• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do's and Don'ts when buying first BP shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been a member of a few different hunting/shooting forums for a while now so I know better than to post the old "I want to buy my first whatever, what should I get". Instead I'll give you all an idea of my plans for the gun and you all can feel free to chime in with what I should be looking for in a new BP shotgun, as well as what I should be looking to avoid. Any and all recommendations and advice is greatly appreciated.
This will be my first BP shotgun, I will be using it mainly for turkey hunting, as well as patterning and recreational shooting in my backyard. Might take it out for a goose hunt depending on how much I get into this whole "shooting dirty" business. I have a lot of experience with firearms in general as well as reloading, however I have just never really ventured far into the realm of black powder, but I have borrowed a 10 gauge from a buddy of mine to attempt to kill a turkey this year and I really have enjoyed working with it. I think this is a hobby I would enjoy pursuing, so I intend to purchase a B.P. shotgun of my own. So let me have it, gauges, makes, models, barrel lengths, choke or not to choke? Any and all advice is welcome.
As well as tips on gear, cleaning equipment and any other stuff I need to know to get started properly.

I have been a member of a few different hunting/shooting forums for a while now so I know better than to post the old "I want to buy my first whatever, what should I get". Instead I'll give you all an idea of my plans for the gun and you all can feel free to chime in with what I should be looking for in a new BP shotgun, as well as what I should be looking to avoid. Any and all recommendations and advice is greatly appreciated.
This will be my first BP shotgun, I will be using it mainly for turkey hunting, as well as patterning and recreational shooting in my backyard. Might take it out for a goose hunt depending on how much I get into this whole "shooting dirty" business. I have a lot of experience with firearms in general as well as reloading, however I have just never really ventured far into the realm of black powder, but I have borrowed a 10 gauge from a buddy of mine to attempt to kill a turkey this year and I really have enjoyed working with it. I think this is a hobby I would enjoy pursuing, so I intend to purchase a B.P. shotgun of my own. So let me have it, gauges, makes, models, barrel lengths, choke or not to choke? Any and all advice is welcome.
As well as tips on gear, cleaning equipment and any other stuff I need to know to get started properly.
Double or single barrel? Flint or percussion? From your lots of experience with firearms do you know the drop at the comb, length of pull and castoff that works best for you?

Percussion, double barrel. I have never truly gotten into having a gun "fit" for me. I have always shot pretty much stock or factory shotguns and they have worked for me pretty well. I do have a couple that fit really well and I could likely figure out what drop and such works best. As far as L.O.P. my elephant rifle is 14 3/4 give or take and it fits me very well. If I can figure out how to measure the drop then whatever it is works pretty well for me too. I don't think I will need much in the way of cast on or cast off.

Excellent. I was looking at those. There was also a Taylor's I believe that I saw online. Both looked to be high quality. I only live about 35 or 40 miles from Dixie Gun Works. I suppose I could ride down and chat with them as well. That's where I picked up all the equipment to load for the one I'm shooting now.

I have an unfired Kirkland guns shotgun up for sale on this forum. It was imported and sold by the man who started Dixie Gun Works. Well, before he started Dixie. Take a look at it.
Regards
Stank

If you’re buying new then you’re pretty much stuck with buying a Pedersoli. To my knowledge they are the only company that currently makes doubles. Taylor’s or anyone else selling new doubles may advertise them with their name “taylors” or whoever but they are still Pedersolis. There are some nice older doubles for sale on this forum often. I just sold a nice 40 years old Pietta made double on here a few months ago.

If you’re buying new then you’re pretty much stuck with buying a Pedersoli. To my knowledge they are the only company that currently makes doubles. Taylor’s or anyone else selling new doubles may advertise them with their name “taylors” or whoever but they are still Pedersolis. There are some nice older doubles for sale on this forum often. I just sold a nice 40 years old Pietta made double on here a few months ago.
Only looking at "new to me" I don't mind at all if it is an older or vintage gun. I'm just looking to get into a B.P shotgun

YEARS ago I scored an Italian dbl 20ga for$249.00. LOVE it. Fits me perfect. Shoots excellent and perfectly regulated barrels. Had it jug choked and have to retry for turkey pattern but the Skychief load worked well at 20-25 yds. Once in a while ya get lucky. Was likely 8 years ago though. Today I'm sure it would be listed at $499.00 (and this one would have been worth it).

Last edited:
Also scored a good deal on a .56 TC which I need to try patterning. Gonna need to get m some more #4 but last time I price led shot it had a severe laxative effect 😲

YEARS ago I scored an Italian dbl 20ga for$249.00. LOVE it. Fits me eprfect. Shoots excellent and perfectly regulated barrels. Had it jug choked and have to retry for turkey pattern but the Skychief load worked well at 20-25 yds. Once in a while ya get lucky. Was likely 8 years ago though. Today I'm sure it would be listed at $499.00 (and this one would have been worth it).
It would bring a lot more than $499.

Only looking at "new to me" I don't mind at all if it is an older or vintage gun. I'm just looking to get into a B.P shotgun
The one I use is a beat up original Belgian double from the 1880s. It’s a 16 gauge and kills everything I shoot at with it. I bought it years ago on gunbroker for like $100, cleaned it up and it’s been as reliable as a new one. Just keep looking and something will come up for sale.

On a side note, are percussion caps even available? I have noticed they don't seem to be in stock anywhere. I have a couple hundred I think, but I was just curious if they have become impossible to get, along with large rifle magnum primers.

Also, I would definitely entertain a single barrel. I just really like double guns, but I would certainly look at a single barrel.

I'm seeing the RWS 1075 #11's available in a few places. They appear to be a bit higher than the CCI, which aren't in stock. Are the RWS caps good to go for any standard #11 percussion cap needs?

Latest posts

Back