• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Shotguns?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
DISCLAIMER: I KNOW I’VE BEEN MAKING MORE THAN A FEW SMOOTHBORE THREADS LATELY. I APOLOGIZE. JUST WEIGHING MY OPTIONS FOR A NEW GUN. SORRY!!!

With that out of the way, it seems Pedersoli is about the only game in town for a new muzzle-loading side by side shotgun. Dixie has this 12 gauge in stock:

438E7660-4ED6-40C2-874C-29754C758830.jpeg

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index.../product_name/PS0930+DGW+MAGNUM+SHOTGUN,+12GA
My question about Pedersoli shotguns (currently made ones especially) is are they considered reliable and durable? I plan to use it heavily, not to use as a wall hanger. Any issues to watch out for? Are they genuinely good shotguns, or not so much?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I've been quite happy with mine, but I think they're overpriced. I've been kinda wishing I held out for a quality original instead. I've seen some that are in good condition for about the same price as my new Pedersoli, but I'm certainly no expert.
I will add that for the price that Pedersoli is charging for this gun new, the triggers are abysmal and they should be embarrassed. It's an easy fix to smooth them up, but you shouldn't have to do that at this price point.

DISCLAIMER: I KNOW I’VE BEEN MAKING MORE THAN A FEW SMOOTHBORE THREADS LATELY. I APOLOGIZE. JUST WEIGHING MY OPTIONS FOR A NEW GUN. SORRY!!!

With that out of the way, it seems Pedersoli is about the only game in town for a new muzzle-loading side by side shotgun. Dixie has this 12 gauge in stock:

View attachment 288231

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index.../product_name/PS0930+DGW+MAGNUM+SHOTGUN,+12GA
My question about Pedersoli shotguns (currently made ones especially) is are they considered reliable and durable? I plan to use it heavily, not to use as a wall hanger. Any issues to watch out for? Are they genuinely good shotguns, or not so much?

Thanks!
I can not comment on Pedersoli’s current 12 gauge doubles quality, reliably or durability, but my Pedersoli 12 gauge double proofed in 1978 (AD date code) has fired an untold number of rounds with the nipples being the only wear item. The main difference I noticed with the newer samples I have handled is the weight and pointability. Mine weighs in at just under 6 pounds, 5.8 pounds if I recall correctly (don’t have my data sheet in front of me), and balances and points very well, while the current ones felt like they were barrel heavy and on the wrong side of 8 pounds. I have no idea when this weight gain occurred. Just as an FYI, mine has a serial number in the 500 range.

Good luck with your quest.

I've been quite happy with mine, but I think they're overpriced. I've been kinda wishing I held out for a quality original instead. I've seen some that are in good condition for about the same price as my new Pedersoli, but I'm certainly no expert.
I will add that for the price that Pedersoli is charging for this gun new, the triggers are abysmal and they should be embarrassed. It's an easy fix to smooth them up, but you shouldn't have to do that at this price point.

Yikes about the triggers.

Should I pass?

I will say I love everything about the Pedersoli shotguns. I wish there were more manufacturers that still made s/s shotguns, but I cant find one. As far as being over priced, I think they are priced just fine especially when they are they last ones available new in the world. They are fun to shoot, parts are still available and since the barrels are interchangeable with the rifles, you find a rifle barrel and have a 2 barrel set.

Smokey, I have had them in 10, 12 and 20 gauge, cylinder bored and with removable chokes. I have also had their Kodiak double rifles in .58 and .72, same locks and triggers as far as I know. I agree with Collie that the QC on the triggers is third-world but you get to pay a first-world price. They are smoothable, though and occasionally they are decent out of the box.
If you get a chance to handle a cylinder-bored Pedersoli double, then one with the enlarged muzzle diameter to accommodate screw-in chokes, you will likely find a huge difference in balance and "liveliness in the hands." I simply would not own another of their doubles with screw-in chokes.
After all those doubles, my favorites were a 20-gauge with cylinder bores -- light and lively and it patterned very evenly--and the .58 double rifle with enough meat in the barrels to make firing even the heaviest conical loads quite manageable. The .72 was fun, but too much of a good thing and rather clumsy.
In your quest, do not overlook the earlier, lightweight versions such as the one Mr. Smif describes. Also keep an eye out for the light and handy 12-gauge doubles made for Navy Arms many years ago by Pietta. These light 12s handle the 1-ounce "square loads" wonderfully.

