the pins, what will look much better is to sand, file, the full length of the forearm. A trim forearm is a handsome forearm!
Yep, it's a kit, not a fully formed rifle. Lots of wood to be removed!

Back