• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Source for Shot?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have a shotgun coming (Pedersoli 12 gauge side by side) and want to hunt squirrel and rabbits. Maybe turkeys.

Where are y’all getting your loose shot? I’ve harvested some from unmentionable shells but it’s a waste. Thinking #5 for the squirrel and rabbits (should I choose something else?).

Thanks.
Have you rec'd this yet?

Thanks!!

So in a 12 gauge Muzzleloading side by side percussion fired shotgun, what size shot would work best for squirrel and rabbits?
In lead, 4 and 5's. Magnum, Copper Plated or Nickel Plated.
Ballistic Products
Precision Reloading
Roto Metals
Zip Metals
Midway
Graf and Sons

Last edited:
Thanks, gang.

I’ve called every gun shop in a 40 mi radius and not a one sells loose shot. Going to have to go digital.
Try any big box ‘sporting goods’ stores like Cabelas/BassPro and Dunhams that may be nearby. I have purchased from both, though I rarely go to either anymore. I’ve purchased buckshot online from Ballistic Products. Biggest problem has been finding what I want in stock, so suggest not hesitating when you locate some. In the past I’ve heard some complain about having to buy 25 pounds, but that’s only 400 one ounce loads…

If you are looking to try out your gun and don't have any shot, go to wally world and buy a box of the cheapest 25 rounds boxes for 9 bucks and some change until you can find a bag of shot in the size you want. That way you have already pre-measured charges to use. Just cut the end off the shotshell and pour it down the barrel. Don't pass up gunshows and flea markets. In November, bought 9 bags of old paper shotshells for 20 bucks. There was more than 100 shells in those bags of all kinds of calibers and shot sizes. In those old paper shells, the powder is no good anymore but I bought all the shells he had just to have the shot.
Ohio Rusty ><>
i saw a box of 1oz trap shells for 7.95 they are prolly manure to shoot but to tear apart that isnt half bad.

Back