• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Spectators

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Spectators at the range, how do you handle them?

If you're shooting a muzzleloader at a range mostly you deal with spectators. I get them often and I don't mind unless they interrupt me while I'm attending to my gun, especially loading and taking aim to fire. I try to be polite and answer questions. I've even offered to let folks take a shot or two. This being said ther are some people, quite a few actually, who just don't seem to get a person attending to a muzzleloading gun needs to stay focused. I've finally got to the point where l now let the overbearing spectator know this. I usually start out with a hint like "yeah, these guns are a lot of fun but you really need to pay attention when loading them". If they persist I stop them and become a bit more direct throwing in a safety concern or two. So far it's worked pretty good but it amazes me how often I need to use the more direct approach.

Another thing I've noticed about spectators, many of them tell me they have a muzzleloader they haven't shot for years. If they seem reasonably sane, don't argue the sane thing with me I worked at a gunshop, I suggest they should get into shooting their muzzleloader and offer to help them if they catch me at the range. Heck, I even scheduled a time with one guy but he was a no show, maybe he thought I wasn't sane. 😆

Yep, as best we can, we have to keep rekindling this sport of ours. People sometimes lack social skills to recognize that this is your pastime, and not you responsibility to stop on a dime to teach.

I normally hold up one finger, NO NOT that one, one INDEX finger, and say, "Hold that thought, as I have to focus on loading or I will blow myself up." That does the trick every time, or at least hasn't failed yet. Although..., one guy got testy, saying, "That's not funny." I replied, "Nope, you're right and if I don't get this bullet seated I could bulge or even blow this barrel." That shut him up.

I regard myself whether I like it or not, as a sort of ambassador for the tech and the hobby. So I try to be cordial at a minimum.

LD

Spectators at the range, how do you handle them?

If I can identify them as a gun person (eg maybe they're at the range shooting their AR or hunting rifle, and if I can sense they know what they're doing around guns) and if they express interest (and especially if they express appreciation) I usually offer to let them shoot my gun.

Sell them Ten gauge..

bag of carrots I think sold one yesterday lol the smoke bang and all..

another guy new them but still came over to see what one I had.

There were 3 cars there.. not bad.

With trying new.. I didn't want to be alone in the woods on the blackpowder range.

Last edited:
I've never had a problem with multitasking. Maybe it's my training as a police officer or doing demo's as a blacksmith and talking to spectators and hammering on hot steel or tending the coal fire in the forge.
When someone asks me a question or makes a comment, while I'm loading any of my muzzle loaders, I respond to them and still concentrate on the task at hand PPBR. I also invite interested folks to have a hand at a couple of shots and even taught some the loading drill, made converts to black powder a couple of times..

I am somewhat confused here. I served time as a RSO and the hard and fast rule was ,If one wasn't actively shooting they stayed behind the firing lane. this lane was marked off 4 feet behind the stations. (benches)
the lookie loos were kept away from the shooters. on cease fire they could approach a station if invited.
can't imagine any range allowing dufus to approach an active station.
all that said, i have people that seem to show up every time i shoot here at home. if they start asking questions while i am loading, i stick a powder measure in the bore if i have just poured powder.
if i have short started i leave the short starter in the bore.
and of course i leave the rammer if i have seated the charge.
seems to work for me. until i launch a RR down range!:doh:

I am somewhat confused here. I served time as a RSO and the hard and fast rule was ,If one wasn't actively shooting they stayed behind the firing lane. this lane was marked off 4 feet behind the stations. (benches)
the lookie loos were kept away from the shooters. on cease fire they could approach a station if invited.
can't imagine any range allowing dufus to approach an active station.
all that said, i have people that seem to show up every time i shoot here at home. if they start asking questions while i am loading, i stick a powder measure in the bore if i have just poured powder.
if i have short started i leave the short starter in the bore.
and of course i leave the rammer if i have seated the charge.
seems to work for me. until i launch a RR down range!:doh:
I have had spectators on the sporting clays range, which doesn’t have the stay back kind of rules as a rifle/pistol range.

Back