• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

HELP Shotgun Choices??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
May I ask why not an original Gents?
There are plenty about in shootable condition and often handle extremely well.
I don't have a repro double.
Prices are often cheaper than reproduction.

dscn3258_212.jpg

May I ask why not an original Gents?
There are plenty about in shootable condition and often handle extremely well.
I don't have a repro double.
Prices are often cheaper than reproduction.

View attachment 255134
Yea...

A question I still ask myself why I didn't. When I got the pedersoli I could have got whatever i wanted price kinda didn't matter even.

So I was 4g budget looking for a skin case to go with it.

Being new to this. Not knowing any of these manufacturer names or etc.. and we'll I didn't want to buy maybe it works i need it to work... or a nice old one for big$ that yea you can see it's nice and is going to work but don't know anything else about it. if I new more about the makers etc choke gauge nipple size Max load etc it be different. just starting to recognize names on makes of some.

Last edited:
Eye candy time....View attachment 182538
Late 70's 12g Pedersoli.
View attachment 182543an 1983 Pedersoli 12g
View attachment 182549
10g.
Thank you for the pictures, seeing that pheasant reminds me of hunting with my Dad here in PA years ago, we don't see them here any more, sadly!
I had another incident with a pheasant, while driving to work one day in my Austin Healy 3000, one flew across the front of the car and took my rear view mirror off! I never did find that bird and the mirror was just hanging on by a thread! Memories!

I've got the pedersoli 10ga double, I've also loaded with plastic wads, shychief, VM STARR, traditional and anything in-between. For me it's the VM STARR method. I just really started using it like I should. Here's some Photos of some of my success.... this is my first turkey ever and my first blackpowder dove. This gun got me back into hunting game other than deer. Gor deer I only use longbow or recurve.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210522-084012_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20210522-084012_YouTube.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230907_023834_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20230907_023834_Messenger.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210501_074723.jpg
    20210501_074723.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
I've got the pedersoli 10ga double, I've also loaded with plastic wads, shychief, VM STARR, traditional and anything in-between. For me it's the VM STARR method. I just really started using it like I should. Here's some Photos of some of my success.... this is my first turkey ever and my first blackpowder dove. This gun got me back into hunting game other than deer. Gor deer I only use longbow or recurve.
Nice bird, do you have any issues with plastic wads? My experience is that they leave melted plastic residue in my barrel that is hard to remove.

Plastic wads do leave residue, but I find that if I flush with water, and then hit the bores with a nylon bore brush, it comes loose on about one pass. Since I took the nipples out to flush the bores, it's easy to then blow out the plastic gunk in a wad.

It does get harder to load if you are shoot a lot, as one can shooting clays. My 20 gauge Pedersoli is good for about 25 shots per barrel.

One fine old member from Alaska, Brownbear (RIP), reported that he simply put an over powder card in before the plastic wad and that solved the issue for him.

Plastic wads do leave residue, but I find that if I flush with water, and then hit the bores with a nylon bore brush, it comes loose on about one pass. Since I took the nipples out to flush the bores, it's easy to then blow out the plastic gunk in a wad.

It does get harder to load if you are shoot a lot, as one can shooting clays. My 20 gauge Pedersoli is good for about 25 shots per barrel.

One fine old member from Alaska, Brownbear (RIP), reported that he simply put an over powder card in before the plastic wad and that solved the issue for him.
One reason for the excess plastic residue might be that I was shooting them out of one of my originals that's bore wasn't quite as smooth as my Pedersoli. I'll try using an over powder wad to see if that helps. Thanks for the response.

@griffiga when loading with the Ballistic
Products non toxic shot wads I didn't have alot of plastic fouling and what little there was came out easily with a wire bore brush. You will want a dedicated bore brush for this part of the cleaning process. The way I loaded was powder, nitro card, half inch olive oil soaked fiber wad/ or pre-lubed felt wad , plastic shot cup, 2 overshot cards. Having all that lube and cushion between the hot gasses and plastic cup really helps.

Mine has killed many ducks and a bobcat. 12g, SxS Pedersoli, with an improved and modified choke (non-removable).

With a smooth bore and shot, it's less about the gun, and more about the loading technique. I've got The same gun to have paper plate patterns at 30 yards, and then spread shot over it 10 ft section at the same range depending on how it was loaded.

It will take quite a bit of practice to get it patterned, but when it's patterned, it will be the most satisfying thing, every gun can shoot tight patterns at long ranges with the proper load. Figuring out that load, to me, is a lot of fun.

I've got the pedersoli 10ga double, I've also loaded with plastic wads, shychief, VM STARR, traditional and anything in-between. For me it's the VM STARR method. I just really started using it like I should.
I had not heard of Mr Starr, although I know some shooters prefer cards only over powder without any cushion wad in the load column. Not yet tried it myself, but looked up Starr's method and found his writing informative and entertaining.
http://home.insightbb.com/~bspen/starr.html

Modified is good.
Mine has killed many ducks and a bobcat. 12g, SxS Pedersoli, with an improved and modified choke (non-removable).

With a smooth bore and shot, it's less about the gun, and more about the loading technique. I've got The same gun to have paper plate patterns at 30 yards, and then spread shot over it 10 ft section at the same range depending on how it was loaded.

It will take quite a bit of practice to get it patterned, but when it's patterned, it will be the most satisfying thing, every gun can shoot tight patterns at long ranges with the proper load. Figuring out that load, to me, is a lot of fun.
Modified is a good choke

to work a little further but my 10ga cyl shoots good cylinders patterns with simple loading id say but long range I don't know.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back