• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Shotguns?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waiting on a flintlock deluxe 20 gauge. The .62 caliber kodiak barrels ( also flintlock) would make a nice pairing
I have them both, beautiful guns and you will be pleased. Call the Italian Firearms group, I would think they could order a barrel for you. I have done business with them and they are very good.
The only thing I find available right now is 10 and 12 shotgun barrels in Percussion. If you had a Kodiak rifle, a shotgun barrel would replace having to buy 2 guns. I have a couple double rifles I turned into 2 barrel sets. AR-7 is where I got them. Not sure if they have any more, but they were also great to deal with.

Another thing to add as reliability goes is to replace the standard nipples with those for musket caps.I have the single trigger plains/baker model and love it
I have not had a problem with the nipples. I did however buy a few sets of nipples that changes them to 209 primers. I have never actually tried them yet, but one day I will have to try them out at the range on something.

Shotgun triggers are slapped not pulled. I have owned 8 Pedersoli SXS's and still have 3. 3 10's and 5 20 gauges. Still have 2 Flint Doubles and a caplock double. Never had any trigger issues. Buy one is my advice. I really like the chrome lined boxes too.

Shotgun triggers are slapped not pulled. I have owned 8 Pedersoli SXS's and still have 3. 3 10's and 5 20 gauges. Still have 2 Flint Doubles and a caplock double. Never had any trigger issues. Buy one is my advice. I really like the chrome lined boxes too.
I've been shooting completive ATA trapshooting since I was 10 and everyone that I have known that shoots a shotgun NEVER slaps a trigger on their shotguns.:doh: Triggers are pulled with confidence.;)

Thanks, gang.

I’m considering buying the Pedersoli at this time.

I’ve been reading a book on Confederate shotguns of the Civil War.

The guns were typically civilian double barrels modified with sling swivels, musket nipples, and occasionally bayonet lugs.

I could send the gun to Lodgewood to have it defarbed and to have sling swivels and musket nipples installed…

I could send the gun to Lodgewood to have it defarbed and to have sling swivels and musket nipples installed…
You have mentioned having musket nipples installed a few times and I have to ask why? I have never had ignition issues with percussion caps igniting blackpowder in a Pedersoli shotgun. It’s a very short path from the nipple to inside of the breech to where the powder is. And as far as installing musket nipples, it’s just a matter of swapping them out with the percussion nipples. Just cleaned mine up after a little bit of skeet this morning and for your benefit ‘installed’ a musket nipple on one barrel and percussion on the other. I replaced the musket nipple after the photography session so I’m good to go for the next outing.
1706386428730.jpeg

You have mentioned having musket nipples installed a few times and I have to ask why? I have never had ignition issues with percussion caps igniting blackpowder in a Pedersoli shotgun. It’s a very short path from the nipple to inside of the breech to where the powder is. And as far as installing musket nipples, it’s just a matter of swapping them out with the percussion nipples. Just cleaned mine up after a little bit of skeet this morning and for your benefit ‘installed’ a musket nipple on one barrel and percussion on the other. I replaced the musket nipple after the photography session so I’m good to go for the next outing. View attachment 289138

Beautiful! I’ve got a bunch of musket caps and have issues with my hands getting numb in cold weather and find them much easier to handle, plus it would be period correct for a Confederate military altered shotgun. :)

I just sent an email to David Stavlo. He’s got another Pedersoli double he defarbed and modified in such a way. Too cool!

I asked him for a defarb, shortening of the stock a bit (I’m a smaller sized man), and to have front and rear military sling swivels installed. Thinking a CSA canvas musket sling would look neat. I’ll be adding some musket nipples too!

I bought that exact gun from DGW as a kit. It patterns very well, it's not too heavy, and I think it looks great. When I go duck hunting with friends, it drops just as many ducks as they do with their semi-auto/pump shotguns.

I've dropped it a few times, and it's gotten wet more than once. Every time I shoot, I meticulously clean it, so I don't know how well it holds up to rust, but other than a spot under the trigger guard that rubs up against my sweaty back when I'm walking, there is absolutely not a speck of rust on the gun. It has probably 1000+ "rounds" put through it, and looks as new as the day it was purchased. The only upgrade it needed were nipples, the stock ones just weren't getting enough flame to ignite substitutes reliably. You could probably drill them yourself, but I just bought ones from Knight.

I wanted to get the 10 gauge version, but they were sold out. I'm glad I got the 12, components are much easier to find. When I'm in duck blinds, I usually pick up all of the dropped, unused shells, and pull them apart for the components. Free primers, wads, and shot cups, and if I'm lucky, I'll find a busmuth or tungsten that can be reused. (I don't shoot steel, period).

The Pedersoli SxS is a great gun in my opinion, and considering today's prices, it's still worth it. It is by far my favorite gun to shoot.

Screenshot_20230924-123112_Gallery.jpg

Beautiful! I’ve got a bunch of musket caps and have issues with my hands getting numb in cold weather and find them much easier to handle, plus it would be period correct for a Confederate military altered shotgun. :)

I just sent an email to David Stavlo. He’s got another Pedersoli double he defarbed and modified in such a way. Too cool!