Smokey, I have had them in 10, 12 and 20 gauge, cylinder bored and with removable chokes. I have also had their Kodiak double rifles in .58 and .72, same locks and triggers as far as I know. I agree with Collie that the QC on the triggers is third-world but you get to pay a first-world price. They are smoothable, though and occasionally they are decent out of the box.
If you get a chance to handle a cylinder-bored Pedersoli double, then one with the enlarged muzzle diameter to accommodate screw-in chokes, you will likely find a huge difference in balance and "liveliness in the hands." I simply would not own another of their doubles with screw-in chokes.
After all those doubles, my favorites were a 20-gauge with cylinder bores -- light and lively and it patterned very evenly--and the .58 double rifle with enough meat in the barrels to make firing even the heaviest conical loads quite manageable. The .72 was fun, but too much of a good thing and rather clumsy.
In your quest, do not overlook the earlier, lightweight versions such as the one Mr. Smif describes. Also keep an eye out for the light and handy 12-gauge doubles made for Navy Arms many years ago by Pietta. These light 12s handle the 1-ounce "square loads" wonderfully.
The market in the UK is flooded with repro muzzle loader at auctions a sxs pedersoli in 12 gauge A standard price is £50 - 100 converts too $63 -$127 American it is a buyers market
Feltwad

I have two Pedersoli SXS shotguns - one 12 gauge and one 10 gauge and one Navy Arms 12 gauge made by Pietta. All of them are from the late 70's to the mid 80's. The 10 gauge has very good triggers so does the Navy Arms Pietta. The Pedersoli 12 gauge not so good. The right lock is just ok but the left lock is TERRABLE! Needs a lot of work to have it work like the right lock. Your mileage may vary:dunno::horseback:

I've had a Navy arms branded DP double 12G since around 1980, bought it new for around $300 back then. Always been reliable the only thing I had to do with the triggers was swap them around so the front trigger fired the slightly more open barrel even though they are both supposed to be full chokes. It's held up well to the beating I've given it over the years with heavy loads and rough handling.

I see that you are in southern Illinois, if you can wait for a little while make a plan to go to Friendship to the national NMLRA shoot this summer. Walk around the sheep sheds and the shotgun range and ask, ask ask and you will find a shotgun.

I have bought several originals there at reasonable prices.

I’ve been very happy with my Pedersoli 12 gauge, which is lighter than my modern shotgun. I don’t notice the trigger pull on a shotgun, it feels to me like I’m thinking the bird or the target dead. So I guess the trigger may be bad and I don’t know it.

I will say I love everything about the Pedersoli shotguns. I wish there were more manufacturers that still made s/s shotguns, but I cant find one. As far as being over priced, I think they are priced just fine especially when they are they last ones available new in the world. They are fun to shoot, parts are still available and since the barrels are interchangeable with the rifles, you find a rifle barrel and have a 2 barrel set.
Not to hijack this thread but where can i find another set of barrels? Currently waiting for the deluxe flint to be restocked and having rifled barrels to fit would be nice.
Dp site wasn’t real helpful.

Another thing to add as reliability goes is to replace the standard nipples with those for musket caps.I have the single trigger plains/baker model and love it

Attachments

• IMG_0538.jpeg
    IMG_0538.jpeg
    292.6 KB · Views: 0
Another thing to add as reliability goes is to replace the standard nipples with those for musket caps.I have the single trigger plains/baker model and love it

Thank you. I am reading that many Confederate shotguns were upgraded with musket sized nipples for logistical reasons.

I am curious what would be the proper nipples? Thanks!

I have several and have had a few others. Currently, my 1974 and 1976 models are 12-gauge and have nice, smooth, crisp triggers. The 1983 and 1997 12-gauge have the screw in chokes and the trigger pulls are heavier than the older guns, but under 5# each and crisp. A 2015 20-gauge has excellent trigger pulls. All have been reliable. I have musket cap nipples on all of them. One older gun had and issue. The hammer slipped from me while cocking and it went forward and fired. In doing so, it broke the half-cock notch. I could have bought a new tumbler but I just cut a new notch in the broken one. It half cocks short, but it holds fine and serves its purpose. The two older 12-gauges are fired around 1000 shots each per year and haven't had any other issues.

Latest posts

Back