• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

12 Gauge questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dang gremlins are everywhere! Newly finished flintlock rifle for my son. Took it out to show a buddy. leaned it against my car and I turned around to get something. Turned back around and knocked the thing over on my rough gravel driveway. A few hours of steaming dents out and a week refinishing the stock and she was as good as new.

I was able to use some Balistol to remove the majority of the paint! I had to use a scalpel to remove some small specks that had adhered to the wood/where the finish hadn’t penetrated the wood completely

I was able to bust some clays in the yard this evening with my youngest daughter.

Fun times!

Nice..

The cyl/mod is a better combo I think. If I had to choose. For birds I use the cylinders need them and a mod is nice to be able to let them fly just a little in a field etc before pulling.

It will work for turkey modified is probably the best closer range choke to use. I used browning A5 for years modified great turkey gun.

Pedersoli importers were known to request certain specifications for guns from Pedersoli. At one point, Navy Arms had a lower stock than was standard 14 1/4 with 1 1/2 drop at comb and 2 1/2 drop at the heel (which is kind of the American standard. Dixie used to sell Pedersolis with better chequering, and browned barrels as I remember. Most of the new production is choked cylinder and modified. I think it was Cabela's that started ordering the screw in choke guns. There was also a "Trap Special" that Richard Beauchamp promoted (he held a national or world record for flintlock trap for some time). And, there are some guns that have been jug choked as well. The old Pedersoli production were all cylinder/cylinder as far as I can tell.

Thanks for everyone’s feedback! My shotgun arrived today and man it is awesome! The fit/finish is fantastic!

It seems to shoot well with both 2F and 3F. I think 3F works the best ( it have only fired around a dozen shots).

The barrels are cylinder choked (right side) and modified choked (left side).

I used Britsmoothy’s advice and it worked well.

Now here is the tragedy: I accidentally hit a white spray paint can with some #7 shot from about 25 yards (thought I had the can positioned behind a cinder block. The can exploded at my shot. I carried the gun down to the target to inspect my pattern (leaned the gun against my backstop). I then nudged the paint can with my foot. The can discharged the remainder of the white paint onto the bottom of the butstock of my new shotgun :(

I literally had it out of the box for less than three hours and managed to spatter the rear stock with white paint.

Any good ideas on how to remove the paint without damaging the wood

Thanks
Would have been very helpfull to have immediately rubbed down with alcohol, we always keep a couple of quarts on hand for a myriad of uses, and it is very cheap.

Blitz

Thanks for everyone’s feedback! My shotgun arrived today and man it is awesome! The fit/finish is fantastic!

It seems to shoot well with both 2F and 3F. I think 3F works the best ( it have only fired around a dozen shots).

The barrels are cylinder choked (right side) and modified choked (left side).

I used Britsmoothy’s advice and it worked well.

Now here is the tragedy: I accidentally hit a white spray paint can with some #7 shot from about 25 yards (thought I had the can positioned behind a cinder block. The can exploded at my shot. I carried the gun down to the target to inspect my pattern (leaned the gun against my backstop). I then nudged the paint can with my foot. The can discharged the remainder of the white paint onto the bottom of the butstock of my new shotgun :(

I literally had it out of the box for less than three hours and managed to spatter the rear stock with white paint.

Any good ideas on how to remove the paint without damaging the wood

Thanks
Oh sh!+ !!! Have you tried the finest steel wool you can find ? Wow ....best of luck....

You said chokes I though it was a misspell

Cyl/mod I thought for the 12ga new models anyway. If your just assuming it's full I dunno what to tell you.

Sorry about that, good luck.

The barrels are stamped on there as to what choke they are. I think underside. If that helps
I have one from the 80s and it's not marked on the bottom. I have a post about it from a few days ago with pics if u wanna look to see if u can spot any.

I like lubed felt wads from TOW. I don't know I they pattern the best, but they're so easy to use.

If you’re planning a cavalry charge it can be loaded with these:

13AA3785-A6C0-4604-B2AC-5B43320A0422.png

While today we think of these muzzle-loading double barrel shotguns as for hunting use only, during the period they found great success as an early Civil War Confederate cavalry weapon. They could (and often were) loaded with the standard issue .69 caliber buckshot cartridge and they were considered highly effective.

If you’re planning a cavalry charge it can be loaded with these:

View attachment 288071

While today we think of these muzzle-loading double barrel shotguns as for hunting use only, during the period they found great success as an early Civil War Confederate cavalry weapon. They could (and often were) loaded with the standard issue .69 caliber buckshot cartridge and they were considered highly effective.
Awesome! I need to make some of those!

Back