I asked him for a defarb, shortening of the stock a bit (I’m a smaller sized man), and to have front and rear military sling swivels installed. Thinking a CSA canvas musket sling would look neat. I’ll be adding some musket nipples too!
If you have a bunch of musket caps, use them. If you are ham-handed you may want to consider percussion cap holders. I always have a few tuck away when I go shooting percussion guns. They hold the caps and with a little bit of pressure seat those caps on the nipples.
1706388001611.jpeg

1706388026903.jpeg

I asked him for a defarb, shortening of the stock a bit (I’m a smaller sized man), and to have front and rear military sling swivels installed.
I can’t recall what the billboard on the currently offered Pedersolis looks like, but the visual information was very minimal on the older ones. You had to look for it.
1706388713565.jpeg

With your over all modification are you planning to shorten the barrels? The Civil War period shotguns I have seen had very short barrels. Now I don’t know how common this haircut was, nor would I recommend it unless one was hellbent on copying a specific gun.

Smokey, I had a 10 GA with choke tubes that was very very nice but heavy. Triggers OK and patterned evenly. However before I landed here and knew it was correctable with a file and a beer I sold the shot gun as it didn't regulate PObetweeneb barrels at all. Rt was low Rt and left was low left. Nothing in the center. I would NOT pay the price today. I scored an ASM or whatever 20 dbl on GB for $300 about 6 years ago and it's ECELLENT. Will likely always have it. Be patient!

I can’t recall what the billboard on the currently offered Pedersolis looks like, but the visual information was very minimal on the older ones. You had to look for it.
View attachment 289147
With your over all modification are you planning to shorten the barrels? The Civil War period shotguns I have seen had very short barrels. Now I don’t know how common this haircut was, nor would I recommend it unless one was hellbent on copying a specific gun.

I own the book “Confederate & Southern Agent Marked Shotguns” by Russ A. Pritchard Jr. (excellent read) and the vast majority were not shortened.

But sling swivels of various types and musket nipples were a common addition.

Certainly there were a number shortened and some even made to fit bayonets, but the bulk of the shotguns remained in their civilian configuration.

From my research the double barrel shotgun was highly thought of by Confederate cavalry etc.

If you have a bunch of musket caps, use them. If you are ham-handed you may want to consider percussion cap holders. I always have a few tuck away when I go shooting percussion guns. They hold the caps and with a little bit of pressure seat those caps on the nipples.
View attachment 289145
View attachment 289146

Yep, own several. Still just prefer musket caps on guns that can accept them. Just less finicky than dealing with cappers or the itty bitty #11s.

I own the book “Confederate & Southern Agent Marked Shotguns” by Russ A. Pritchard Jr. (excellent read) and the vast majority were not shortened.

But sling swivels of various types and musket nipples were a common addition.

Certainly there were a number shortened and some even made to fit bayonets, but the bulk of the shotguns remained in their civilian configuration.

From my research the double barrel shotgun was highly thought of by Confederate cavalry etc.
I was basing my observation on a half dozen or so shortened shotguns I have had the opportunity to see and handle in private family collections in the Carolinas. Doubt any of these guns are documented in any books and it’s likely any ‘carpetbagger Yankee’ history book author or photographer, for lack of a better term (for the record, the locals know I was born and raised in NY), were to knock on the door wanting to document things, they may never leave the property. It takes years to gain folks trust.

I am familiar with the name Russ A. Pritchard Jr. Believe he (and his son, Russ III) were charged and convicted of defrauding people out of their family heirlooms, along with causing a legal ruckus on the Antique Road Show, although, it just may be multiple gentlemen with the same name. But I would initially question the validity of your source without more research.

I am familiar with the name Russ A. Pritchard Jr. Believe he (and his son, Russ III) were charged and convicted of defrauding people out of their family heirlooms, along with causing a legal ruckus on the Antique Road Show, although, it just may be multiple gentlemen with the same name. But I would initially question the validity of your source without more research.
Just a follow up on my previous post. Don’t know for certain if this Russ Pritchard Jr. is the author of the book you mention, but he may not be the expert you believe he is.
https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/appellate-courts/F3/346/469/510709/https://www.thereporteronline.com/2008/05/13/antiques-roadshow-appraiser-heads-to-prison/

I've been shooting completive ATA trapshooting since I was 10 and everyone that I have known that shoots a shotgun NEVER slaps a trigger on their shotguns.:doh: Triggers are pulled with confidence.;)
It's a figure of speech used by waterfowl hunters. Surely you are smarter than that. Slapping the trigger=pulling the trigger aggressively as you swing through the target.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a 12 from cabelas in 2016 and it has been a great piece. It has fixed choke barrels and never a problem with hammers or triggers. Only thing I changed was the nipples, replaced them with TCs. Hope this helps, Reds

Latest posts

Back